1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious, how many impulse dolls?

May 28, 2017

1. The last two heads I bought were impulse. Mostly. I ordered Granado's V-08 because it has a fabulous smile, and I love smiling dolls and didn't want to regret not getting him. No character or plan for the head, I just bought it when it became available. Now that I have him I know exactly what I'm going to do with him....but it took the month wait to come up with something XD

Then just the other day I decided I wanted to make a Marvel character into a doll, and that evening bought him a head (another Granado). Less than a day to think about it is impulse for me. I usually wait at least a couple days!

There are more, but these last two for sure were impulses.

2. When I started in the hobby two years ago, I was only planning on getting one doll (I know, "haha"), but then things happened and now I'm waiting on my 5th. Only that first one was thoroughly researched and planned for and bought exactly according to said plan, but I'd also say that the only one bought completely on impulse was the second one; my WD Cecily, with her intriguing blue and transparent resin and ghostly photos, completely took me in. (Luckily at the time I had enough surplus income.) The other three have all been more along the lines of "it would be nice to have a [different size/color/body type] doll someday," and then one day the perfect one just grabs me. I like having different scales to work on, so now that I have all the major size categories filled I don't think I'll be tempted for a long while...?

3. Uuuh..... I guess my bunch is half and half? Like I fell for a sculpt and got it after a few days/weeks? And others I got after wanting for a while, but bought second hand sooner than possibly expected since you cant wait around on the market :P Generally all of my dolls had to tell me which OC they were, or they inspired a new OC that fit in so well, I cant really call them proper impulse XD more... Instinct buys :3

4. Hmm...going through my current doll list....three? Sort of.

Erica- I had a different doll listed for sale, got offered Erica as a trade.

LucyFaire- I had had my eye on her for YEARS but never bought her, til one day I had spare cash and came across her sales page. Excellent timing, since the dealer removed her before she was even home.

Rose- Another trade situation. I thought her sculpt was really cute, and offered the trade.

As you can see, impulse trading is common for me. I get tired of dolls easily, and frequently trade, sometimes even accepting trades I never planned to own, just to try something different. Of course, this also means there's a very high turn around rate here, as dolls I feel nothing for get traded again or sold.

I'm usually more careful when buying. If I have enough money to buy a full doll (rare for me), then I tend to agonize over what to buy before spending it.I don't want my hard earned money going to a doll I'm unsure about when I have a list of things I've wanted for a long time.

5. I have 2 for sure. One of my SD boys and then I saw my Jun for sale and just loved his face so much I couldn't pass him up. But what I had planned for him isn't what he had planned for me. I just recently found the last grail doll on the my list and couldn't pass him up either

6. I have too many impulse buy dolls, but I love them all. Some days, I just need a doll fix, so I decide on the spur of the moment to buy one, even though I had no intention of buying any more dolls for awhile. Also, I've just been looking at dolls online and see one that takes my breath away and I have to have her. I wish I could stop buying any new dolls and just enjoy the ones I have, but I think it's an addiction. When I need that "fix" I'll buy one.

7. So far only one of my dolls is planned, the rest are impulse, mostly based on what comes up second hand. I buy second hand alot because I don't like long waits and then they come with some soul to them already.

8. So glad to see I'm in good company (but I'm almost scared to end up with such a large collection!!) XD I'll light a candle for our bank accounts.

And "instinct buy"... I like that. Very fitting!

9. I have too many issues with anxiety to impulse buy. That being said, I only own a head so far, maybe it will change as I continue in this hobby. However, I hate buying for myself, and my husband spent days trying to reassure me it was okay to buy my sweet girl's head...and it was less than $30. So maybe my wallet is safe?

10. I can't afford to impulse buy anything, really. My wishlist is carefully planned out and mostly contains sculpts I've been looking at for years. So, I don't have any impulse bought dolls as the one I'm currently saving for has been sought after by me since release. :)

11. I impulse buy a lot. As soon as I see a sculpt that I had previously shown the littlest bit of interest in for sale, I always snatch them up. It's a bad habit, especially because I never bond with my impulse buys like I do with the rest of my resin kids. I've gotten better at controlling the urge, though!

12. Is there such a thing as a planned impulse buy? If so, I have two.

The first, I needed a body for my Ell head, but was putting it off for the future since I couldn't decide between two bodies I wasn't super crazy about anyway. Then this doll with the perfect body and an owner open to splitting popped up on the marketplace and next thing I knew the body was shipping to me. I am glad I went for it though because I probably wouldn't have found one secondhand again. I'm just really lucky it was anywhere near matching, because I could find nothing about the match.

The second, two things happened. One, I thought the head I had been waffling for months on was being discontinued, and two, it finally popped up on the marketplace in the color I wanted. I pounced unprepared, but it turned out it wasn't being discontinued after all. Oh well, at least I finally decided.

EDIT: Okay, now I am going to have an impulse doll proper. Just saw a limited that perfectly fit something that I'd been wanting, but thought I would never see. And I only had two days to decide. Needless to say, I have a new doll incoming. This is why I told myself to avoid limiteds...

#32 iamkathybrown, May 29, 2017
      Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    13. Very rarely in my life is an impulse BJD going to be an option for me... I'm definitely more a careful planner/budgeter. But I had just gotten an unexpected chunk of money when I bought Pete and Billy together instead of just one or the other (their story was actually a huge rollercoaster, because right after I ordered them, I wound up suddenly needing that money for something else unexpected... but it all worked out in the end. Still... it does kind of scare me off of the impulse buy. If I ever did get a surprise chunk of money, I'd still want to go about ordering a doll very carefully. Sure there's stuff you can't plan for, but...)

14. Way too many. No regrets.

15. My first two were impulse buys, but I no longer have them. On the other hand, the oldest that I do still have was an impulse buy as well, and I'm never giving him up!

16. Hmm, most of my dolls are planned, as I really don't have the money for any extra dolls. Three of my dolls (one tiny, two petites) have been impulse buys aaaaaaaand I regret every one of them. Two of them I have sold already and the third I'm planning to, too. One might think that I've learned my lesson. ^^;

17. Right now, the 2 floating heads I have were both impulse buys. I'm happy with both purchases, though. Basically every doll I've ever bought except Kian (my only doll currently) and my first doll were impulse buys. I've sold all the others, though.

18. It would be easier to say who wasn't an impulse purchase in my collection, and that would be Pandora (dc lilly). That would make the amount of dolls I have purchased that were impulse buys 10. Only half of them are still in the house, and I still need to sell one. I'm a lot more reserved now a days, at least :sweat The cycle of falling in and out of love with a doll was just too vicious for me.

19. Currently, the only impulse-bought doll I own is my Lumedoll Blaze, Liam. I do not do well with impulse buys, and usually end up hating or resenting them even before they arrive home, and they usually end up getting sold ASAP. If I buy a doll and don't have plans and a character for it, it never goes well. Except for Liam, I've regretted every single impulse buy I've ever made.

20. My profile pic doll, Maddy, was a total impulse buy, and almost immediately became one of my favorites. I try to stay away from impulse dolls, but I don't regret getting her at all.