1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

'Complete' Collections of Dolls?

Jun 10, 2010

1. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      A complete collection for me is when I assembled all the dolls I like as long as it does not exceed 10 dolls. I am working towards it but the chances are high that over the next feel years, I'll either not come close to it or already exceed it. Xp
      Do you think there will ever come a time when you don't want to buy dolls anymore? (Will you ever be satisfied or will your crave for dollies be insatiable)
      I hope so, it wll save my wallet and allow myself to concentrate on the remaining dolls. But I bet an amazing doll will be released once in a while and it will be a must buy for me.
      How many dolls do you think you will want to own in the end? Do you think you will ever sell your dolls or trade them?
      10, at most. Unless an unressistable one pop out. Possibly, if I realize I cannot bond as much with a certain doll or give it enough attention, I might sell it to a loving home where it will receive the proper attention and love she deserves.
      If you could create one realistic goal for your dolls, what would it be?
      I want them to be perfect in my way so they are something that reflects me.
      (Extra question) Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time?
      I see the doll I like and put them on my wish list before slowly fixing their personality. They will remain on my wish list even if I can't figure out a personality for him or her.

2. My wife and I have a set of role play characters we love and we've been buying dolls of them. I suppose if we got dolls for each and every one, then we'd have a complete set, but then we'd probably move on to something else. Like I'm building a 'monsters' collection and she's building an elven army or something. lol

3. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      I change my doll family a lot so I don't know if my doll family with ever be "complete"
      Do you think there will ever come a time when you don't want to buy dolls anymore? (Will you ever be satisfied or will your crave for dollies be insatiable)
      I don't think so because lots of my family members collect bjds
      How many dolls do you think you will want to own in the end? Do you think you will ever sell your dolls or trade them?
      I don't maybe 15 or so and I don think I'll have times were I sell/trade a doll

(Extra question) Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time?
      My first dolls character came 4 months after I bought him, at the time I changed his character a lot ,but most of the dolls I have/ buying/ saving for have characters already

4. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      I have a plan.... I have written a narrative frame for my dolls with a certain number (large) of characters, and once I get those dolls, I will consider my collection 'complete' (not finished, BTW)
      Once I shell all the characters I intend to, I will not really be looking to buy more dolls. I DO have a couple dream dolls (Volks, because I'd need to win the lottery thank you very much) that I'd still look to get - & if something extraordinary came along I'd think about it (think about reshelling most likely at that point).
      I've got a list of some 40 characters....
      To finish SEWING all the costumes I want for them LOL

5. I don't have a set idea for my collection. For all my dolls, I've gotten them because the appealed to me and I just so happened to have come across them at the right time. In a way, the way I "collect" is the most dangerous because it's pretty impulsive in nature. I see it, I like it, I see if I can get it. So since I have no set plan, I don't think there'll ever be a time where it'll be "complete." More likely than not it'll come down to spacial issues, or lack of money and/or interesting dolls, that would put a halt to the expansion than any feeling of "completeness".

It would be neat to have one of each Saber though. But that'll probably never happen. Lol

Extra: Characters! The times that the characters came for each of my dolls is different for each doll. My first, I already had a plan for. My second however, I didn't even really have a name for her for the first few months I had her, let alone any personality. My third sorta just came that way, though it took me the entire three months of waiting to receive her (she was a preorder) to find the perfect name. My fourth I knew instantly what I wanted as soon as I saw pictures of the doll, way before even ordering him. And this latest one (the fifth) already came with a pre-determined character, since she's a licensed character doll, so I didn't even have to do anything for her. The sixth and seventh ones, I'm still waiting for them to be shipped, but for one I've sort of planned a personality for though unsure of her appearance and the other will be another licensed character doll that will also be keeping their character.

6. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

I'm going with what has been said before: a complete collection is a collection that I am satisfied with.
      I don't think my collection necessarily needs every character in a storyline as I find that a bit of a scary startingpoint, storylines fill up fast! I do have that urge to 'complete' storylines as well but it makes me uneasy when I think about just how many dolls I would then need to buy, plus that not every character feels the same to me in terms of wether I want to have it in dollform or not. Some characters are more important to me, and some I would like to have double even (in different situations or timelines), and I want to have the room or freedom to do that.

The urge to buy will probably never end I think, I love checking websites and especially the Marketplace so I think I will always see lovely dolls that will make me want to buy them. But opposite of that urge is the sensation that my collection can feel 'too much', and when I feel like that I have a real urge to sell dolls, to sort of 'prune' my collection. So right now I think I'm not the kind of owner that is ok with an ever-growing collection (but who knows how I will feel in the future).
      Aside from that money is an issue as well. With the amount of dolls I have now I start to think about other things that I could possibly do with my money again.

Right now I think I will top out at 20. However, if I think of myself in this hobby a few years from now then I'm not sure, it just doesn't seem very realistic to think that I would stay in this hobby until I'm 80 but never buy another doll again.

I'd like to complete the dolls that I have now. However, I think that when that happens I might need a new goal. Maybe I'll try to make one myself some day.

Both. Some where there long before the dolls where part of my life, others developed with the sculpts that I saw and bought.

7. Oh, this is a dangerous subject for me being a completionist in general. For me, it actually varies a lot on the subject matter. As an example, when I was little, we used to go to all the McDonalds to collect the little Barbie toys and get them all. Another good example is when playing Pokemon--I do not care which I like, but try to catch every single one.

With Dolls, it's a lot different. That isn't to say there aren't times where I want a whole set (Though, usually if I do, it's because of a personal reason if it's not why I usually get a doll) or sometimes get a whole set as it may be cheaper than just buying the few I want. How I usually decide to get a doll is how much I want them. With BJDs, I try and focus on ones that I just absolutely adore and wouldn't really want to change (So I wouldn't have to buy them new clothes and a bunch of other new things). It's something I did for Pullips as well (which I like quite a bunch of) to help lessen how many I'd buy due to money issues.

So, to me, complete is just having all the ones I truly love. For this reason, I try to avoid customs for obvious reasons. There's definitely been some I've loved that I've missed which feels kind of awkward, so I've tried to just not pay attention to them.

Unfortunately, when there's a back log, even completing by getting just the ones you love is pretty difficult sometimes....especially if you have as bad of timing as I do. :(

Continuing to some of the other questions, I think I will always want to buy some dolls if there's ones I like. I'm always really passionate about what I like so a stopping point doesn't really exist. Essentially, I'd just have to hope they make a bunch I don't care for :P

Thus, similar reasoning with how many I'd like to own. I don't necessarily want a giant collection of anything, but if I really like something it may end up that way. So, I'd say I'd like to at least make sure I have room.

Realistic... just to get the ones in my signature one day already I guess.

But as for the final question: "Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time?"

This has happened to me and it absolutely sucks when it does. Usually if this happens, it happens to me the moment I see the doll which is part of why I stopped looking at customs as there has been a few where I have and if I miss out or lost an auction, it really sucks. I mean, sometimes it's nice--because you can tell how much you like the doll, but when it's one shot and you completely blow it...not so much.

8. I think I will always want to buy dolls, but I hope to have that complete family some day. I think it depends on your personal lifestyle and how many dolls you actually like. I have seven and there's maybe eight more that I like and that's it. And I don't feel that I need to own every doll that I like. So I think I will definitely come to a buying end at some point. I personally love to see other peoples complete collections.

9. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      For me , my collectio will be complete when my dolls will all have the perfect wardrobe , wig eyes ,shoes , faceup , props and accesories to define the character they are portraying.

Yes , I do think there will come a time when I will stop buying dolls . Even though this is the longest lasting interest/ hobby I`ve ever had ( I get bored really quick ) , I`m not expecting it to be forever , because I`m young , and real life hasn`t really begun for me . So at one point , I do think I will be satisfied with the dolls I have , still taking photos of them and buying them things from time to time .
      Well right now I have 9 . I think when I`ll have 20 or 25 at the most , I will NEED to stop , because I don`t whant them to lose their "individuality" if that makes any sense . I whant to still e abel to play with every doll and be attached to each of them . There have been about 5 dolls I haven`t bonded with at all wich I have sold/traded . I whant to absolutely love all my dolls , but sadly , sometimes it happens that I don`t bond with one of them , so I need to let that bjd move on . But I don`t think I will ever be abel to sell/trade the dolls that I am bonded with , especialy my SDs and DZ Mo .

If I should be realistic , I`d say my goals were to finish all my existing dolls , get at least 4 of the 6 Crobidoll boys I whant from my wishlist , 3 other female SDs ( including a volks f 01 ) ,one female MSD for a character of mine and 1 Yo-Sd(probably a lil' chiwoo or ante ) . So I guess I would get at least 9-10 more dolls and finish the ones I have , and also , buy some more doll furniture and finish their rooms . Honestly , if I`ll be in the hobby for the next 4-5 years , I know I can have these goals acomplished if I work hard twords them .

A little of both . I have some pretty old characters that I bought and am buying dolls for and some dolls that I`ve just fallen in love with that have characters that have developed in time .

10. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

My doll plans consist of clearly defined 'sets' that go together; for example, I want an 'elements set' (based on, obviously, the elements), a 'fantasy set', etc.. Luckily, all of my planned sets have a set amount of dolls planned for each, so there's a clear 'end-goal' if you will.

While I do have various potential 'sets' I'd like to own, I'm only realistically concentrating on completing the two 'sets' I've already started (one of which currently only consists of two planned dolls)--and perhaps I could easily be satisfied with what I have once I've 'completed' them and I'll consider that my complete collection. For the other of the two doll sets I've started, I plan on five and currently have only one, so the thought of finally collecting and completing each one sounds like a dream. That would certainly feel every bit like a 'complete collection' to me!

Of course, actually owning the dolls themselves is the biggest hurdle, but I guess in order to be truly 'complete', I'd also want each of them to be decked out in their intended wigs, eyes, faceups, and have at least one complete outfit that's suited to them ^^' .

I definitely think so. I see so many other DoA posters and doll owners who seem to have so many dolls or collect dolls so quickly, and I'm not really like that. I got my first doll almost three years ago, and only a few months ago did I get my second and third (both being gifts as well) . I spoil my first doll and enjoy her immensely, and it's already hard trying to spread my attention to three dolls now. I don't like the thought of a crowded collection or a bunch of half-finished dolls waiting for their perfect eyes, wigs, faceups, and clothes.

I am very picky about the dolls I want, I find it quite hard to part with so much money to get a doll, and when I do have a doll I feel that I want to enjoy it as much as I can. Every individual doll requires investment--in good wigs, the right eyes, a healthy selection of shoes and clothes, and my time spent doing and redoing their faceups. That means that even when I eventually stop planning on buying dolls and consider my collection 'complete', there will always be plenty of things I can do with the dolls I already own.

Let's see here... it's hard for me to calculate because on the one hand I know I'm suited to a smaller collection, but on the other hand I have so many ideas that I like...

There's the 'Dollie Collection' that I'm aiming for now, a set of five dolls with doll-themed names. The 'Mythic Set' of three. The 'Elements Set' of six. The 'Lolita Pair'. And the gift doll from my friend.

All-in-all a whopping 17. To me, that's quite a lot. And, there was always a whimsy of mine to try my own hand at making dolls one day, haha. But these are long-term plans and dreams, and in reality I'm only aiming to collect the Dollie Set and Lolita Pair right now (8 including the gift doll) .

I don't think I will ever trade or sell my dolls. I spend so much time agonizing and thinking about what dolls to get before getting them, and I'm so sentimental about dolls and toys and things, that it's just not plausible.

Hm, I suppose right now my 'realistic goal' is to gain '100% completion' for my Dollie Set, Lolita Pair, and gift girl? I juggle my priorities for my dolls, but they all currently relate to one of the above objectives. I want to buy the dolls I don't already have, buy the right eyes and wigs for each of them, eventually give them faceups I like, and get them all at least one full outfit and a few nice extra clothes and shoes.

Well, it would be great to have them all and completed to a point where I could take a 'picture perfect' photograph that exemplifies them as the doll that I envisioned when I first planned to get them!

It depends on the doll, or more often the doll 'set'. My first doll, part of my 'Dollie Set', originally had a concept, but it didn't work out for her, so I eventually much later tore the idea down and started attempting to build a new concept. I'm still building up the idea for her and the rest of her future 'doll companions' as we speak. Others like my Cece had a core concept I started with before I got her, and then I fleshed it out more after she arrived. And for the 'sets' in my doll plans that I've yet to even start, I've already outlined in detail how each doll and character should be! I prefer to have things figured out neatly before making big investments, but sometimes I have to adapt when ideas don't work out ^^' .

<3 ali

11. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

i will have completed my collection when i have all the characters :)

yes, i know it will come...

i don't think i'll ever sell them, most likely they'll be inherited by my daughter when iam no longer able to care for them, she loves my characters iam sure she will take good care of them, and i don't want to have too many either

I
      f you could create one realistic goal for your dolls, what would it be?
      no idea O_o

they are characters i created long ago :)

12. my only complete collection is Williams, Reisner and Cecile.... I got all but one - still missing the original NS Scarface Cecile.

But not actively looking for him since I have two one off Cecile LOL LOL

13. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      My collection will likely never be complete. My dolls are characters from my novels, and I already have no idea where I'll stop; will I just get the main characers, will I get some of the more interesting minor characters, and if I get them, will I get their families as well, and so on X) And once I have the characters of this story I'll probably move on to the next one, so... yeah, I'll never be done.

I don't know. Like I said, probably not because I will run out of characters, IF the time ever comes when I won't want to buy dolls anymore it'd be because I don't feel dolls appeal to me anymore... which would be sad, and I'm hoping it won't happen.

My list right now consists of twenty-four, I believe. There'll probably be more, they are addictive ;) As far as selling or trading, that might very well happen if I buy a doll that it turns out doesn't fit for the character..

Wow. Uhm... well, I can't say a number, but I have a goal that I hope is realistic; never having so many dolls that I can't equip them all (clothes, accessories and so on), or have room for them in my apartment/house/wherever-I-live.

My dolls are all bought to fit into a character that I have already created long ago :)

14. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      For me, personally, it will be when I hit the number limits I've set for myself with the help of my role play life partner and my husband.Since it is number based and not character based, yes, I think it will certainly hit. Most likely in the next couple of years, though after hitting that number, I can buy more if I sell one. I only intend to replace characters as kids "grow up". So reshelling, not buying new characters.

I'm hoping once my slots are full, the urge will stop. HOPING.

39. 26 from the "first generation" of dolls, 13 of their children. I will most likely sell/trade the kids as they grow up.The adults should be here to stay unless I kill off/write out a character or find a better sculpt to reshell them.

I already have, and that is to complete my collection (aside from reshells) by next summer.

Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time?
      Most of them at least have basic characters before they come home, though a few (mostly towards the beginning) have been purchased because I liked them and have become their own. A couple were surprise gifts that had to be written into role play.

15. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      A complete collection would be a set of completely finished dolls that occupy all the space I'm willing to give them. There would be no plans to buy or sell any dolls. It's possible, but highly unlikely that I'll ever have this. Dolls yellow, and I'd rather sell most yellowed dolls to somehow who either likes yellowing or wants to do mod practice than keep them.

No. I think (hope) I'll want fewer new dolls as I explore other hobbies, but there will always be a desire to get that new doll feeling. I would like to have the "complete" collection, and then every time I buy one, I sell one (or at least try, since it's so hard to sell them) at the same time.

How many dolls do you think you will want to own in the end? Do you think you will ever sell your dolls or trade them? If you could create one realistic goal for your dolls, what would it be?
      I'd love to sell off some of my SDs and replace them with tinies because I have too many SDs and too few tinies. I'd also like to sell the dolls that either don't fit in, or that I simply don't like as well as my others. My end goal (unless I win the lottery and can afford more) is:
      8 SD size (now I have 11 plus a head)
      6 MSD size (now I have 7)
      6 YoSD size (I only have 3 now)

Also, I'd like to have everyone wearing outfit/shoes/wig/eyes that suit them perfectly, and sell (or give away since it's hard to sell stuff that's already available at a cheap price new) all the excess stuff I've accumulated. Everyone should also have a stand, except the four SDs that sit on their couch.

N/A. Mine don't have characters or personalities.

16. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      Have no idea. Every time I say "I'm over" ther apears another temptation.

I think it will not be endless.

I have more than I intended. I used to say I didn't want to sale. I'm starting to rethink that.

Definitively in time. I'm always descovering more and changing more about them.

17. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      To me you can have more than one complete collection. One could be a particular family, one could be all of your characters, one could be all of the characters in a particular story and the collections can all cross over. Right now I have one collection I'm working on and it's a bunch of characters from a story I'm working on, so it could be a possibility to complete it... eventually.

At the moment I'm saying to myself no more than 20 but realistically I know I'm the kind of person who likes to have a lot of something if she really enjoys it (anime, plushies etc)

No more than 20 (or so I say but you never know). I won't sell or trade dolls, aside from high monetary value they have really high sentimental value to me so I just couldn't do it, I'd feel all quilty about it.

Have all of the characters in my story plus maybe a few side characters.

So far I have the basis for most of them since they're from a story, it's the appearance that can fluctuate.

18. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      Well, I guess I'm pretty unusual in that I have no "families" or "characters" in my collecting interest--I bring home whatever dolls attract me--so it's very open-ended. There's really no point of completion because there's not a specific set I'm focusing on. Perhaps if they stop making new tinys, that would be the case, but I don't see that being something that will ever happen. So no, having a "complete" collection is not a real concept to me, which is just fine.

Nope. Perhaps if I lose interest in the hobby, but it's been going strong for seven years now, so I expect it to be around for a while. My main collecting focus (Tinker Bell) is one I've worked on for 40+ years, so it's not like I don't stick with things.

More than one, less than a million. I don't have an upper limit...I am already in three-digits with my collection, but the majority are tinys, so they don't take up much space. Sell my dolls? Doubtful...I haven't sold one yet, though I have sold sleeping faceplates/floating heads, extra hands, and a body I upgraded. I'm an "IN" door household.

I had two...one was that they work and become something that pays for itself, which is a goal that's been realized. My collecting is now funded by my sales, and my wee ones work as models. The other was that they help me educate people about tinys, which they do both through programs/discussions and just by being at the booth, so that goal has been achieved as well.

My dolls aren't characters from a story or anything in my head. They do have personalities, which usually come out when I'm doing the grand wig/eye search. I have dolls that demand to wear colors that I really don't care for, much to my horror. Some of them have much stronger personalities than the others (Fee, Amy, Llama, Moira, Katie), and I notice that other people react to that...they get handled/noticed so much more than the others at the booth. At any given show, I may have forty Yo sized dolls modeling, but Llama and Katie *always* get asked about and noticed. So, sometimes the doll has it's own character when it arrives.

19. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      In my case, they are a set of characters from the comic I am making. All I have to do is determine the limit of the number of characters to be shelled :P. So far, they are all part of the same family, but my main character has two shells, so, um, multiple dolls for one character, that complicates matters...

Honestly? I'm really not sure. Last year I was at a point where I thought I wouldn't be able to cope with more than three SDs. In the meantime I *have* three SDs, find them perfectly 'copeable' and have two more in the works :p.

I have only been in this hobby for little more than a year; it's difficult to guess if, say, I'll end up re-shelling or not. What I do know is that I can't possibly envisage having a really large collection. It has to stay manageable.

At this point, I plan to end up with 10 dolls. That's ... a lot more than I expected to get when I entered this hobby.

As for selling or trading, that's hard to say because it's early days yet. At this moment, at any rate, I can't imagine ever doing either. I don't buy the prettiest, or the most artistic, or the most, I dunno, sophisticated dolls I can find; I buy dolls that suit my characters. That makes them feel very personal. Selling or trading would feel like selling or trading the character, so it seems strange. Maybe if they somehow got re-shelled?

I try to be realistic by not getting dolls just because I think they're lovely. I do my best to stick to my characters, though I have to admit that sometimes it's hard... I'd like to have Gawain, his (successive) wives and their children. I'm not sure I'll actually be capable of stopping there, because in the meantime I've discovered how much I love these dolls as dolls, but that's the idea in any case. I'd like to end up with Gawain's family and be able to take a nice family photograph :D.

The characters came first. This automatically rules out loads of dolls based on size, youth, expression, colour etc. Which is kind of practical in a world full of gorgeous dolls.

20. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?

I don't have any characters that I work on, there are no family plans in my head. I buy dolls that I love and when they arrive they somehow fit into my group as another cousin/friend/etc or they create new groups. Nothing to complete at all.

I can't imagine this right now.

I'm sure I will end up with a lot of dolls over the years. It's a matter of space I think. But there won't be hundreds of them, I don't want more dolls than I can take care of. I don't want shelves full of dolls I barely ever look at. I can't imagine to sell any of my dolls right now but I have just started the hobby. I'm sure I'll get to the point where I have to sell a doll to get another I love more.

Don't get more dolls than I can take care of.

Their personalities come in time. I always get the doll first and when they arrive they tell me who they are.