1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Copy Cats! - does it bother you if someone tries to copy your doll's style/looks?

Jan 19, 2006

1. I think that there are other Liams on the board...I was surprised by the doll named Calypso though! I thought that I came up with the name when I named my Pug puppy Calypso...but it was also on a dog name site, and is the name of a doll x_x All I think when I see it though is "that doll's owner has mighty fine tastes in names".

2. I wouldn't mind at all. And first of all I wouldn't be so sure that someone copied me, I'm not the center of the universe, as incredible as it may seem to me sometimes, and I'm sure there are many many times more BJD owners that haven't seen my pics than owners who have. There are coincidences, similar tastes, etc that can account for it. And if it turned out that someone intentionally did it, I'd be flattered rather than angry.
      Names are another matter, I don't like seeing other dolls with the same names as mine, but I don't think anyone ever did it intentionally, and I don't have exclusive rights to the names I choose.

3. I think this whole copying thing is kind of amusing, if you saw a doll with same wig dressed like yours and same name... who says you were the first one to do it with your doll? maybe the other was first and they're thinking exactly the same thing, omg this person is stalking me and stealing my dolls look!. Stuff like that does happen, I think someone else said that in a hobby where wig colours and styles are limited that duplicates are bound to happen.

Thing is that many people are into the hobby because they are also into anime, of j-rock or other influences. They share a common interest and it's more than likely they would enjoy the same fashions and look for their dolls too. There's only so many variations on a theme, and doll owners should not feel they have to choose wigs they dislike or do not suit the look of their doll out of fear of being accused of copying. To me it's a bit like a goth kiddy throwing a screaming fit because someone else is wearing black at the maall too!

4. I try to make my EL unique and haven't run across any others (so far) that look like him. n_n I think it would be weird to have someone copy another doll's style. Kind of defeats the purpose of having one in the first place, doesn't it?

5. There's a difference between copying an exact outfit, and "copying" (or coming up with by coincidence, or even possibly just being inspired by) a basic style or parts of a style. Anything Gothy is pretty much not unique these days anyway, for example.

Should I whine at Wee Little Fairy because she put a headband on an Isao doll (the former Kaen) with a reddish knock-off Isao wig in the same way as I did with the exact same wig and MY Isao? (different fabric for headband, though, and I took the black braids out of that wig because I don't like 'em.) No. Nor should she whine at me - I did it independently, as did she; we didn't know about each other's behavior when we did it. Sometimes "great minds just do think alike."

6. I agree totally- I thik several people have said similar things in different ways...

But what if you found out that someone had actually copied you, intntionally, in every way they could with their doll?

I'm a great beleiver in inocent until proven guilty (like I said earlier, Ihave an El with a long white wig- so it's not like he's unique anyway), but what is someone *was* guilty?

For me, that would bother me. A lot.

7. Well on the subject on names, if some one else picked any of my dolls names that wouldn't bother me. My name is so common i blank out people calling it other wise i would be paronid where ever i go (annoys the parent though ><)
      But i would be very unhappy if someone ripped of my aliens. if they approched me first maybe something could be agreed on but to be truthfull they are specail to me and meeh no touchy :D

8. As Karisu said, there are a lot of names that feature 'Haru' as an element (Haruki, Haruyuki, Haruko pop straight to mind as some of the more common ones I've heard) So I don't think it's unreasonable to call Nameless a name you like and that you think fits him, and to shorten it to a common, manageable nickname even if he isn't the only one here to be known by that (though if you are worried, why not use the other part of his name and call him Matsu for short?)

9. YES! It bothers me so so much! Especially since my dolls are all based off original characters of mine.

10. My doll's name is a common Asian name, so there's bound to be lots of dolls with the same name around. It doesn't/won't bother me, and hopefully it won't bother their guardians - I'm only guilty of lack of originality ;p

Liz

11. It wouldn't really bother me..people can have the same idea's, as long as it's just inspired, I'd be flattered^___^ of course, it would be creepy to find an exact copy of Vasiley or Sumiya..but even then, if it makes the owner happy, I'm ok with it. It might just be that they kind of had the same idea as I did, and used my doll as an example...I don't mind.

I'm afraid people will call me a copycat after I did Sumiya's face-up, though ^^ I've had the sketches and idea for his face-up since I started saving for him, but there was this head on ebay and Y!J a while ago, a Cecile head, to make it worse, and it was done exactly the way I wanted to do Sumiya O.O even his eyes were the same..okay, he wasn't a Scarface, and I'd use a different colour/style wig, different eyebrows..but it comes very, very close..+_+ I'm still going to do it, though. Let's just say that look suits Cecile XD

12. I've only encountered one other doll called Ayame on the board, and I must admit it does feel rather weird when I see her name crop up on a Gallery post that's not mine. Especially as the first time it happened, she was wearing an identical bright red wig to one that my Ayame often wears, and a very similar outfit. However, unlike my Ayame this other doll is not an Obitsu 60, and the whole style of her faceup is different because of that.

Still gives me a funny feeling when she appears, but she doesn't turn up that often.

Pretty much all my dolls are unique, with very individual looks and personality. I think it would be pretty damned obvious if someone were to produce a copy of any of them; and I must admit I'd be pretty irked if they did. I put a lot of work and effort into my dolls; why should someone else piggyback on my creative work? I don't see imitation as flattery; I see it as the sign of an unoriginal and narrow mind.

But then again, I'm one of those people who utterly fails to see the point in fanfic either.

13. I don't think I'd be bothered by it, but I'd definitely be flattered! :daisy Even if someone decided they wanted exactly the same faceup and clothes and wig and eyes as one of my dolls, the end result would never be a perfect copy. Their photographs would inevitably be different, the face would have some slight differences, and so on. Of course, it would get a little odd if it went on for a long time, but I think that most people would eventually come to put more of themselves into their doll, and the styles would diverge. I don't honestly expect it to ever happen, anyway.

If it came to names, that would niggle at me, especially since the names I've chosen are fairly unique. It would feel like a boundary of good taste had been crossed - but again, I think it's very unlikely to happen (and if it did, it would probably be coincidence).

14. If it was something really original, and in design, not name, I would most likely be bothered. I'm planning to put some scars as well as something else on my dear boy, and as I can see the scars being copied without me having any problems with it, the more wacky modifications should be left alone. Or asked the original maker if it is ok.

15. I've seen umpteen dolls called Gabriel ~ I'm used to it now, and all of my dolls have full names, which sets them apart.
      What makes me itchy is Este. His look is pretty unique - when I see another doll like him, I can't help but wonder. Actually, I work so hard on my characters and moding my dolls that any major similarities make me wonder. Which is egotistical, but I can't help it when there's a lot of similarities.

16. I don\t think I really mind..but I wanna do my face-ups..and I'm not that good yet..so it won't look as great as some off my favorites face ups.
      I must say I fell in love with the sleepy Unoa face thanks to an auction on yahoojp and Treelore's sleepy unoa..just finished the cake..^_^

I'm not sure about clothes..I like cute clothes..that's one thing..and I've noticed I have the same taste as most Unoa fans..cause every unoa auction I wanna bid on has prices that go sky-rocket..which can be really tierdsome..=_+..

lIke I ordered Mio clothes a month ago orso..and I think me and alot of other unoa fans did..so we probally all have are unoa's wear the same pants hehehehe..and I really don't mind..cause eventually every gal or boy ends up looking different!!

17. I don't think it would be too likely to happen intentionally. I suppose if someone did so intentionally, I would be irritated but there really isn't anything anyone can do about it anyway. It's more likely that someone would unintentionally do something similar with their dolls, because sometimes people get the same ideas, or are inspired by the same things. That doesn't bother me at all.

18. It would disturb me since his mold is currently a rather unique one. On the other hand, for the same reason, I know it won't happen. Besides, I make his wigs and his clothes... planning to re-do his faceup after my exams (so far away...).

As for the name... I'm sure there's at least one user with 'camui' in her name. But hey, Gackt has many fans... pity that my boy likes his name... coz personally, I'm not a fan...(OT-ing...)

leXis

19. My doll is very directly inspired by Sephiroth from FF7... so, I can't complain too much about there being other Sephiroth dolls out there. However, it did bother me a little when I had special eyes custom made specifically for me and everyone was suddenly really interested in how/where I got them. In a couple of months, I'm half-expecting everyone to have eyes very similar to mine. >_<

20. I feel like I have a common Ani, no matter how much I absolutely adore her, but to others, I believe she is unique. Obviously, to me it wouldn't matter much if there were 1,000 people with the same exactly doll, with the same wigs...I would love her just the same.

If someone deliberately got the same face-up, wigs, and outfits, or gave her the same name, yes, I think I would be a little annoyed.

However, I think other people have more to fear than I! ;)