1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Copy Cats! - does it bother you if someone tries to copy your doll's style/looks?

Jan 19, 2006

1. i know there are a few people out there who have my doll and a near exact face-up, because its default. but it doesn't bother me. she is fairly limited anyway, and not a popular doll at all. to me, she is one of a kind.

i don't think anyone would intentionally copy her, as she isn't really thrilling or amazing to anyone but myself.

2. Even though they say that copying someone is one of the highest forms of flattery, it's one of those things that really, really bothers me.

I have a Woori, and Wooris aren't terribly popular. The ones I've come across are all unique, so I honestly haven't had this problem. If it were to happen to me, however, I'd be furious. Only, of course, if every single aspect of my Nem was copied. I can understand completely that not everyone can make totally unique dolls.

3. the only thing that pisses me off is if a have a character/name in mind and then i find that somebody already did something like that or too close to it ... because then i feel like *I* can't do it for fear of ripping somebody'd concept off, even if i know it isn't the case. but in the end you just have to go wth what you like and what you feel is right and not worry too much about stuff like that.

Before i got Evelyn though i had a concept for her to have a lilac wig and eyes and i did find that another DOA member had that combination for their Cyndy doll ... so i PMed her about it asking if she would be ok if i did it and that i wasn't trying to copy her directly, i just liked the idea. she was very nice (and mentioned her doll didn't have that color combination now anyway - plus we would be using different eyes and wig styles even if the had similar colors) and i'm glad we talked about it.

4. I suppose the extent of the copying would be what matters for me. I once saw a Hound (and there are lots of them) in an outfit very similar to what Xiyang Jin wears a lot of the time, with the same style wig but a different color, and very similar eyes to a pair that he wears frequently. I thought to myself, "Xiyang Jin's long lost brother!" but that's about it. ^^ Because I don't make my own clothes or wigs or anything else like that. Even, as was said earlier, names aren't as uncommon as we like to think they are. I've seen a doll named Eryx, which is Rylen's middle name. But while 'Eryx' as a name seems a little unusual, that was the name of a son of Aphrodite and a mortal in Greek mythology, and also where I got the name from.

There is only so much we can do if we're not customizers or have the money to purchase the services of one to make our dolls individuals, as far as their looks go. I think copying would have to be really blatant to be something truly worth getting upset over.

5. It really depends on the extent of copying. Take Haze, as an example. His headmold is a pretty common one and he bears more than a passing resemblance to some other F-28s I've seen, including Cassiel's Mikael, which isn't intentional at all, I guess we just have similar tastes. However, if I saw a F-28 with the same wig, eyes and face-up, I'd be slightly upset, especially about the face-up, since it's a custom FCS one.

Same with 'Dina. There are tons of Els around, and even quite a lot of gothy cross-dressing ones. No problem there. But one with the exact same type of face-up and the same custom purple-on-black eye would bother me a bit.

Though seriously, I'd be far more bothered if someone copied their stories, because while the same looks can be a coincidence, the exact same story cannot be one.

6. Like a lot of other people are saying, it depends...some of my dolls aren't that unusual, so if I saw a Choa with pink lips and smoky eyeliner I wouldn't think for a second that somebody was copying Sabrina, cuz, well, she's NOT that unusual. If somebody else got an IZ girl on a lishe body and tried to copy Rachel's faceup, yes, that would bother me. Or if I saw a Choa with a mouth modded shut with a paint job similar to Jenna's, yes, that would bother me too (and I bet both of those scenarios would bother the artists who did them, too).

I got a message in a thread after I posted a pic of Libertine in a pink jpop curly wig saying is it okay if I get that wig for my Lishe and that surprised me too; I wouldn't have thought for ONE second that person was copying me had I seen her Lishe. It's a commercially available wig, it's a GREAT wig, it's not like it's a wig I handmade myself or something.

If I see another Blue Fairy Jerome Girl named Jeremiah Blue, though, I'm going to go medieval on somebody's fanny, I tell you whut.

7. Honestly I think I will be quite annoyed >.>"
      Lets see, I do not mind if they got the same wig and eyes, that can't be helped. Though I do believe that the current eye colour chosen is also not common.

But if people copy stuff like the tattoo, scar and face up style, I will be really really annoyed. I don't care about the imitation is a form of flattery, it becomes a theft of concept at the end of the day.

I think I would not like it if someone gives their dolls the same name too. Especially I have chosen such a negative word for name to begin with.(for Fraud/Meth that is)
      Well.. the next doll I wish to get will be named after a person I admire, so if someone has the same name as he do it'll be fine. Who knows, might find a friend who is as crazy as I am over that cellist/composer.

8. Naw, I find it flattering!

So much so that I am actually re-doing a friends Sharmin right now, to be my own Sharmin's twin, as my friend likes my doll's look that much.

Like Sher, I think I am a little more protective of my dolls names, than their look.

If another Hound shows up as an Armand, I might implode rapidly :)

9. *launches tea at monitor*

10. I'm sure many dolls have the named Sai, but proably not for the reason my doll has that name : 3

I know there's a lot of Yens who keep their default wigs, and it seems everyone has a pair of DOD black pleather pants.

But nearly everything Sai wears is made by me or my mom, and even if we're inspired by somthing else, what we make turns out completely diffrent.

I'd be susprise dif people made exact duplicates of Sai's clothes, but I'd be a little worried as I'd like to make and sell them.

11. For me it depends on the name - there's another Jenna here, it's not a choa, but - again, I didn't htink for a sec anybody was copying. Jenna is a real girl's name, as is Sabrina. Even Shawn for a girl isn't unheard of. Now if there was another girl Elijah, I might not like that too much - any name that was particularly unusual, it wouldn't seem right to "take" that name. In fact I LOVVVEE the name Temperance; it's a real name, fairly common in Puritan times, but since I ALSO love the Temperance 4sisters of evildolly, it didn't seem like I could use that name - ESP for another 4sisters.

12. Korin No Seiji, my username comes from him. ^____^ But Seiji is a regular Japanese name, so when I saw him in your signature, my first thought wasn't that your doll was based off him, I didn't even make the blond/purple connection! I'm used to Seijis (and also Korins) that have nothing to do with him. ^_~

As for the main topic, I was sort of frustrating when joy and I had been planning a doll named Janus all year and then Angel Region did a notdoll edition named that. not in a terrible way, because they look totally different, but just because you like not to be confused with other dolls. And in the photo contest another one of the entries was a hound (same version as ours) who was either named Janus or Janus was used as the theme, I couldn't really tell. ^^; which sort of made me go "eep!" not because omg someone copied me, because I think it's way more likely two people having the same idea independently, but because "yikes *I* don't want to look like a copycat." ^_^;;;; And again, not wanting our dolls to be confused with someone else's.

also, there is at least one other board member who has both a present ren smile and a jade version two, but they're both AR dolls that came out pretty close to one another, and look good together, and the other dolls have totally different personalities, so I just enjoy seeing them. ^___^ It's like they're related.

I would get more annoyed I think when the *personality* and history etc of my doll is ripped off. Because there are limits to clothes and molds and wigs and even names, but a doll's personality is something a little more unique.

13. I've only seen three Bomis on this forum, in the database, so I'm not too afraid of copying. If someone did take all of it, the looks and the faceup, they wouldn't be the same still. Just twins. It's the personality that makes the doll and a lot about Kazutaka still isn't known to this forum, and only to me. :3

14. Erm, I should point out that a fanny isn't the same thing in the USA as it is here in the UK, what USians call a fanny, we call a bum (and what they call a bum, we call a derelict).

:wiggle

Liz

15. I specifically chose not to call my Hound Armand simply because it would have been far too confusing having two hounds called Armand on the board! :lol:

Anyway, I think Marius' name suits him far better. I may yet end up with an Armand, but mine will likely be a Yder, not another Hound. (I have this vague plan of getting an SA Hound to be Lestat....)

16. Isn't "fanny" some sort of slang for sex? I thought I heard that somewhere... *ponders*

(although we call bottoms "bums" as well XD and have a whole slew of names for derelicts... from PC to waaaaay not PC)

To the point though... When I read the first post of this thread, I thought "Man, I'd be so annoyed if someone copied Spade... " but the more I thought about it, the less I'd be annoyed.

... why wouldn't I be thrilled to see more Boggarts running around? The only thing I'd require is that they all bow down to Spade as their Boggart King... or... perhaps that's what Spade would require of them... *ponders*

The only thing that would really annoy me would be if someone copied *everything* about a doll I had... such as, going out and getting the same exact model, modding it in exactly the same way, giving it exactly the same name and backstory, then making it the exact same clothing... THAT would annoy me... but otherwise, I think I'd be ok.

17. :-oOMG what did I say? ROFL!! :oops:

18. In UK: Fanny = Female Genitals. I'm actually from the US so 'fanny' has always meant bum to me too. You can imagine the look my English husband gave me when I mentioned something about fanny packs (aka bum bags.)

19. *sweat* :-o I swear I didn't know! oh god how embarrassing.

20. Oh that's too funny about what fanny means in the UK, LOL.

I'll have to remember that in case I ever get to visit England, which is something I would LOVE to do.

Arkady, there are some other Armand's on the board, but they aren't hounds. It would have definately been confusing if there were two Hounds named Armand. Marius is a cool name, and a way cool character as well :)