1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

'Complete' Collections of Dolls?

Jun 10, 2010

1. I don't shell characters, and I just sort of buy what piques my interest. I have had one little family evolve over the couple of years I've been in the doll hobby, so when I have all the members of that little family they might feel complete, but on the whole the collection will never be. My realistic goal is just to think long and hard about who I actually want, and not be swayed by anyone's opinions but my own. My dolls have characters now, but it's different than a role-play or story character. They have names and little quirks, but these always appear after they've arrived and been with me for awhile. The only set I had planned out what Hugin and Munin, and even they switched who was who after I had them both for awhile...

2. Here are the questions!

In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you? My collection is complete. there may be a doll here and there I want but I am sticking with the # I have. I will have to sell one to get one..

Do you think there will ever come a time when you don't want to buy dolls anymore? (Will you ever be satisfied or will your crave for dollies be insatiable) I fought hard with myself over a few dolls I wanted badly, held out and then got over it. It was hard but I won that battle with myself!! :) lol

How many dolls do you think you will want to own in the end? Do you think you will ever sell your dolls or trade them? I would like to have less but right now the ones I fell for are in my heart so they stay!! :)

If you could create one realistic goal for your dolls, what would it be? Find a way for them to make money for themselves to buy themselves more Dollie must haves :) !!

(Extra question) Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time? I have only customized 3 of them and the rest were already custom or new in the default since.. Character comes only with owning them and it just comes to be the way they are perceived as I work with them :) !!

3. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      For me a complete collection would mean all the dolls I own are finished. Every head has a body and at least one outfit, every doll has eyes, a wig etc... as of yet this has ceased to be an achievable goal XD I hope to "complete" my doll family one day but there is just so much to buy for them (and I have a lot of heads)!

Do you think there will ever come a time when you don't want to buy dolls anymore? (Will you ever be satisfied or will your crave for dollies be insatiable)

Honestly, I have a feeling I will always be buying and selling dolls. There will always be new sculpts coming out that I end up liking better than than my own and I've gotten used to the come and go of different sculpts. It's how I find the perfect ones! So yes, I will probably be always buying and changing my collection. On the other hand, I also think there will be a day when I decide to leave the hobby and sell them all...but that won't be for many years!

How many dolls do you think you will want to own in the end? Do you think you will ever sell your dolls or trade them?

I sort of answered this question in the previous one...I definitely do not want to be one of those people who have 50+ dolls. It's a grand idea but honestly, I question how much money I spend on my dolls already and I have nowhere near that amount. I doubt I will ever even make it to ten, but we'll see. Now, some people say that they will pass their dolls on to their children or give them to friends etc, but accounting for both the price of the dolls and the fact that they don't last forever (yellowing) I do think I will end up selling all my dolls when I leave the hobby as opposed to passing them on/keeping them forever even when I don't care about them as much. When I no longer have interest in the hobby I will no longer have any dolls (well maybe just one!).

If you could create one realistic goal for your dolls, what would it be?

Complete them! Which is rather the point of this whole thread...I would love to have a complete family of dolls. If I miss customizing them once they are finished maybe I'll sell one complete with all his or her outfits and customizations and buy a new one and start over. I would really love to finish my family though.

(Extra question) Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time?

Both! My dolls are always original characters but sometimes the doll is based off the character and sometimes I get a new character from the doll C:

4. In your opinion, What is a 'complete' collection (a family, a set of characters you've created) and will that complete collection ever be real to you?
      No!!! I dread the idea of anything being complete! It has a sad finality to it that implies creation is over. I have learned that I don't enjoy completeness. If I want to enjoy the dolls they must remain incomplete. However sometimes they get completed. Later on they may reinvent themselves or may seek new vistas.

Do you think there will ever come a time when you don't want to buy dolls anymore? (Will you ever be satisfied or will your crave for dollies be insatiable)
      I go through phases where I want something and where I don't. If the dollies want to come to me, they do. It's weird, but it happens! Sometimes I don't even know I want them before they're there. Some of my best dolls have happened that way.

How many dolls do you think you will want to own in the end? Do you think you will ever sell your dolls or trade them?
      Some dollies stay longer than others, It's up to them. I sell them when they're ready to move on. Sometimes I keep them longer than they want to stay, but they always go eventually if they want to. I don't really have any feelings about it one way or the other. Do I wish I had every doll I ever had? Not really, but sometimes I do think of old dollies fondly and of how awesome they were, etc...

If you could create one realistic goal for your dolls, what would it be?
      Realistic goal... hmm... getting them properly coiffed, eye'd and dressed is about as much as I can hope for, and always a challenge! Especially the clothes! Always the hardest part for me.

(Extra question) Are your dolls characters you made before you bought them or do their personalities come in time?
      Sometimes the former, sometimes the latter. I tend to enjoy the latter more.

Raven