1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Copy Cats! - does it bother you if someone tries to copy your doll's style/looks?

Jan 19, 2006

1. I would rather they ask permission before copying my doll's look, but not just see it and steal the idea outright. It's a work of art. You don't just repaint the Mona Lisa, do you?

2. Well, I don't think I'd care that much, especially in the case of my Isar, since she has the default face up and the fullset outfit.

However, I'm planning to have a very specific outfit custom made for my MNF Karsh and if someone came along and just copied something I worked hard to make up and the seamstress worked hard to turn into reality... I'd be pretty miffed, but it wouldn't be worth my trouble to give them a hard time about it.

3. I think for me it would depend on the extent of the copying. Like, there are only so many sculpts and clothes out there, so styles can be limited. Names don't have copyrights. Personalities are often based off of someone else anyway. But if it was all the same combined, then I might be upset. Like someone else's doll has the same sculpt, name, personal style, and personality...then I dunno, that seems more than coincidence, and I'd be kinda upset. But I think it's okay to gain inspiration from people. I know that for my Minifee Chloe, I want her to have dark hair and green eyes, and that was inspired by someone else's minifee chloe. Other than that, the similarity ends, but I just thought the combo looked really nice on that sculpt, and fit the name I was thinking of. Does that make me a copy cat? I don't think so.

4. It would depend how unique I had made my doll. If I'd gone to a huge amount of effort to make a very different and original doll, well let's be honest, it would be a lot of work. So to have someone make a clear copy would be beyond infuriating.

I don't think I would try that hard to make a really unique doll, though. My first doll is arriving this Christmas, she'll have the company face up and the limited clothing set that goes with her so she won't exactly be bursting with originality right out of the box so copying probably just wont be an issue.

5. I think I will be honoured And irritated ^^
      Honoured because if someone copy the style of my dolls , maybe it's because my doll is really beautiful ;-)
      and irritated because when it's hard to find " the perfect style , perfect wig , outfit ..." , a lot of time for customise the doll .. I don't like to see a copy of my style ... But when we sharing some pics on the web it's the risk

6. *quirks eyebrow* What are the chances I would notice/find out?
      I think it's hard to copy a doll perfectly.
      If I did an original concept and made clothes myself and all that and someone would copy each and every aspekt of that doll, then I'd probably feel kind of irritated, but also amused and honored.
      If someone merely took (obvious) inspiration then I'd feel happy that my work motivated someone else to go through all that as well.

7. actually in my family and on the net til now
      my doll is really original and yes there are some
      that my have a bit same ideas but still
      no issues there

but then i started getting my friend
      into dolls ~ and i was really happy she
      really is excited on gettin a doll its just

the things she wants or is trying to say
      that she basicly wants a twin of mine
      same hair color and ideas ...

um i dont like that ?
      yes i like if they'd wear pairing outfits
      be friends but i do want my original dolls
      to be special ~ >.<"" is that bad ?

how do i tell her in a good way that
      i'd like her to do something else ?

Private message me T.T"
      if you have any good ideas ~

:aheartbea

8. I am actually very sensitive about this topic, not because I have such a big problem about this issue. But I used to know a few people who are really affected by this copying thing. No matter what you do, people will ALWAYS copy something they have access to. I have been copied before but I don't think much of it because I realize I should be enjoying this hobby more than worry if anyone was going to copy the make-up, the style, the clothing, the wigs, etc. I just felt it was becoming stressful and I realize it is a bad, bad thing to focus on.

I'm not saying that no one can and should not feel upset about this but ... there is such a thing as limiting yourself on this too. Why let yourself feel this way constantly? @_@

Also, I still don't understand this "originality" thing especially when someone takes ideas from several other doll owners, puts them together and calls it completely original. I think that taking inspiration from others even if they are bits and pieces of things is not original. To me, it is just a mash up of ideas taken from others and put together how you want it. @_@

Also, I noticed there is this thing about copying from Person A who is not known internationally, then Person B calls it their own. Then Person B gets upset when someone copies their doll like they were the first to do this 'character'/'style' even. =_= I don't know. This whole copying issue is just really crazy to me. ):

I suppose everyone has their own idea what originality is and I am the type to take this word very literally so I am sure many people in this thread would not agree with me. I mostly kept quiet whenever I listened to really upset talks about this copying issue from those people I used to know and it makes me feel so sad that the person is so affected by it that it ruins even a part and sometimes even the entirety of that person's day.

Focus less on this and you will be much happier I tell you. :\

9. There are so many beautiful dolls and people do amazing things with them. If someone wanted to "copy" one of my doll's looks, I'd be all for it because to me it means that the person loves my doll that much and loves what I have done with it. Since the majority of my dolls come with their default face-ups, this isn't very hard to do.

What would bug me, though, is if someone else tried to recreate the same character as one of my dolls. I don't mind you copying the look, but don't take my OC, personality, etc...those I feel are mine and mine alone because I put a ton of effort into composing elaborate backstories and personalities for my dolls. Those come from my heart and my brain. So that I would be extremely offended by. But the actual look, I don't care so much about and would be quite flattered.

10. It doesn't really bother me at all. If I found a look a-like I would probably laugh as my doll just found his or her long lost twin. I don't really try to be unique or original though. Nothing is truly original anymore. As long as I'm happy with the way my dolls look, I'm okay. It doesn't matter what other people do or think. c:

11. I am new to BJD and don't have my first doll yet only the head. I have a wish list of dolls and have had some ideas of costumes I would like to create for them. I have seen dolls here however that pretty much have the outfits I had envisioned, will I copy them no way I don't think it is flattery to copy someone elses work. I shall have to be inspired by them only and try to come up with my own unique costmes, however I do also believe this will be difficult as there are so many images posted on the web everyone has access to and to be honest I am not that creative.

12. Most of the time I'm sure it's totally accidental and in that case it's not a problem, I'd just avoid posting my too close to theirs xD However if someone accused me of copying I must admit I'd be offended since I just wouldn't do that, I wouldn't get all rude about it but it is one of the few ways to actually offend me.

But if someone were to intentionally take the same wig and put it on the same sculpt with the same clothes and maybe even copy the personality and name then it would bother me. But it'd have to be super obvious and doubtless that they had indeed done it on purpose. It would just be like plagiarism to me in this case.

13. Nobody will be copying my doll cox most of their stuff is handmade by me. Its good cox i will try to make their stuff as simple as possible >.<