1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious, how many impulse dolls?

May 28, 2017

1. I guess it would depend on what you call an impulse doll.

For example, if someone asked me this question, I might immediately answer 1. The only doll I really purchased without staking for ages was my Dollshe Fashion Grant Philippe. I impulsively bought him after stalking the website until the very last day I could buy him under the opening discount.

I had no plan for this doll, no character for this doll, no idea what I would do with him. Now I have an idea, but I haven't started it yet.

After some thought, I might say my OrDoll Orlando, SoulDoll Yu, SOOM Romantic Dia heads were impulse, but I purchased them in an attempt to buy dolls with the particular facial features that I wanted, although I wasn't looking to buy those sculpts in particular.

Perhaps predictably, I may not sell the most of these heads. (I planned never to sell the Or-Doll Orlando, because I love the company, but now that I have my Anderl, the Orlando is free to leave.)

Otherwise, I plan my dolls obsessively. I try to purchase during event periods to discount the price or shipping. I wait until the last day of the ordering period (unless the doll is of limited production) so that I have the longest amount of time to think about the purchase. I'm a planner.

2. Sometimes I plan things out, often I don't. I think 3 of my current dolls are impulse buys? I haven't regretted any yet. :D

3. Sooo many impulse dolls. I regret three of the dolls I have just because I bought them after seeing really pretty promo pictures.

4. Got out of impulse buys years ago; I don't have the income for that kind of frivolity. Bit of planning goes a long way, you know?

5. Two of my dolls are what I would call impulse buys, my Dollzone Gray and my Doll Chateau Xaviera. Both times, I had no plans of buying a doll, but rather saving up for a much-needed body for my Abadon heads. Then these two dolls were released and I was like 'yeah, screw my plans, I need this thing now' because the moment I saw them, my imagination was triggered, especially in Gray's case.

6. I dont impulse buy and have thought of saving for a certain doll but unfortunately she became available at a good price because her urgently needed a new mommy for her.

7. Whelp... An addendum to my earlier post, 'cause I just made a total impulse purchase... :sweat I mean, I had wanted one for quite a while, but not in any kind of burning way. I figured I'd check the wesite randomly and what'dyou know! He's off-topic though, so it tooootally doesn't count. :thumbup

8. Jethro definitely was. I was browsing the market place looking for a specific Loongsoul Doll when I came across a different doll (same company) or only like 250 bucks or so. I can't remember the exact price but it was noticeably cheaper and jumped out at me so I check the page. Put him on a short lay away and then had him and I've loved him ever since. Arianna was somewhat of an impulse buy, too. She was in her fullset outfit at a doll meet with some friends. Honestly, she looked kind of ugly in her default faceup and outfit but after I took off her wig and everything (with permission; another friend bought her outfit) I ended up falling in love with her.

9. My soon to be new doll a Kaye Wiggs Miki Fawn

10. I actually end up selling most of my impulse buys. It's not that I don't like the sculpts, they just...don't often fit in with my plans.

Currently, I have one impulse buy - a VOLKS May. I found her while browsing Y!J and couldn't resist bidding. She has some minor damage/use due to her previous owner being a bit careless, but I think I can fix most of it up when I get a chance to do some work on her. For now, all of her imperfections are covered by clothing.

11. All of them :sweat which prolly explains the high turnover rate in this household haha

12. I have uh.. 2.. maybe 3

Okay, first one was an impulse because i'd just ordered my first bjd and was getting nervous about whether i'd made the right call blah blah blah. What to expect and all that, first doll jitters.
      I found a doll I liked the look of (same company) in a colour that appealed to me (fantasy skin tones baby) that i'd been watching on ebay had been relisted cheaper, so I clicked BIN lol.
      I didn't regret it though, she was pretty cheap and she eased my nerves about my incoming doll, she in fact made me even more excited to meet him.

Now, my second impulse was only a half impulse.
      After my first boy arrived and I got to know him I realised the doll i'd planned for another member of the group aesthetically just wasn't going to work, so I started to look for a different shell for the character. I was umming and ahhing and feeling a bit unsure about it all (I had no specific LOOK for this guy, just a rough concept of who he was and what role he played) I was up late one night and stumbled upon someone selling a doll on the marketplace. He was very low priced, he'd never had a faceup, he'd arrived just as they were leaving the hobby and been put in a box and forgotten.
      Now, i'm an absolute sucker for dolly sob stories like that, I feel so sorry for them like omg, I want to take home ALL the orphan dollies. Anyway, I saw him and it just clicked. THAT was the face sculpt for this character. I think it was his ears that got me, these big ol' jug ears just felt right.

And my final impulse, well, i'd been watching this doll on ebay and it didn't sell. So it was relisted for a fair bit less and I admit it, I had kinda... fallen for him. He was a sculpt i'd previously thought "Oh that's cool" but didn't WANT or NEED in my life, but the half finished faceup and body blushing he had which had apparently stained the doll was just perfect, something about that specific doll just really leapt out at me. So of course I bought him. Ahem.
      I regret nothing!

I'm generally a planner when it comes to bjds, but I also trust my gut. I have a good gut, it understands me well. I do tend to think about my purchases, especially if they're expensive ones (like more than £50) but if something is legit and a great price, it's hard not to be sorely tempted.
      Generally I make a deal with myself. If it's over £50 (and most bjds are) then I tell myself to do something else for a bit and if it's still there when I come back, then I can buy it.
      It gives me time to think. Just simple things like "unstack the dishwasher, go fold some laundry" and sometimes you come back and it's sold and you go "dang, wasn't meant to be" but then other times I come back and it's still there and the bargaining starts again. "I don't need it. I want it, it's still here, you promised yourself... can I afford it? nghh what will I do with it?" and so on.
      Even my "impulse" buys are justified to myself, it's the only way i can spend that kind of money on myself lol. I always need an excuse that's not just "because it's pretty!"
      But gosh it's hard.

13. So far I have two impulses that I own and one that I gifted as I never bonded with her. My planetdoll riz and Impldoll Abby I love though.

14. I've made... Quite a few impulse purchases... and by that I mean at least half of my dolly family... whoops.

My first impulse purchase would be my very first doll, my Dollzone Megi. I was at an animecon and the local dealer had a booth, I had money from my HS summer job that I had saved for merch... My Megi has outlasted all of my anime merch lmao.
      My most recent one would be the Paradise Skin Lusis/Sist set, I saw the news post, emailed on a whim, ended up with a gorgeous new gal.

I try to keep my impulse purchases to dolls within my wishlist-- But if I find a good deal and the doll speaks to me... I'm a sucker for what I perceive to be good deals, and pretty faces.:sweat The best way for me to avoid all these impulses is to avoid sales groups, secondhand shops & yja. I'm at the point where I need to slim down my group before I can expand again.

15. At least... two of my dolls were impulse buys. My DollZone Mini Shyo in particular.
      The other is my Doll Chateau Stacy.

I suppose it really is how you define an impulse buy because majority of my dolls can be considered impulse buys, since I only gave them personalities after I bought them/saw them.

16. I have a few dolls (heads mostly) that I classify as "impulse buys". Most of them I have simply come upon and they have spoken to me in some way or another. Generally I do like to plan doll purchases but I also like to be open to any doll finds that should come my way :)

17. There are many times where I feel like doing so but the dolls I love are mostly limited editions so I don't really have much chance to impulse buy. For now, only one of my 2 dolls are impulse buy cos he was on 40% sale and will be discontinued soon. But after playing with him for a while, I'm glad I'm liking him more and more :love

18. I'm a little ashamed to say I'm a compulsive impulse buyer...especially when it comes to ball-jointed dolls. If someone has a cure for this please tell me because it's not like I actually have money to spare to keep making mistakes like this.

My first impulse buy was a Littlefee Leah full package that I found on eBay. I overpaid by a whole lot and still regret that to this day. That might be why I am still not bonding with her although I find her so beautiful still. And that was just the start...I continued to impulse buy a Feeple60 Moe Miyu straight from Fairyland when they were first released. I just couldn't bond with the sculpt although I adore Miyu still. I ended up selling her OE and SP faceplates and her body is now being used by my Soony Elf event faceplate. I believe I'm currently in a good mindset concerning her. Let's hope that doesn't go south.

Then I gained access to the marketplace here on Den of Angels and that started a downward spiral. I bought a Littlefee Juri 2013 faceplate because I thought maybe I'd bond better with the Littlefee if she/he had a different faceplate. So far it's an improvement but I'm not there yet. Then I stumbled upon a beautiful tan Pukifee Luna which I impulse bought from another user. I do love her but I'm currently contemplating getting her a tan Realfee body just because something about the Pukifee body has started to bother me.

I recently also impulsed a Tiny Delf RS Alice (with clothing and a wig) from Luts itself just because I had a 'must have now' moment and the body seemed much more realistic than the Pukifee I currently own. She has yet to arrive.

The only non-impulse 'buy' I ever made was a Pukifee Ante in normal skin. It was a gift from someone dear to me and although I feel sad that her default face-up has freckles I still adore her and she will probably be the last one to go if I ever decide to leave the hobby. I assume mainly because she was a gift.

Currently I'm prowling for a tan Realfee body with Pukifee connector, a normal skin Realfee body with a Littlefee connector and an SD-sized boy that makes my heart race. Which, honestly, makes me facepalm myself.

After reading the previous lines I decided to downsize or stabilize my collection so somewhere in the coming weeks I'll be reviewing who goes and who stays. I really have to start drawing lines somewhere or this might go bad really fast. Good luck to all other impulse buyers out there.

19. I think I have one. It happened at a doll show and I had no plans to buy any dolls at all. I had always wanted that particular doll. I just didn't know it was available through a dealer. On the other hand, I suppose it depends on how impulse is defined. Because I do save for events with the idea that I might buy something even though I have no idea what it might be. Then, take a few days to mull it over.