1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious, how many impulse dolls?

May 28, 2017

1. I have bough 4 dolls impulsively last fall, and I have sold 3 out of 4 already :'D
      The 1 impulsive purchase that I have, is literally the best impulsive purchase ever. I love everything on her and she is absolutely beautiful! Sometimes they work, but 3/4 were still... meh :'D
      I should have done my research much better and with time, like I do 80% of the time. Because I found more suitable dolls for the characters that I had in mind few months later. But now I'm smarter and take my time considering new purchases before buying. Saves money and my nerves when I do that xD

2. I own 11 dolls, 8 of them were impulse purchases. 3 of them were grails, which happened to be available for a limited period.
      There was one more impulse purchase, which I've sold along with 5 planned ones.

And no regrets :XD: except for an empty wallet.

3. I've around 3 impulse buys. Two of them are SD dolls which I thought I'd never get (I don't like big dolls that much).

4. Yes and no. Impldoll Nicolas took about...a half minute to sneak into my heart. But it took 2 years for him to arrive.

5. (EDIT to completely change my answer as I've realised that my first doll wasn't really a impulse buy :sweat )

I've bought a couple of dolls as impulse buys.
      The first was my first Yosd, I had no intention of buying a tiny beforehand. He's a DollZone Daomiao - I'd seen him and liked him but as he was an event doll originally I didn't think I would be able to get one. A few months later a couple showed up in stock on a dealers site and I bought him right there and then. He arrived a couple of days later and I had nothing for him :sweat My only regret is he didn't have a faceup (still doesn't - and I don't know when I'll get around to having it done :S )

The other one was my Doll Leaves Jeremy - I'd previously been interested in the sculpt but he wasn't currently on my wishlist, however one showed up in stock and I was able to afford him so I got him after a few hours of thinking it over. I got him in September 2019 (I'm writing this in May 2020) and I only just bought a wig for him (he's been wearing a temporary ill fitting faux fur wig since I got him).

I also bought some DollZone dolls last year during their discontinuation event on a bit of a whim - they were dolls I'd liked but wasn't really planning on buying, but when I saw them being discontinued I thought "why not" and put them on a long layaway. I'm still waiting for them (it's been over a year :...(). They are the ones I'm most scared of coming to regret.

#65 TheSecretRoman, Jun 1, 2017
      Last edited: May 6, 2020
    6. All thirteen dolls were impulse bought and one was given to me, and they still are boxed, never opened. I really need to take my credit card off of the computer and stop buying these dolls.

7. Of my five on-topic dolls, only two were planned. Johnny and Chloe were both thought out months in advance. They had clothes, shoes, and a wig ready to go when they got here, and it worked out quite well.

Alistair, Guinevere, and Johanna were impulse buys. All three of them were/are limited sculpts that were available secondhand for a fair price and I just fell in love. I threw together characters for each of them in a matter of hours and placed the orders. It worked out well for all three; Alistair can wear Johnny's clothes so I didn't have to pay a ton of money for a new wardrobe. Guinevere and Johanna did require new clothes since they would've drowned in Johnny's fairly roomy garb, but that was easy to rectify since they're both Minifee girls and Etsy is full of things for Minifee girls. The only snag is that Guinevere doesn't have a full personality yet. While Alistair and Johanna have very well-defined personalities, Guinevere is a little half-baked. I'm working to fix that though.

8. Three out of five of my dolls has been impulse buys. Two I've bonded with really well but my third I thought I could bond with after he got a new face up but I just can't seem to connect with him.... He was bought mostly cause my hubby said I could get a new doll but I had to stay within a price range. I don't really want to sell him but I just can't seem to find anything that works :( He's also super floppy and his faceup got a nasty chip (his head was also stolen during the exchange so that was pretty traumatic but it was replaced by the artist because he'd been stolen at her work place but that's a whole other thing) shortly after getting him back.

9. I made three impulse purchase : my Okaeri, a Smart Doll and last week a Darak Remy.

10. I have only one impulse buy. Usually, I plan lots, see lots of sculpts, save money. But this one was crazy different.

I already had two SDs home, and never wanted a tiny one. But I went to a mini-meeting with the SD girl I had then, so I could take pictures with the doll of a friend. The characters were starting to date. Another friend had a Lati Yellow there, I was absolutely amazed with the pretty little thing. The friend and I quickly thought: "what if they have a kid in the future?". When I was back home, I see this cute Lati Yellow for sale, and she looked kinda like the doll that would be her dad. It was a good deal, I had the money at the moment, I bought it. No regrets at all. Love the baby :XD:

11. Technically, I just made one. I've been wanting to shell my character Hideyasu as a Luts Taffy for ages, but when I sat down to budget it, I realised I hadn't really gone through all my options - the Taffy was just the first one I saw. So today I looked around, and bought a Doll Love EnEn for the character... the same day that I saw it. Fortunately, I was well within budget!

I don't think I'll ever be in a position to make such a purchase again.

12. I came quite close to impulse buying a doll of the marketplace about a month ago, but decided against it. I have a very tight budget so that helps to prevent impulse buys, haha. It took me about a year to save up for my first doll and I'm still recovering from the hole he made in my bank account. (If any of you have troubles impulse spending, maybe you could impulse wire me money instead?!? That's a joke.)

13. luckily only one and that was my Hujoo FREYA, it was only 20 dollars. It sat around for about 2 years before I did anything with it. However I am glad I got it after I found a use for it.

14. hahaha.. Never! I always use so much time that I have missed a couple of my grails, because I'm so slow.. :...( Always so darn careful when it comes to spend hundreds of dollars. And I get really stressed out if a beautiful doll appears on the second market for sale, because I know I'll need to hurry up if I want to grab her.. I've lost some very nice opportunities due to this. :...(
      And I've also timed out on special events from dollmakers, with limited dolls and items, several times.. I'm just not built for taking swift decisions

15. My Volks F-09 boy and Soom Glati were both impulse buys! I've had them both for quite a while, though I'm at the point in my hobby career where I don't know if I'll keep them. I also have an impulse-buy Pullip who's still in pieces, poor thing.

16. I will estimate that less than half my dolls are impulse buys. Generally I consider for a long time before I buy. But when a limited comes out that I know I want, I don't have the choice to wait. Luckily that doesn't happen often.

I buy a lot on the secondhand marketplace here, and sometimes I watch a doll for weeks or even months before I buy. But I have never been disappointed in them after that long consideration. The ones I AM disappointed in are the ones I bought on impulse, and I have sold on almost all of those!

Linda S.
      galatia9

17. Pretty much all my impulse buy dolls have been sold/are being sold because I can't seem to bond with them. :C
      My first was an SD/young adult version of my first doll. But it turns out I don't like SDs very much. Then my second impulse was an Island Doll Anan, and as much as I love her and I loved building a tiny room diorama with a whole bunch of furniture, we just didn't bond.
      And it's really sad, honestly. But probably a good sign I should sit on a doll for a while before deciding to purchase them.

That being said, I did just buy another impulse doll. Though less so because I haaaave been wanting a girl for a while, and was looking at Minifees for a bit. But once I looked at a Resinsoul Mei and what people have done for her faceups, I kinda knew to go for her instead.

So I'm really hoping, with the mood I've been in lately, she'll bond with me well this time.
      I also seem to have a pattern of bonding and not bonding

My first doll? Bonded
      Second? Nope.
      Third? Bonded
      Fourth? Nope, again.

So we're on the 5th try now, so if patterns are correct, I shooooulld bond with her this time. Only time and effort will tell, lol.

18. I currently own 4 dolls in total.
      The first one was planned, the second was an impulse purchase, few days after ordering my first (just fell in love with her) :sweat
      The third was also an impulse purchase because the order period was rare and didn't last long, so I was forced to make a decision. My fourth was planned again :) I tend to plan my dolls, because I get a bad conscience when I make impulse purchases.
      My fifth doll is also planned and ordered, since this month. But shortly before I ordered her, I stumbled upon another doll I hadn't planned to buy - but ordered her also this month :roll: And, at the end, I also just ordered a head which will be discontinued after the current order period :sigh so it was a question of now or never...
      I'm thankfully not getting into financial trouble because (you'll laugh!) I just changed my current tattoo plans - after getting my third tattoo last month I was reminded how painful it is and considered the fourth can wait some more month....or years.... :XD: So I can use my tattoo savings for the dolls now.

If I'm lucky (or unlucky, depends on perception) I also have to impulse purchase another doll shortly, because it's also a rare doll and not often to get...But after that I'll take a break again in buying dolls. I'll be busy enough to finish each doll then (buying wigs, eyes, clothes, etc). :sweat

19. I literally just bought a head on impulse. I was looking for another doll, Aslan from Soom, but instead came across Narmer head and just... snatched him up!! I would still want an aslan but I do not regret narmer even though he was never really planned!!

20. A majority of my dolls have been impulse buys, most of which I ended up selling or giving away. But the one that stuck with me was a DiM Larina I snatched up during their first discontinuation event. I had been looking at another doll and Larina just jumped out at me.
      Now he's probably my favorite doll I own