1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Copy Cats! - does it bother you if someone tries to copy your doll's style/looks?

Jan 19, 2006

1. GAHAHAHAHHAAA !

I almost spit my drink on the compy XDD

2. All of my girls have custom face-ups, but my boys are default, so any other default Soo Ri or Lune is going to look similar to them, and that doesn't bother me.

Names don't really bother me either. My mom named our Soo Ri Jaden, and it turns out there is another Jaden on this board (though I've never seen him). She just liked that name. And I know there are a ton of Gabriels, but I like the name and it's appropriate to the doll. I wouldn't be surprised if there is another Genevieve, or Paige, etc.; nobody can have a monopoly on a name. You might think it's original, and someone's ripping you off, but it's more likely that they heard the name elsewhere and just liked it.

The thing that I've noticed a lot in this hobby is that people really seem to strive to make their dolls into their vision of what they should be. And a lot of people are influenced by similar things (anime, manga, movies, etc.). Obviously,we all this love of dolls in common, wouldn't it be likely we have other interests in common too?

3. hey, I suddenly remember :D I saw a dollie in someone's sig, and he was also called Vasiley ^^ but it was spelled differntly(there are many ways to write his name)..it didn't bother me, I thought it was funny ^^ there aren't too many dolls who have Russian names..I don't know if Sumiya's a common japanese name, I never heard of it, that is, only saw it in a manga ^^ I agree that names are..well..more unique to your doll, than a wig or a pair of eyes. I remember I first wanted to turn my character Jocelyn into a doll, but then I discovered a certain, very famous doll with the same name..^^''(though my Jocelyn is very different, and has been my chraracter for very long, but still..it wouldn't feel right, I wouldn't want people to only think of the other Jocelyn when seeing my boy)

4. In terms of just style, no, but when someone says, "I want to get the same sculpt of doll as you and base it on the same obscure character as you", I get kind if irked and feel ripped off.

5. LOL..All my girls have common names. Zoe,Emma,Kirah and Valentina. All common here in Canada anyways. I chose em cause I like em. It would be completely ridiculous of me to think I am the only one with these names.. I KNOW I have seen other dolls named Emma and Zoe for sure. But I dont think they were the same doll.
      I just think the chances of the same name is very common. Just like when you see 3 to 5 kids in the same class with the same name. Everyone thought they were being so different and unique lol. Also.. My boy who is coming is going to be named Riley. Cause I like it. I havent checked if there is a doll with this name yet. But I just think it is really funny when some get upset, when there dolls name is so common. Now if it was completely unique..say Jeremiah Blue. And someone else named there doll that..THAT would be copying. lol. So all owners whos dolls have the name zoe, emma, kirah, valentine and Riley..I apologize. And it was not my intent to copy.. I just LOVE those names ;D It is what I would name my own kids if I had any!!

6. One of my nick names or user IDs is Juniper and I have been waiting for a time when the name would fit one of my dolls. I took the name back in 1993 when I saw the movie Benny & Joon in the theater; the main character's name was Juniper (Joon). I love that movie and the name too... :)

7. I wouldn't be all that upset by it, unless they copied EVERYTHING about the doll - same basic history, same opinions and personality, same looks, similar name - that would make me wiggle and screech bad, bad things that I could never say around my mother.

Honestly, I've seen other dolls that remind me of my own - it's impossible to avoid, with the headmolds we have to work with. Usually, it makes me happy - yay! Someone else likes what I like! - to see them, and I'll often PM the person, or post in a place I know they will see, in order to mention it. In a very friendly way, of course.

The closest I've ever come to a moment of annoyance with this kind of thing was when I saw someone had named a doll they'd gotten something almost identical to a doll of mine, so that when shortened for a nickname it WAS the same as what I called mine when I shortened it, and my doll's name is COMPLETELY made-up and very unique. That was kinda weird, and made me wonder if they'd seen my doll's name and used that as the basis for their own doll, but even then, it wasn't really upsetting. For one thing, my doll is BIG, and theirs was a mini, and also their characters are nothing alike.

8. Nope! I didn't ever know you had a Juniper until I named my Juniper Snowpea, then I noticed yours - or you commented about it or something. :smile: I got the name Juniper off of one of those dopey fairy name generators; it's also the name of a little girl on a cute cartoon I like, called the Life and Times of Juniper Lee.

9. Most of my dolls are based on characters, either from anime, real life or just some I made up. I would feel kinda funny if someone did copy my ideas, though, if they liked what I have done with any one of my dolls and had to have one too, I guess there is nothing I can do to stop them.
      As far as names go, most my dolls are named after movie stars or characters, or people I know. For example I have a Meg, for Meg Ryan, Drew for Drew Barrymore, Emma for Emma Thompson, Max for my Grandpa, Leeron for the son of my Mom's best friend, etc, etc... So, I guess, I copied there... haha... :)

10. Names don't bother me too much. I named my Chiwoo Adrien to honor my nephew who passed away - and there are lots of Adrien or Adrian's around. I changed the spelling on Leeda's name because of another DES named Leda and now we have a user named Leeda...so it happens.

As far as copying, I have had people want to "copy" the Paris I painted (Eamon) and even commission me to do his "brothers" (since I won't recreate him exactly). I don't mind that they love Eamon's looks and want one of their own, but I have to confess that it did take some of his specialness away for me. Enough that he has found a new home.

Variations on a theme I guess. ^_^

11. This reminds me of something I heard in a writing class once.
      Something about there are only seven original plots, and all of them have been used to death.
      ie: no matter how cool or original you think you are, someone, somewhere, has already done it.

Anyway, Ichii isn't cool enough to copy, so ... :oops:

12. I don't think anyone would want to copie my dolls. ^^;; They are not orginal enough. Har.. har... but if theres a chance anyone does, i would be ok with it, but if it was something i made for my dollies and was selling it and someone made the samething... then I'll be mad. ^^;;

13. I haven't seen any doll like Jillian yet.. but I would be a little upset, however I don't think anyone intentionally copies another person's doll.. or at least I hope not!

14. I remember when I first saw your DES with the name Leeda and thought it was so neat because that's my actual real name ^^;; and I have NEVER seen anyone spell it the way I do....its always variations like Leda, Lida, Lidia or whatever but never Leeda.

As for others copying my dolls....can't really do much about names, wigs, eyes or their dress....but custom face-ups and character....that would probably annoy me.

15. I don't have my doll yet so bear with me. :sweat

People have told me that I'm very good with words and descriptions (I dunno if that's true or not), but when it comes to describing what I want in a doll's face-up, I often find myself at a loss for the right words. Since I'm so bad at describing face-ups, I usually use pictures to show what I want or what I'd like. I have defenitely been influenced by pictures I have seen of other dolls, but luckily there is always something that I would change to better fit my own esthetic.

Once I start collecting, I hope that none of my dolls look exactly like dolls that belong to other people, and will do my bext to avoid copy-catting. I would never be influenced by one doll, get one of my own just like it, then lie and say that it was all my idea, or that the original owner stole the idea from me. That's just mean.

But sometimes two very different owners who have never met eachother can accidently end up having very similar dolls, and as long as both people don't react with rudeness, I think its kinda cool. :) It would show that they have something in common, and they may become close friends. :daisy

I'm not sure how I'd react if I thought someone had directly copied my doll. The other doll would have to be VERY similar to convince me, since sometimes two dolls just accidently look alike. I think it would all depend on the person's attitude toward my doll. If she was aloof and mean, I'd be upset, but if she absolutely adored my doll, I think it would be ok with me. :daisy

16. Hm... name bothers me a little. But not if it is in another type of doll. A DOD Mir called Chocolate and with a personality alike mine, would make me mad. Chocolate is not so ordinary for a name.
      Mikael is more ordinary, but I'd be bothered if there was a Hoo, called Mikael and with his personality.
      Actually, my highest problem is: same headmold + personality... if add +same name, I die.

17. Hmmm... I hadn't thought about name copying. *_*

I defenitely want my dolls to have their own names unique to their image and personality. In other words, I want to name my first doll (an FCS snow-skinned Mimi) Claudia. If I saw another Mimi with the same name, I'd be a bit surprised, but not angry. But if they looked extremely similar to my own, AND shared her name, I think I'd be a little upset.

Choosing the perfect name for your doll should come from your heart. It's ok to be influenced by others, but don't ignore your own creativity. :daisy

18. As most others say, yes I would be upset, if it were obviously copying. But I haven't seen anyone do it yet, and it'd be hard...my dolls aren't based on anything outside of my own head, they have multi-part, obscure or made-up names, and they are summed from many parts. ^^ My girls may get tattoos at some point, and if they do, they'd be on the fly out of my head. I wouldn't feel good about copying anyone else, either; I like for my girls to be original and come from me. Although if some one else and I happened to have similar ideas I wouldn't feel guilty about it.
      wig and eye combinations probably wouldn't bother me much...I haven't see anyone with those exact wigs and eyes combinations, though. I think if anyone copied my faceups it'd probably be obvious. And clothes - I like to mix different outfits together, and my girls do have original styles and preferences I like to keep unique to them, but if a complete store-bought outfit, like the Luts corset sets, showed up on both my and other dolls, it'd be stupid of me to get upset ^^

19. we´re taking about a forum with way maaany people hence many dollls,
      yet there´s the BJD opedia where people get their ideas for example about the faceup before getting a doll..if you post pics there there´s always the risk...anyway I do everytime I can because I myself ask sometimes and I know how it feels like to have an idea messed up.

I did have a hard time deciding what kyuubi ´s faceup before I ordered it custom with a few pages of description and some photoshop images, and yes..I´ve seen a hell of a lot of new lishes looking very similar since june when I first posted pics in the forums...I have´nt post many of my moonlight cute girl because the photobucket takes like 20 minutes every time I want to upload pics and drives me crazy, besides it´s only been recently that I got a decent camera since mine was stolen

I just guess there´s nothing one can do about it, we´re talking about smething very personal..if a person yet wants to spend so much money on what will be a copy they will only be fooling themselves..
      other tah that, I had a project for a future doll that would be exactly like a character, but not the money yet...I posted about it ad funnyly enough the same persno that answered back thenhas recently got this same doll customized the same way and comissioned or made (don´t know) the exact same outfit...and don´t get me started on the faceup
      ..I still want it and ..is not that big a deal..this person does not even live in my country...but it just made me feel stupid
      I don´t know if anybody will read this or share my opinion but..I took the risk when posted it and I know there´s nothing I could do about it,,..anyway I did not expect this would happen when I posted back in....can´t even remember

...anyway , similarities are unavoidable and yet every single doll is special, that´s the beauty of this hobby....but there´s a difference between "similar" and "fotocopy"
      I think if you´re to do that, you should at least ask, but that´s just me

20. I would like to have another Nolan on the board! Or a Crash or something. If they were the same headmolds as my Nolan and Crash, I would be surprised, but not at all upset. Hell, not even if they had the same wigs and stuff. My dolls just aren't unique like some around here.