1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Couples collecting?

Nov 19, 2005

1. Iam married and my husband supports any artistic creativity I take my time for, he has his own hobbies, and I support him with his. Maybe that's why we have been together for 23 years:XD:

2. I'm married and my husband is the one who encouraged me to go for it when I was considering my first BJD and wasn't sure if I wanted to spend so much money on a doll. He's not into dolls for himself but he'll listen to me go on about whatever doll project I'm working on and he admires the creativity that I put into making things for them and doing their faceups and so on. He's awesome <3

3. Married here. Hubby took a while to warm to the dolls themselves, but has been accepting and encouraging from the beginning as far as me having them is concerned. There were occasional remarks about the price, but that was just because he saw the size of my collection coming much, much earlier than I did, hehe. After a while he grew to like them enough to get his own, one of mine that he loved and I wanted to sell. After that we soon found out there's a difference in taste and experience between us (me: human, realistic, huge backstories and constant "playing"; him: fantasy creatures, little animals, no stories and display). He has quite an impressive collection now. I created a monster, lol.

4. I've been engaged twice.

My ex fiance was... well.. it sorta SEEMED like she WANTED to like the dolls, but couldn't justify the price. I think she secretly resented them ^^;

My fiance now... he's very supportive. He even lent me money so I could buy a doll I've desperately been wanting off the MP. I think he just knows how much these dolls mean to me. He happily helps me make clothes and patterns, and he loves helping me with their stories and stuff.

5. My wife and I have been together for over 18 years. We were married in 2014 after same sex marriage was finally allowed in our state. She has always known about my hobbies regardless of what I was in to at the time. She is a real sports person, in particular, a very very enthusiastic Duke University basketball fan. I played rugby in my younger years but had not really followed college basketball. Now I too am a fan of Duke basketball. She has learned to enjoy my love of sci fi, anime conventions, and my ever growing collection of bjds.

When I am doubtful over yet another expensive doll that I really want, she will remind me that I am working and if I want to treat myself that I should do so if it is what I really want. She is the one who will one day inherit my bjds and other collectibles if she outlives me and understands how much I enjoy them. One of the great benefits of our union is that I don't have to worry that my greatly disapproving mother will carry through with her threat to sell my treasures at a yard sale (y'all may call them garage sales, or boot sales) or give them to a flea market. I know my wife will see to it that my beloved companion animals and my beloved dolls will all be taken care of. She may never be a collector but she respects that I am and heartily supports me!:aheartbea

6. I got into the hobby years after I married my husband. He was just happy that I was happy. We both have hobbies. His is robotics and rc planes. He's threatened to give my dolls a ride sometime. *_*

7. I have a dazzlingly wonderful girlfriend who enjoys the hobby, and in fact she wants a doll herself!! What? Did I talk her ear off about bjds and possibly push her over the edge of wanting one? That's absurd, why would i do something like that :aangel: :abambi:

(Sarcasm aside, I'm so glad to have someone who not only supports it but shares an interest)

8. I have a boyfriend who buys figurines and builds and paints models. While he understands my doll hobby, he doesn't get why just the doll itself costs so much.

9. I'm happy to hear your partners supporting you all that's great:XD:

10. Married and the husband thinks they are cool! He says if he was into it more, he'd save up for a Soom doll! :) My 2 year old daughter likes my dolls too. :) The rest of my family sees them as "art", even my sister-in-law (both she and my brother are artist). :D

11. My husband became a doll person when my first full doll came through the door. He has vastly different tastes in aesthetics and size, but he is very much a doll person too. We raised our son to be a doll person as well!

12. My boyfriend is cool about my dolls and, doesn't mind when I take one out with us (I have tiny BJDs so, they hide out in my purse) He wouldn't sit with me and dress them or anything like that but, he knows the dolls make me happy :)

13. All my serious relationships have occurred since I'm collecting dolls. I'm still pretty young, and the guys I date are around my age, so it's not just older adult men who are okay/accepting of the hobby. I even had an ex buy a doll of his own (which I bought from him when we broke up). My current bf and I have been talking about moving in and he's even said we should put together a display for my collection.

It's all a matter of having a partner who respects you and respects what's important to you.

14. I'm married and my husband supports my choice of hobby. He can get a bit fed up of listening to me obsess over dolly plans and face up work etc though. He is into high end Yoyos (if anyone here has heard of clyw and the like) so some of those can cost a fair amount, admittedly not as much as a bjd but still the collecting mentality is there!

15. My boyfriend supports me and is/ says everything/ acts perfectly accepting of my hobby, but I think that I would like him to actually comprehend my obsession better :P He's doing everything right, but I wish he'd be as into them as he is about action figures so we could have dolls together ;D

16. I have a fiance and he is ok with the fact that I have a doll I think (I convinced him it's a good thing since I sell clothes so he's making some money off it at least lol) But it's kind of awkward because sometimes I just want to sit and watch tv or whatever with my doll on my lap, but I know he would find that weird so I don't :/

17. I have a Master, an Owner.
      He got me my first doll.
      Now I work on getting him his one.

18. I consider myself very fortunate that my boyfriend is supportive. We've been together for 5 years now, and the BJD hobby was something I had put on hiatus before I met him. When I got back into the hobby last year, I was rather apprehensive about telling him about it, but he was and still is my best friend and I wanted to be open with him.

Initially, he was a little awkward about it, but he was able to appreciate them due to his love of Japanese culture. I eventually brought 2 of my dolls with me to the US (I moved here to study and to be with him). When he saw how much they made me happy and smile, I think he warmed up to them more. I often get his opinion on dolls that I think look nice now, and he always listens and gives his thoughtful opinion. He sometimes comments on how cute the little ones are, or how beautiful/cool the large ones are. And no matter how many other male BJDs I show him, he still thinks my Yukinojo is the coolest and said he that if he ever got a doll someday, he wants a Yukinojo (and not the SDGou, he is very specific about it being the SD16 version lol). He also drives and accompanies me to the local doll meets x3

I hope that all the BJD hobbyists will be able to find a supportive partner who can appreciate the hobby as well! :daisy

19. My fiance and I both have dolls. At first he was a bit weirded out by them, but now he's quite confident in talking about them and exploring different companies' sculpts.

20. I'm married and I've known my husband for years. I collect a few different things and a few different types of dolls. I just started with BJD. He raises his brow a bit when the mention of cost is brought up for the ones that I like:lol: That being said, he's always supportive, in that, if it makes me happy then it's all good. It does drive him a bit batty when I go on and on about dolls, but I remind him that I listen to him when he talks about his hobby. I keep most of my dolls in our bedroom and it doesn't bother him. He's actually put together a cabinet and hung shelves for me to display them. So, yeah, he's completely supportive.