1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

'Complete' Collections of Dolls?

Jun 10, 2010

1. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      To me I want to create a two sets. One a family of dolls I've had for a while (since 05/06) and one a complete set of avatars based from GACKT's stories, lives, plays, animations, etc...

Do you think there will ever come a time when you don't want to buy dolls anymore? (Will you ever be satisfied or will your crave for dollies be insatiable)
      I'm sure eventually I will no longer need any more dolls. As it is I buy and sell too many.

How many dolls do you think you will want to own in the end? Do you think you will ever sell your dolls or trade them?
      I only want 8....but I have too many again already. :lol: oh yes, I've sold/traded over 50 dolls

If you could create one realistic goal for your dolls, what would it be?
      To be perfect

(Extra question) Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time?
      Characters for the most part are pre-made. Otherwise they don't tend to stick around very long....

2. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

I think a 'complete' collection would probably one that fully expressed the owner's concept for their dolls. I don't think that a 'complete collection' will be real to me for a long time-- I love possibility too much.

Do you think there will ever come a time when you don't want to buy dolls anymore? (Will you ever be satisfied or will your crave for dollies be insatiable)

I'm not sure. Right now, it seems that there always a new gorgeous resin person to wish for, and I must restrain myself for practical reasons. But in the future, who knows?

How many dolls do you think you will want to own in the end? Do you think you will ever sell your dolls or trade them?

Well, at the beginning, I said that four dolls would be the limit, and that is what I have (plus two floating heads). In my current circumstances, there is no way to reasonably store any more. I might someday sell or trade some of the resin people I currently have, but I have no desire to do that at present.

My goal is to express their characters.

(Extra question) Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time?

A bit of both. The dolls that catch my interest evoke certain fictional characters that fascinate me, but they always take on their own personalities once they arrive.

3. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

Because I tend to buy in several different ways (pre-existing characters needing specific looks/bargain hunting/ just plain old want) a "complete" collection would mean, to me, everyone having a name, a good faceup, clothes that look right and a reason for being here. It's possible that may happen sometime soon but I still have a LOT of unsatisfactory faceups to take care of ;)

If it happens it won't be any time soon. Every time I think "enough" someone comes out with a sculpt I can just SEE working in the group in a particular way -- or I'm suddenly seized with an idea that won't let go. Spicey is the variety of life, yes?

As many as I'm comfortable with -- which seems to be a moveable feast. And yes I have sold and/or traded many dolls as things shift. (I actually got a pm last night that said "LOL, your former dolls are everywhere! I get to meet one this weekend!") ;)

To look good.

Both. I'm in the process actually, of transforming one of my littles who is a sculpt I love but who never had a real set personality, into a LOTRo character I have fun playing, just because the resemblance is close enough that it will be fun to do! And some are characters created by other people (points to siggy file) who I happen to adore.

4. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      For me, it's a set of characters, a complete family. Then again, a 'complete' collection might be all the dolls I've ever wanted, which would be far too many.

I hope so. I get to the point where I get tired of buying and selling all the time, so I think at some point I will simply come to a stop. That doesn't mean I won't want more, but the drive to save until I have it will probably be gone. I think that once I have the core "cast" of my characters, getting the sides won't be as attractive to me.

At this point, 15 is my personal limit. 12 is what I think I'll probably end up with. There are some dolls in my collection that I will never sell, but I won't write off getting rid of the others. I've sold dolls before, and don't have a problem with it if I get something better in the end.

12 and then no more. I strive to be satisfied with my crew.

I find that if I get a doll that doesn't have a name or character yet, it doesn't stick with me. I try to have a character fleshed out before they get home.

5. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      In my opinion a complete collection would have to be a set of characters that fit with good with each other and I believe a compplete collection will be real to me.

I think there will be a time when I won't want to buy dolls anymore, maybe when I get married or have kids I wont think the dolls are neccesary.

In the end I think I would want to own at least 5 dolls. I think I will sell my dolls and trade them because there is always a chance a new doll that I might fall in love with may pop up.
      To make sure all my dolls fit together and one doesnt stick out like a sore thumb.
      (Extra question) Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time

I only have one doll and her character was made up before I brought her. Her name was too. :D

6. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

I have given myself a complete collection list so I wont go over the top! Also so I wont buy anything outside of that collection. Except I already did so does it count? XD;;

I think so yeah. I doubt I could feasibly have more than 15 and most of those smaller sizes. I've got about five or six on the wish list and... can't see fitting in anymore!

15 tops. That's my cap on dolls. I might sell my Aru one day but I plan on modding her into what I want sooo probably not. XD

Have a house full of creepy pretties? Oh wait realistic goal. Nope sorry, don't have one.

At first there was no personality to them. I just wanted a certain type of doll. Now I do have certain personalities that I want. Most to fit with the stories I made for my first six dolls. XD

7. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      It is more of a set of characters that was created a long time ago, nearly ten years. In time, this collection should be complete, regardless of dolls going out of stock or being discontinued. There will always be a doll out there of the appropriate height and facial style that will fit these characters. There is a current set in my mind of what I would like, their wigs, face-ups, outfits – everything. However this needs to be open minded simply because of income.
      The current set may not quite be made fully simply because I do not have the excess income all the time to continue buying them as I please. It may be nice to think that I do, but the realistic side of me keeps me from doing this. The collection itself will become real to me in time, however the list just has to stay organic, so to speak.
      So far there is only one doll outside of the collection, possibly two. This is only because of my love of Warcraft and I want to make two of my favorite characters in resin form.

I'm positive there will be a time in the future. Mostly because after investing nearly ten grand between fabrics, wigs, eyes, products to do faceups (not to mention the resin dolls themselves), I will be at my wits end. To me that is half of a year's salary, spent over years.

My current plan is eleven resin dolls: nine for the initial set I decided upon, two for Warcraft characters. After that who knows, maybe the little off-topic obitsus will become an obsession like they somewhat are now.

Ten. The last plan for the mini in my mind may just be forgotten, as it's just an off of my mind which would require parts crafted by someone on DoA. (A littlefee dark soo elf with daisydayes hooves...unless I start it soon it won't come to fruition!)

Like most people on this thread it seems, these characters for the initial goal are more set in my mind from years of working on them. Some of them are actually characters friends created for a project, but I mostly work on them.
      As for keeping the two ideas separate, the ones outside of my initial goal are more impulse buys: the LTF Soo Dark Elf and my Soom Amber.

8. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      To me, a complete collection is when you've achieved your ultimate goal in terms of plans, characters and numbers...whatever that may be for the individual collector. I always had a set goal in mind for myself...and that was to express my life experiences through my dolls (like a visual journal of experiences and loves in my life.) And I chose to express this though having characters set in an urban fairytale. Then I built each and every one of them their very own elaborate display space in my home, filled with treasures and personal momentos that fit each character. This provided a natural limit in terms of numbers. (I only had so much display space available.)

Happily, I've just finished accomplishing my goal (just awaiting the shipping of my final doll now) and I'm no longer hunting for new resin (other than possibly adding a faceplate or accessory along the way for one of my more unusal characters that call for such things.):) I always had a pre-determined goal in mind and never had the desire to buy dolls forever (heavens no!)

My final doll total came to 9. I have sold and traded at times over the last 5 years to refine my collection to the perfect mix it is now. But happily those days are now done...my collection is now perfectly "me" and and will remain with me into the future.

I'm now to the point where it's all about happily collecting clothes and shoes and accessories to develop their individual characters into the future. For me, this has always been the goal.;)

All but one of mine were characters I came up with first from my own life experiences, then went hunting for the perfect doll to match. Only the last one has become something entirely different, demanding her own character with a unique twist I never dreamed of. But then, obviously she knew something I didn't...a part of me I subconsciously needed to express because I'm absolutely thrilled about the very special and poignant character that she has developed! (I imagine the magic of Fairyland Littlefees is involved.);)

9. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

I don't think there is such a thing. As long as there are companies producing new sculpts and joint systems, there is always a chance that there will be something you want. To limit yourself with the notion of having a "complete collection" would be torture for me.

There may be periods of months where there are no dolls that I like, but companies are always producing new dolls, so I don't think I will ever be satisfied unless all the companies spontaneously close down and I can't buy anymore. (Let's hope that doesn't happen. though.)

I want to own as many dolls as will fit comfortably in my house :}D
      I would only trade or sell a doll if I found it really wasn't what I expected and I wanted another or needed money

I'd like to buy at least one 1/3 doll this year. Seems reasonable enough, but unfortunately, I have expensive taste >.<

I like to come up with a name and basic personality before they get here if I can, but the small things about them come to me in time.

10. In your opinion, what is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      I think a 'complete collection' for me will never be attained. Eventually, I have my own persona character I want to create a doll of, and all my dolls are unplanned, with no characters. So, unless I find some characters I want as dolls, it never will be complete.

Sadly, I think it's only natural for most people. A lot of times, I like something and don't think I'd ever give it up, but then I eventually do because I've either grown out of it, or have no time for it anymore.

All my dolls can rest assured that they will never be sold or traded, whether I'm in the hobby or not. I see myself owning a few; I really doubt I'd be one of those people who have above 10 (or anywhere near there). As I said, my doll didn't have a story, and it's just by luck the second one I'm saving for does have some kind of dimension because he's connected to my first. I want enough dolls where I can take a picture with them all in a separate closet of shelf just for them, but not so many that I end up not giving them names, or full outfits anymore.

I'd like to start writing again, and Emma and the second doll will be brother/sister, and I know there will be some conflict in their relationship because her brother is a... bad seed. So, I'd like more photostories to come from their relationship.

Well, as I said, the brother has some kind of character, but Emma didn't. She was going to be a bunch of things, but then I realized it was all wrong. Her character is still pretty up in the air, actually.

11. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

I guess a complete collection would be owning all of the characters I want to have shelled in doll form. Though maybe I could have several mini collections completed. Like I could complete each world or set of characters. In that case I would simply need to have each character as perfect as possible (doll with wig/eyes and at least one good outfit) for that world. I have one set almost done. I only intended to shell two characters from one world and I have them. I just need to find the right wig for one of those characters and find a few more accessories to make them perfect.

I suppose I could eventually come to that time. There really aren't that many more dolls I want right now. Two more bodies, and three full dolls. Of course I will still want accessories for those dolls. There is no telling if I will want other characters in the future either.

I don't really know. I have never set a limit on my doll collecting other than to never spend more money than I can afford to spend. If I have 20 dolls then so be it. If I have 50 that is fine as well though finding room for them would be difficult.

Just to have my primary characters in doll form. Right now my goal is simply to get Knox and Ritsuka their bodies this year and get some new clothes for some characters. I always set small goals or I get overwhelmed easily. I can't make much money at one time.

All of the characters existed before the dolls. Kisten is sort of an exception. He was a very small character but I really loved the Lu-wen mold. His story developed more after I had already purchased him in doll form. I was working on Phaolan's story and Kisten's story just sort of developed from there.

12. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      Yeah I guess so, I've though I've been complete twice before though lol.

I don't know. I have thought so in the past, then something special will come up and just turn my head. :) I relaly veliebe after my 6th doll I'll stop. I haven't the space for more.

No I can't see myself selling these dolls, I have sold two dolls in the past but I was never as bonded with those as these guys. 6 will be my limit. 2 Lishes, 2 SID girls, 1 Super Gem male and 1 SID boy. :)

For them to seem as alive in photos as they seem to me at all times. :)

With my first two I had them both figured out before I even picked the dolls out to be them.
      My third doll was different I wanted the doll so I built a new character for her, it was tough because I had to change a whole back story to fit her in and I really didn't know who I wanted her to be as I was happy with the characters I had, I never thought I'd have more than two.
      My 4th was different again, I wanted to create the 'perfect' looking man, by my standards so I worked on fixing his look, then built the character for how the doll would look, then I bought him.
      My fourth was a total accident, I ended up with a doll on the way. I had to quickly make a chacrter for her, when I got her home she wasn't anything like how I thought she'd be, she had her own personality and I didn't need to work on her at all, she came together very easily. We're having great fun together.
      My next doll (I'm saving for now) will be my last, I'm building his character and look together before I order him. :)

13. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      Though my dolls are often long "works in progress" I consider my "collection" complete, as I don't have an end goal in mind (meaning no particular number or having every member of any sort of 'set'). It's pure caprice!

That time has come and sort of gone. I am not so doll-oriented in my thinking anymore. I always used to see the world artistically in doll-form, in one way or the other... now I don't so much. I'm not sure what happened. I think at the age of 43 I finally "grew up". So what now? ^^;;

As few as possible, really! I don't keep things forever, usually. I never go into a project assuming I'll sell it, or I wouldn't find it interesting (it would just be work then, ugh), but Desire Migrates, and I don't interfere with that. I have come to that phase of life where I want as few things as possible, so having a large number of expensive things to fuss with/over/about would be burdensome.

I never had any kind of goal, and have no real interest in setting any. That would take the fun out of it, for me! I let things happen, as I'm inspired, and can afford it.

I have a few roving character types I 'inresinate' off and on, but I don't feel the need to have them all represented in doll form, hanging around permanently. I enjoy a creation project, but if I can't get it right, or don't feel a continued connection, I don't keep the doll.

Raven

14. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      it's very hard to say if i will complete my collection, there will always be new dolls that i fall for :)

I think i will always crave....but i am able to hold off if i REALLY need to

Not a HUGE amount, i would like a decent size containing the dolls i truly love. i mostly like dolls in pairs of two at least :) everyone needs a friend.

To be happy with my dolls :) keep them in great shape and keep photographing them<3

Personalities come in time for me so far^_^

15. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

For me a complete collection is a range of LE dolls coming from say the Soom Monthly Dolls, or the Iplehouse NC or the Soom Mecha Angels, and thankfully I'm not interested in a complete collection. If it's a family of dolls or a set of characters that I have in mind, I think what I want for my collection is sort of forever changing so I can't say what exactly would make it "complete".

Honestly, whenever a new sculpt is released, I'm always going to dream about purchasing them. It can't be helped so no, I don't think I'll ever not want to buy dolls anymore. But I wouldn't say that just because I'm unable to purchase the dolls I want that I'm not satisfied with my current collection. ^^ I have plans to purchase 3 more SD boys for a set of characters I'm creating and then I'm planning to stop purchasing temporarily as I'd like to concentrate on the dolls I do have.

No idea. But because of the lack of space in my apartment, I'm going to have to limit my purchases eventually. ^^ Ideally, I wouldn't want to sell or trade any of my dolls, but if I had to, I would probably do it.

For the moment, I'd like to work on getting a complete outfit for each and every one of them. xD At the moment, my Soom Chrom and Limhwa Mano boys don't have outfits just yet. ^^ In the future, I would love to be able to dedicate an entire room to my dolls just so I'd have a proper place to display them. I'd also like to be able to work on customizations for them on my own - face ups, sewing outfits, creating wigs, etc.

For my earlier dolls, I didn't have anything in mind when I bought them so their personalities came to mind only once I had them with me. But for the next 3 boys I plan to purchase, I've got their characters worked out and I'm looking forward to adding them to my collection. :D

16. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      I eventually want to do a bunch of my characters but they mostly come from different stories/rpgs and don't connect. I have one large story I'm working on and when I get those 3 that part will be complete. I also would like to do a group of Silent Hill characters and that would be something like a set. But it's probably unrealistic. I'm good at that.

I honestly don't know.

I don't know how many I'd like. I have several planned in my head but sometimes I plan one and then that character gets set aside and I'm not sure if I want to go on and make a doll from them. I did sell Joel's old body (I LOVED it but he just couldn't stand!) and got him one he can stand in but that's all really. Jaida also got a double-jointed body instead of her original. Andy will probably graduate to SD because the character who goes with her I can only picture as an SD.

Hmm...I'm working on getting my Lishe I've been wanting. So I guess getting her a rad faceup.

Except for Jaida, I had characters planned already before the dolls came along. Joel has been with me and evolving for nine years! Andy was a recent creation but she's still been around for a couple of years now. My new Lishe is based on a character developed shortly after Andy. Jaida was the only difference. She was the first and I got her because I liked the mold. She started as a different character and she evolved into my little pin up girl.

17. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      A complete collection for me is one where I think, "This is it. This is enough." I've got my set of characters for my story, and even though yet more characters populate the story, the main players have been dollified.

I've actually made the decision to stop buying dolls...some time around May last year ^^;; *lol* I've decided to stop at 24. It was a very crucial time over the months following because more companies released dolls that really tempted me, or I went gaga over Migi sculpts and wanted to collect as much as I could... And I wavered a lot and decided that Soom SO Cass would definitely, absolutely be the last, at 25. And then IOS came out with Shadow and beat my head against the wall and said, "OK, he will be the last, and that's really it. I really mean it... well, his head and his body from another company, but they count as one character, so, definitely the last for sure at 26 dolls."

Originally it was going to be 24 with 12 boys and 12 girls. But then I fell in love with another doll and in order for me to keep to my resolve at having just 24, I decided to drop one of the male characters. But then things happened, and I've stopped at 26. This decision is still going strong.

At this point, I like the fact that having them keeps my mind creative in terms of writing. They give me something to focus on, something creative to work on in a way that the previous other dolls I've collected (Barbies and Tonner dolls) never did. Although I have to say that I am open to the fact that this could be an ephemeral phase and I might end up selling or trading them in the future.

To complete their images in terms of wigs and clothing.

It's actually a mixture. Most of the time, I'd fall for a sculpt, and from there figure out where they fit in within the crew and create their characters and personalities from there. There had been cases where a few would be inspired by some of my favourite characters from different media combined, and some who started out as characters from some of my original stories and who've evolved to become the characters that they now represent.

18. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      I don't really know how many dolls will complete my "collection". That's mainly because I didn't have characters set in stone, that I have to get. It's more like: First doll could work well with Doll B. Oh, and this doll could fit in well. Oh, tha new doll came out, but is limited. I think she would work out fine, etc.
      Do you think there will ever come a time when you don't want to buy dolls anymore?
      I haven't bought a new doll for two years or so, and I don't really want any new ones right now. But I think, that's more because the dolls currently out aren't grapping me that much. I think I could buy another one, if it was special and added something to my bunch.
      I hope I'll never have to sell/trade my dolls. But I don't know how many dolls I will own some day. Time, and the waiting room/box opening/discussion threads, will tell. ;)
      Working out their characters more and let them look like it.
      Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time?
      It's somewhere between that. When I see "the" doll, I usually start thinking pretty quick and have something vague thought out. But that's not confirmed, until I get the doll and see if the character works out, and I get to see it together with my other dolls. Then it's either done, although not set in stone, or I find myself "character-fine-tuning" from time to time.

19. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      My complete collection will be when all my dolls look like their characters (Faceup, clothes, wig and eyes) and when I have all my characters I desire to make into dolls :) And I hope it will be real to me someday!

Yes most likely! But I do intend to stay in the hobby for as long as I can and wish to. However if ther is a sculpt I love, then yes I will get it :p

Umm it depends, of I create new characters, I will get a new doll. :) but yes I think I will sell some of my dolls in time and replace them with better sculpts, more suited for the characters I make.

Get my 5 main characters all dolly-fied!

(Extra question) Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time
      Depends. Most have their characters when they arrive but for some E.g. Harper, they had characters in mind but ended up changing into another because of how they looked in person and how I felt their personalitys would be :) but most of the time, yes the characters are all ready set!

20. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      I guess a complete colection to me is when I get the characters that I feel should be together but I don't think that will ever happen to me. I am always seeing sculpts and getting ideas about other characters to add, though there are certainly a few definites at the moment that I want. Were I to get 'all' of the characters in my head, then I'll be here for years and years!! That and usually I tend to work on a doll by doll basis, that is, I see a doll I want and a character will be made for them ^_^

Haha, not likely! Of all of the hobbies I've indulged in, I don't think this one will ever die. If anything, I'm sure the obsession will only heighten as I graduate into adult life and hopefully get a paying job!! By nature I am a fickle soul but I know when something will last, as far as I'm concerned I've only gotten started, so many face-ups to practice, so much photography...

As many as I am happy with. There will be times where I will 'cull' the unnecessaries to make room for more, I've done it once already but some will always stay

Getting their character's look down. It's hard because the clothing just isn't really out there that I need. But I at least want them to have the right wigs/eyes and face-ups.

(Extra question) Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time:
      Depends on the doll and the character! My Claude, Cullen, his character was born when I saw him on Iplehouse and from there a whole story and set of characters bloomed in my mind! So now I have characters that stemmed from that story that I want to shell. Sometimes though, I just buy a doll because I really want them (like my Sard) and then it may take a while for me to finally learn their true name and personality.