1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Creators that you can't find anymore.

Oct 2, 2020

1. Stick around long enough and you'll see entire... I guess you could call them "generations"... of doll folk come and go. It's sort of the nature of the beast with hobby communities. People's interest and involvement, just like trends in sculpts and styling, aren't forever.

2. Except for old fossils like me that never went anywhere. I've been in the hobby long enough to grow moss; layers of it, even. *_*

3. Individuals certainly stick around... I was speaking more in general terms.

4. I miss Swandzz/Pintsizedpalace's YouTube videos like crazy!! She will always be my favorite doll related content creator and was a big influence when I started in the hobby. She still makes the occasional doll vids on Patreon but what really breaks my heart is that she privatized all her old vids. This may sound really weird but I would pay her for a zip file of all those videos just so I could watch them on really bad days to cheer up her old crew and content are really special to me. Ok I definitely sound weird now, shutting up!

5. Sigh. I miss Frappzilla. They made the most amazing wigs, but now they're pretty much...gone.

6. Frappzilla still very much exists. She’s just now making dolls instead of wigs. The wigs were giving her bad allergic reactions and were causing her to be constantly in poor health.

7. I don't blame her for wanting to get out, but yeah, to me, 'Frappzilla' was wigs, and it's the wigs that I miss. They were unique and beautiful.

8. Atelier Soda!! My icon (from many years ago) is wearing the hat from this set... They mostly made beautiful elaborate dresses though. I wonder where they went.
      [​IMG]

9. In regards to ecplise21, I miss seeing their work too! I believe she was a photographer and she started putting more time and focus into that. I don't know if she's just left the international realm of the hobby and still remains active more locally, or if she's left the hobby entirely (if so I would kill to buy any wigs she would like to rehome!). Either way, I hope she is well and still enjoying her wonderful art! <3

10. idk if it counts since i dont think they actually sold them since i never saw other dolls outside of a few prototypes but SilentCreatures and lilyoftheforest's Vanadyr.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG] [​IMG]

and in case you are asking, yes i am and always would be a horse girl at heart

#30 Doina Voina, Apr 2, 2021
      Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    11. Mio clothes used to amaze me back in the day. I know they wronged a number of people but the details on their denim blows my mind even now.

I think Tanya Style also made some really beautiful stuff, she also did some really lovely faceups as well, but hardly anything from her now days. Her MSD F-20 is the whole reason I own one now!

I'll have to think of some more people but those two stand out in addition to things people already mentioned.

#31 Allegra, Apr 2, 2021
      Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    12. Nicolle's Dreams is still on YouTube but the channel is no longer posting doll content, or content period. Her old videos are still visible, and I still like to go back and watch them from time to time, but here aren't any new videos. It sucks that things like this happen, but that's life. People come and go from the hobby, it is what it is.

13. She’s got a few new ones up now, but they only deal with watercolors. I miss her doll stuff too. Maybe someday. She is active on Instagram, but that’s also mostly paint.

Does anyone know what happened to Guppykisses on Etsy? The shop never reopened, the Instagram account linked to it is private, and I don’t have a Facebook account to see anything from that link.

14. I genuinely don't understand the fascination with Instagram. It seems cluttered and messy to me. I can never find anything, but if I'm super lucky and do find something, the app auto-refreshes itself and *bam* - picture gone.

15. Oh, everyone knows Instagram is crap, but there’s no alternative that’s active right now. I like Flickr a lot better, but posting there feels like being that one last holdout refusing to move out of a ghost town. :XD:

I don’t know that I miss individual creators like that. I miss friends in the hobby who have left or who have died, but it’s because of who they are as people, not what they produce. I’m still mourning companies that have disappeared like DoD and Doll in Mind, or that Fairyland/LUTS breakup that killed the old Delf line, but YouTubers didn’t contribute anything to my hobby experience. When they get tired of the dreaded comments section going off on them and leave, I’m like, “Good for you!”

I do think the reason there aren’t new YouTubers doing what the old ones did is because they saw how that situation played out. There’s not a lot of reward for putting that kind of work into videos. It looks to me like they just get lambasted until they can’t take it anymore and disappear, and I’m not sure that makes the hobby more fun.

16. Why are you tubers getting “lambasted”? I’m in both the BJD and American fashion doll community and it seems there’s a bit of contention between the two. A couple of my favorite American doll creators on YouTube have dabbled in BJDs and the comment section in such videos tend to skew negative and I’m not sure why.
      One such video I watched the girl said she felt there wasn’t enough diversity in BJDs. But that isn’t true at all?? Many companies offer a variety of skin tones…. I chalked it up to her having limited knowledge but it sucks she was spreading misinformation about BJDs. I have yet to find a good BJD YouTube channel that I follow religiously as I do with some other channels.

17. No, I was referring to the examples of some of the people noted as having been prominent and now gone on the last page. There was a lot of commentary at the time dissecting what they said and how they said it that wrong or right went on and on and on until they went away. DoA doesn’t allow offsite drama to be brought to the forum, so you can Google some names yourself if you’re curious.

#37 Amet, Jul 3, 2021
      Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    18. That’s probably for the best…

19. Re: the thing with fashion doll collectors... That's a hold-over from early days, mostly.

There was a time before fashion-scale resin dolls were really A Thing, and when larger dolls that were a closer match to the usual fashion-style aesthetics were fewer and farther between. At that point in time, there was a lot of grouching from some quarters about our "ugly anime dolls" and how we should never be allowed to "take over the hobby" and other similar pearl-clutching. Traditional doll collectors can be a surprisingly hide-bound bunch, and some look at almost anything new or unfamiliar with a very skeptical eye. (I caught a real ear-full from a couple of older ladies at a doll show down in Puyallup, once-upon-a-time. I'd brought my CP/Delf Miyu with me to compare scale on some potential props and they took advantage of the opportunity to let me know just how much they didn't care for "those Asian dolls"... I said something about their style not being everyone's cup of tea, and chose *not* to mention how horrifying I found their toothy, open-mouthed antiques. :lol: To each their own and all that. )

Anyway, I've seen a lot less of that attitude in the last few years. Resin fashion-scale dolls, and companies like ElfDoll and Iple seem to have won a lot of the skeptics over. I'd call that a Good Thing. And no one even raised an eyebrow over my Volks Ami at the last show I went to.

20. The whole 'YouTube exodus', I think, stemmed from YT's change in their terms of service, or whatever legal term you want to apply to it. When they hindered pretty much all those mature creators who dabbled in toy reviews or other videos such as tutorials by trying to make themselves 'kid-friendly' and pretty much forced a form of censorship upon them. I think a lot decided to just leave YouTube behind, taking to Instagram, instead of cutting through all the red tape and finding a means to continue presenting the videos they wanted to make.

Another thing to consider is an individual's passion for the hobby. I find myself dipping in and out every so often. But that's the brilliance of these dolls; they can sit and wait, if you want them to. Some of those creators I followed on YouTube back in my early days seemed to find other passions that drew them in a different direction. They might still interact within the doll community, but they're nowhere near as active as they once were, or they disappeared entirely. I've seen some familiar names in this thread, who I wish were still active [or had their old videos up to find or watch again]. A lot of them gave good advice or casual reviews, or they just talked about aspects of the hobby in an amicable manner.

It's a shame that social media doesn't seem to be built for those in a hobby centred around collecting. Unless it's fast-fashion clothing hauls or misinformation (but this isn't the forum to complain about that).