1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Couples collecting?

Nov 19, 2005

1. Hahaha! I remember showing my boyfriend Fuuga, from Charles' Creature Cabinet.

"WHOA...She's creepy, but somehow adorable."

We're both artists and he appreciates them as art. :)

2. That is so sweet!!! I've actually been dreaming of meeting a guy who would do something like that lol I think it would be great to be able to share the hobby with my boyfriend or husband. Much more fun than playing dolly all alone :D

3. My boyfriend is really into dolls, and although he isn't interested in them as much as I am, he is thinking about getting some minimees done of his favourite characters (obviously I'm trying to push him into getting dolls so this is the closest Im going to get haha)
      But he loves writing the background stories for my dolls and helping me plan outfits and appearances of characters and such.

4. My partner doesn't consider himself a doll person, but he's crumbled in the face of a few BJD's....

I have 23 three of various sizes, he has three, big lads (SD16, Tanned Mano and an Iplehouse Ryushin fullset)... he doesn't buy them many outfits, but they tend to be the more expensive/intricate ones when he does.

Teddy

5. To be honest, I'm kind of glad my husband isn't into my dolls. We do virtually everything together...so it's nice to have something that's just for me! :)

6. Ryuku_M is my bf, we both collect but he enjoys the picking out & dressing up part more than meet ups & stuff (he refuses to take their underwear off though XD )
      my very best friend, grandma & cousin are also owners so we all sometimes just have mini meet ups in the "family" lol

7. My boyfriend likes bjd's also and he has taken to my mnf shushu :)

8. My bf is very interested in my dolls, but I think he's a little off put by the price. He also seems way more interested in the quirkier dolls, like Pipos Cheshires, or the more elaborate fantasy type dolls like the Soom monthlies than I am, so if he caves, I suspect that it will be in that direction. I think he sees them more as large customizable action figures than as dolls (or is it just that all dolls become action figures when boys play with them :P ). Still he is very supportive of me being in the hobby, which is nice.

9. My wife and I got into BJDs together.

We both collected toys and dolls related to our favourite TV shows and movies, then graduated to custom dolls (Volks dollfies and Obitsu 1/6 scale). Gradually we discovered we were both falling in love with the big beautiful resin girls we had seen out there.

Eventually we saved up and bought our first BJDs at the same time. I got my Elfdoll Soah, Claudia and my wife got her Luts DES, Mina Vespasia. We have continued to buy our dolls together most of the time. It is a joy to be able to share my love of these dolls with the love of my life. :)

10. Just wondering if your in a relationship is your partner ok with you hobby or do they know? *_* Some partners are and some are not?

11. I'm married and my husband is fine with me buying/collecting BJD's as long as I don't run up credit card debt. I recently purchased my first one and let my husband know he's going to have to make furniture, lol. He doesn't make fun of me or laugh at me either and he's been very supportive.

12. I have a partner, we live together in the same house. He has two children from a previous relationship. I've started caring for my lovely dolls and my beautiful Samoyed boy because a child of my own is put on hold for now because of my chronic disease. The future looks rather grimm to be honest.

He doesn't mind me caring for my dolls as long as I don't start collecting them on grand scale and filling up the house. I currently have two but plan on selling one of them. I am currently eyeing a third (or second if one gets sold). He's already being difficult about me spending so much money on this hobby. I haven't even started getting extra clothing, eyes or wigs. He thinks I'm quite childish but frankly I couldn't care less. I drive a motorcycle, struggle through a full-time job and have to bite through a lot of pain every single day. I deserve to spoil myself once in a while. I think he's just upset that he wasn't the one to buy me the dolls I have. He bought me two Pullips for two past birthdays that got me into the hobby. Then I decided to buy some more for myself and that's when he started getting upset, haha~ Either way he leaves me alone most of the time so I think I have the right to fill my time with what I like best which is dolls and my dog, both of which he doesn't like.

13. Married here, and while Mr.Brightfires doesn't really "get" the doll-thing, he's fine with it.
      I don't get all of his hobbies, either, so it's fair. :lol:

14. Married and my hubby supports it. I have shelled some of his characters as dolls and he helps me pick them out. He isn't the collecting sort but he is happy with the dolls I have made based off of his characters.

15. Living together and partner took a little bit to get over the price but he has always been supportive. He doesn't even shrug at the price anymore. Now when I tell my family I can get a doll for $400 they go "wow! What a good deal!" Glad I got the $1200 head out of the way in the beginning ;) Now everything seems like a deal in comparison lol!

It really isn't about the price anyways. It comes down to the happiness and joy the hobby brings me. Everyone in my family see's it, partner included. So they fully support me :)

16. My boyfriend loves figurines and painting models, so doesn't see anything strange about my dolls :) he likes to pick out outfits for them & help me with decisions regarding wigs/eyes. He makes furniture at his work, so he's also undertaken to build the girls some furniture!
      We both enjoy expensive hobbies so he doesn't mind that part at all, especially as we both sacrifice other things to save up :)
      The only part he hates is my one boy doll... Hopefully after his new face-up he'll warm up. But I think we both just prefer cute girls haha!

17. I've been married for 5 years now, known him for 10, and got my first doll 3 years ago. So he knows all about my hobby. He has his own hobbies too, so we support each others interests.

18. As a starting BJD collector my boyfriend finds them creepy, and i don't even own one yet. The first thing he said to me was "they are not gonna stand/sit somewhere i see them daily". Other remarks where a bit harsher, but in the end of the day we can compremise. We have a guestroom where they can be out of there box, so he has accepted it. About the price of the dolls, he hasn't said anything about it so i can breath easy. My daugher of 4 loves to look at sculpts with me. So she is pretty happy about dolls.

19. I recently just got into a new relationship and we started out as friends first. In the friendship stage, I let him know about my hobby and basically OBSESSION with dolls lol he was surprisingly accepting about it. He lives 3 hours away from me and our first visit, he encouraged me to bring a doll. I totally would've but showing him my hobby is one thing and showing his whole FAMILY is another. Maybe next time.

You know your relationship is off to a good start when he doesn't think you're a weirdo for your hobby lol :aheartbea

20. I'm engaged and my fiance fully supports my dolls. While he's not as obsessed with them as I am, he doesn't mind them hanging out in our bedroom (no doll phobia or "creepy" comments), and he actively listens to me go into detail about their characters, storylines, and future plans for my collection. I feel like he appreciates them on an artistic level and all of the detail that goes into them. He understands how deeply attached I get to them and I'm very appreciative he doesn't mock or ignore something so important to me.