1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Couples collecting?

Nov 19, 2005

1. St. James and I both collect BJDs and we'll be celebrating our 17th anniversary next year! Not that dolls has anything to do with it but it's nice to share a hobby! ;)

We both thought they were amazing when we first saw them and we were both already collecting 1/6th Dollfies at the time but I was the one who finally caved and got us into this mess.

2. My boyfriend LucifersChoice actually really got me into BJDs xD I liked them before I knew him but then, when we were friends always talked about the dolls and somhow.. got serious, about a year after we both had our first dolls!

Whenever I visit him I take my dolls with me, so they can also visit each other :3
      Somehow my dolls always remind me on him, since he is more or less responsible for them xD

:pcupcake

3. hehe yes it was my fault >D"

4. My boyfriend is slowly coming around, I think. He has painted miniatures in the past and expressed an interest in possibly working on faceups. He even helped give me some pointers on painting my Glot's hooves and fur.

However, he'd like a more "manly" doll to work on if he does it himself, so I've toyed with the idea of getting him an Ark head from Unidoll to work on. ;) He likes Ark's angry expression. I think if I get him started, he might become more involved. He also likes the engineering aspect of the poseability and sculpting, but I don't think he'll ever be very interested in the "character building/storytelling" aspect of the hobby.

5. I bought my boy thinking that he would be lonely but now some of my close friends have dolls of their own. So now we plan on having Doll parties together.

6. My boyfriend doesn't really collect, but he seems to enjoy my dolls, and always seems to have suggestions in mind. He WAS really interested in SOOM Beryl, but was saddened when she was sold out, and hard to find 2nd hand/expensive.

7. My husband kinda shrugged his shoulders at first. But the whole reason I got into BJDs was to bring a new level of "life" to my writing characters. Since he is a writer as well that was more understandable, so I got a lucky break on that. He actually got my first doll for me as an anniversary present. But he's come to meetups and enjoys learning about the different sculpts, modifications and costuming. When his grandfather passed, who was a very talented wood carver, his grandmother passed on some woodworking tools to my husband so I have been hinting that my guys would love some furniture, ohh, say, a throne? :) So slowly but surely....he's getting sucked in....and there is no way out. Muaha.

8. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy for spending so much money on a doll ^^ At least that's what he always says. But at the same time he keeps asking me questions about them and wants to know how I plan to dress them, what their names will be and so on. It's rather cute xD
      But I don't think he'll ever get into the hobby himself.

9. When I got my full-set Shall ages ago, my boyfriend thought it was cute that "his little doll had a new doll to play with."
      Urg.

10. At first, Dave (my fiance) barely wanted to touch Anne. She really didn't like him at first, and it was mutual, I believe. But now he holds her like a champ, without complaint, and much safer and more comfortably than before. He thinks that 60cm is too big for him, but he may be interested in having a 43cm doll. I plan on getting a Volks Mini Super Dollfie in the future, so he'll be able to see if he likes her size. If he does, he can order a girl of his own. They'd probably even be sisters!

Amalia

11. All of my dolls are RP characters that my husband and I created together, and I ask for his input in everything - from the mold that's chosen to the proper eyes and wigs. I'd say I'm into the hobby more than he is right now because the photography aspect really isn't his thing, but if we had the time/facilities to do any sort of hardcore customization he'd feel differently. He considers the dolls to "belong" to me even though some of them are embodiments of "his" characters. Recently he has admitted to liking a few other molds that I have only a passing interest in and I've been urging him to get one of those for himself but he says only after I've gotten all the dolls I want (aka never, because he thinks I won't stop buying them :doh).

12. Well...you might say the dolls are technically mine, but the truth is my hubby loves them too. We spent the better part of an entire day last week designing new eyes together for my Batchix Machina robot girl, Quadrophenia. My husband had very definite ideas about what he wanted them to look like and we poored over the Enchanted Doll Eyes owner pics thread together looking for the perfect style and colors. He didn't bat an eye at how expensive custom urethane eyes are...he just said "Well, she deserves them!" We treat the BJDs around here just like they're part of the family, so it's very much a shared hobby.

13. My husband, Lord Ravenswood, did at one point admit that he had thought of getting himself Iplehouse's Swan Lake Soori...but he did not. He does help me with my dolls though, such as suggesting wigs or choosing eyes, and I often find him posing my first girl. I'm not sure if he will ever purchase a doll just for himself, but he's interested enough that I don't drive him crazy rambling about BJDs anymore. ^_~

14. My boyfriend isn't so much into the dolls themselves, but I know he enjoys the creative aspect of the hobby. He and I have worked up some furniture designs, tapping into his love of scale models and woodworking, and he's also agreed to help me build a nice home for my (eventual) tinies. He knows enough about sculpts and companies to know that Pukis are absolutely adorable, (Cupid2 is his favorite), and he appreciates the artistry that goes into the different dolls, as well as the quality that gives them their price tag. I count myself lucky. He's not totally involved in the hobby, but we can certainly share some parts of it!

15. My fiance has his own BJD collection. We are always talking about dolls with each other! It's great to have such a special person to share my future doll plans with, look at new doll stuff, or just play with our dolls together.... it definitely makes the hobby more enjoyable for me.

I'm so thankful that he enjoys this hobby with me, it makes me extremely happy!

16. Although - I have yet to purchase my first doll (Boris! *soon I promise!*) My boy already knows this is something there is going to be more than one of. He collects canide stuffed animals, nice ($90.oo) ones. Not 50c machine ones... He's a furry, so he keeps looking at the anthro Fox and Wolf types and says I should get one of those. ((Which will be my second doll to surprise him!))

I pretty much think, once he gets his claws into the anthro dolls - all of his change is going into the doll fund coffee can, instead of only when he randomly remembers. At least he adds something right?!
      :sweat

17. I purchased my first doll roughly 18months ago. Within a few months my second doll and my hubby's first doll were on their way to our home. The boys arrived on the same day. Hubby wasn't that interested at first, but after spending some time with the local doll group he had to have one of his own. I don't know if he is as "into" the dolls as I am, he tends to be a bit more reserved about hobbies, but he is a member here on DOA and active with our local group too. He definitely enjoys his dolls, he is ordering himself a new one as a birthday gift (I never know what to buy for him).

18. My last boyfriend respected my dolls and would thoughtfully listen to me talk about them. He gave me input on my Sard's hoof blushing (which turned out to be a good thing) and told me he'd be willing to help me with restringing or any other non artistic aspects of the hobby. He made it clear that he'd never get into dolls himself, but that he thought mine were cool.

This was nice and all, but I can't help thinking that it would be awesome to be with a guy who was full blown into dolls. Any straight, single, Christian guys out there who like dolls and want to date me?! lol :lol:

19. Me and two of my best buddies are major into this hobby atm...and my soulmate is too ^_^ we love 'em! it's fun to share this hobby with someone who doesn't flip out when i say 'my kitty cost me over 250 dollars' : |

20. when i got my first doll my girlfriend hated her, but she slowly started to get interested and has now spent more on doll stuff than i have