1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious, how many impulse dolls?

May 28, 2017

1. All of them :frownyblush: When I discovered bjd, I needed one no matter what. I chose the minifee Lishe because it felt like a good size to start and at the same time they were mature bodies, not children. I liked that. Then I needed a bigger one and Luts released the senior delfs, so I got the Abadon. Then Dollzone released petdolls (I think they were the first ones? I'm not sure) and of course I needed a petdoll, so I got the bunny. Then I wanted to do my own face-ups and I bought a head to practice (that I never used)... And then I stopped, but I'm sure I would have continued shopping impulsively if I hadn't given up the hobby.

2. I've bought lots of impulse dolls, most of them Yo-SD, but I didn't have a character for them and therefore, I always ended up selling them...

3. My PlumeDoll Luna was an impulse buy, but she’s the best impulse I ever had! I think it helped that she was a 1/12 scale pet doll, so the cost was lower - I wouldn’t impulse buy a 400-600$ doll, that’s for sure.

4. i only have 2 dolls and they haven't arrived yet...they were both impulse. not off to a great start.

#224 GarblePlz, Sep 6, 2020
      Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    5. Just my Lati Yellow Sunny from the Doll Peddlar! It took me a week to decide. I usually like to stew on big purchases for several months beforehand.

6. Two of my three dolls that I have ordered were entirely impulse purchases. One head was second hand and a sculpt I really liked so I immediately contacted the seller and the other one I impulsively bought because I liked the grumpy look of the sculpt.

7. 2 years later, I have Yui, and Amanda. The rest have all been sold... I haven’t stopped being impulsive though.

8. For my first doll, I did a lot of looking around. Mostly because I was a freshman in high school and didn't have a lot of cash. To be honest, I wish I had just saved up more and impulse bought a Dream of Doll since they are now no longer active online and I loved their dolls. Big regret!

I recently got back into the hobby and I ordered a MNF Alicia Tan. Again after much deliberation on the sculpt. But just last week I impulse bought my first micro doll. It was listed with a few resin color defects but they were not horrible and I ordered him that night! I suddenly also had names popping in my head for him and I am looking forward to the day he arrives!

9. One or two have been total impulses. I usually like to think over a purchase, but sometimes opportunity strikes or I just really connect with a doll that's in stock/available and jump on it.

10. A few of them. Sometimes with impulse buys, I see a doll/sculpt I like, then I start thinking of ways they'd be styled. But, sometimes the waiting, due to layaways, or production time, I lose interest. Recently, I'm awaiting a doll I got on impulse. I've already thought about selling him unfortunately, but who knows, I might end up keeping him. I really need to buy bodies for my floating heads. It's hilarious, because, the list of ideal dolls is already long - I really shouldn't be impulsively buying. :|

11. My first 2 were impulse. I do not regret them at all. I felt sick at the checkout though.

12. It's mostly been impulse heads than full-on dolls in my experience. At least 6 of my heads in the two years I've gotten back into this hobby have been through pure impulse. :nowords:

13. Depends on how you define impulse? Other than my first doll, who I dreamed of for months before I could afford him, and the doll I received as a gift, I think I've spent a week or less deliberating on the rest of them. A couple were truly "I see this doll, I want this doll, I miraculously have the money, and I will buy it THIS VERY SECOND," but most were still relatively impulsive.

14. Before now, all my dolls have been planned. But I will officially own three in about two weeks. RIP my wallet. :doh

First my friend sent me a link to a listing of a sales post for a Miracle Doll Vic 45cm over on instagram, and while that particular doll wasn't even on my radar, I fell in love immediately. His sharp-tooth grin was mischievous, while the faceup and body blushing were beautiful. I needed to own him.

Flash forward to a week later, I get a notification from Etsy that an item I favorited was low in stock (I didn't even know it did that? I have intense FOMO. so that's awful and I hate it and I want to disable that feature immediately) and when I checked it was the BJD head sculpts of Hannibal and Will from the tv show Hannibal, so I impulse bought them. Then I had to find bodies to go with them, to which I wanted Volks SD13 for Will and Volks SD17 for Hannibal. I found someone in the marketplace selling a SD13, and after talking for a little it turned out they were considering selling one of their SD17s! So I bought that, too!

And now I wait... :sweat

15. Among my BJDs? None. They're too expensive and too much of a time investment. The closest exception to that rule I have is my MYOU Silvia, and I'd been mooning over her and elf-eared-dolls in general for about six months previously.

Among my play dolls? ...um... about half. Of about 18. :sweat

(To be fair, though, those are much cheaper. One was literally $5! He'd retailed for twenty times that! I couldn't just leave him!)

16. I have a lot of impulse dolls. Majority of them are not BJDs but I do have one impulse BJD that I never planned to have and I bought her because she was in stock and I couldn't get her out of my head, it's my tan Minifee Rendia who I now love. I originally planned to just have 3 minifees because having more would be overwhelming, but she was too cute. The most impulsive doll in my collection.

17. Only one. I don't regret him, but it was a struggle to make me love him, as I was disappointed when I first saw him.

I wouldn't take the risk twice.

18. The closest I have to an impulse doll is Aggi my dollzone scorpio (points to avatar) she was an event doll and at the time my sister was getting my help ordering a Big Dipper from dollzone and after seeing and falling head over heels for the scorpio sculpt I was quick to add the extra money to include her in the order.

19. I don't currently have any dolls that are impulse buys. I am the exact opposite of impulsive and need to be dragged into making decisions. If this was a thread on dolls you regret not buying, on the other hand, I have plenty of those. I do have wigs that I have impulse bought though.

20. I have always planned. If it doesn't suit it's on a list of Afters. I have bought a couple random impulse dolls though. It's never very often and I never know what to do with them.