1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Cosplaying a Doll?

Dec 28, 2006

1. I always admired famous cosplayer Jin Joson and Alodia, especially their cosplay as Dream of Doll Shall and Sha. Usually on DoA , we see a lot of great doll cosplays of anime/game/celebrity figures. I was wondering if there are any of you who considered cosplaying as LE dolls in their default outfits? I would love to see some SOOM monthly dollies or Volks cosplays.

(I'm actually interested in doing Okita the second myself :lol:)

2. Volks had their own people dressed up as their dolls (with doll-like masks/heads and all) for some of their events. I'm sure there are some photos posted somewhere...

I've seen some people cosplay dolls at Volks events. I'm sure it's been done. Not often, though.

But it's a cool thread-topic. I'd definitely like to see some SOOM MD cosplays! That would really look so cool!

3. I think most people in the doll hobby would rather spend the money on the dolls than dressing up like them. xD The costumes would be a bit expensive, I imagine most people would want to spend that on their dolls clothes and just cosplay in something they already have.

4. I've never seen anyone cosplay a specific BJD, but I have seen generic ones. Some look great while others look absolutely atrocious. It all depends on the execution, really.

About the Limited Edition part, I honestly don't follow all brands close enough to recognize many, and I'm sure they wouldn't get the attention most cosplayers crave to match the amount of work it would take. Most would go for a recognizable character from the entertainment industry first. I think generic BJD is the way to go.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1718324/

5. Why not ;)
      A friend of mine has cosplay of Dream Of Doll Kalix. It was bit ... creepy but absolutely gorgeous. I may consider doing LE Bory :P Who knows, maybe next year (I've got plenty of cosplay plans for this year but the idea is tempting)

6. If anybody would cosplay Sard, I'd marry that person, hands down.
      Personally, I stopped cosplaying a while ago and I can't see myself starting again any time soon.
      Too much money I could spend on dolly-stuff ^^'

7. I've seen pics of someone (it might've been that same Korean duo) cosplaying DoT Kalix and another person with the legenary Black Ducan's outfit on!

The general cosplay community at large may or may not recognize/care, but the dollfan-and-cosplay scene would absolutely get it and love it. Depending on where you are, that could be a hefty cross-section of humanity, so I say do it & do more of it! What fun it would be to see the whole Soom Zodiac.

And I will adopt any boy I meet who's dressed like Volks's Isao Nanjou (either version!). :fangirl: Those Tokyo Boys in their street-clothes would be easy to cosplay, and you could always wear the clothes again later. ^^

8. They haven't done it yet but my two friends are going for DoD's DoC vampire (limited? I think?) Ivan & Kirill sometime. All their other cosplays are absolutely adorable, I think they'll pull it off well. I know I'll be doing one some time later... later--just probably not a limited version--but I haven't decided which one yet. Depends on what my other half wants to do too. Haha.

>>Hatsya:
      Looking at it now my cosplay craze has died down abit now too and money is going towards dolly funds more! (I think I even imagined stopped cosplaying at one point). XD I'll probably still cosplay but cut down the number of new ones each year wayyyyy down.

9. i've cosplayed DoD's LE Kalix last year at animethon even had my Kalix Kaname dressed up in his defult outfit lol lots of ppl took pictures of us :)

10. I would love to see more cosplay for bjd :D!

11. What a neat idea! I'd love to see LE SOOM cosplays.

12. haha, I would have to agree with the above posts. Its always great when your cosplaying for someone to recognise your cosplay but the majority of people most likely wouldn't recognise BJD cosplays so the effort would seem a little wasted in a way. However, its always great when a BJD fan passes by and goes 'O.O omg she is cosplaying a dollfie!!!' (ignoring the use of terminology for a moment) which is what I got a few times when I cosplayed DoD Tender Shall. That was cool! Funding can be an issue though considering how I'd imagine cosplayers who are also BJD fans will have a hard time splitting money between the two hobbies and will most likely want to cosplay as their favourite anime character over a BJD outfit. I would definitely consider doing it again though as there are some amazing outfits.

13. Actually, I cosplayed once a LE BJD XD. I cosplayed DOT Delphine because I admired her beauty. I even bought a long white wig etc. XD BJDS are quite famous in our country. Some cosplayers cosplay DOT tender shall and DOT Sha. There's even a cosplay group (seriously, they tried to take me in XD)

but right now, im thinking of giving up my cosplay career for my little boy :X

14. I'd love to do this. Not sure who but I often think of it xD

15. A few years ago a friend and I cosplayed as Lut's Delf Art dolls, ASANYEO SOO and ASADAL CHIWOO, but we didn't actually own these dolls. We just thought they looked pretty. :XD:

16. This last week I had a thought that it could be interesting to cosplay a Ball Jointed Doll. I just don't have any idea of how I could create the ball jointed affect for a real life person to similulate those of a doll. I would like to do the wrists and finger joints. Has anyone tried cosplaining a Ball Jointed Doll before. And does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to portray the ball joints. Please let me know. Thanks.

17. a skin coloured glove with paint? or just the paint?
      but I don't mean to just make a line and go "there, that's a joint!" xD make it detailed with a bit of shading.
      I've seen a few people do that. wish I could remember a least one source of pictures...

18. Thank you for that suggestion. I didn't even think about painting the details on my actual fingers and wrists.

19. Not sure on doing a generic BJD cosplay, but I have friend who at a con she and a friend cosplayed as Sha and Shall. I think they bought the outfits somewhere.