1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious, how many impulse dolls?

May 28, 2017

1. I did have an impulse buy recently, my Lillycat Chibbi Moon, but I really adore this doll and now I’m interested in getting other dolls in this size. Before this impulse buy I would have assumed the size would be too small.

2. I'm very impulsive at times, and have several impulse dolls... almost had another one within the past week, lol. Once I decide I want a doll, it's almost impossible for me to wait for her to arrive, much less to save up for her. I always worry that the shop will sell out, or the seller will find another buyer before I can come up with the money. I get that 'heart-tugging' feeling, and I'm stuck.

3. Four of my six were impulse buys, in that I hadn't decided ahead of time exactly what doll I was going to get. Two of those were semi-impulse, in that I was looking for a doll of type and a good candidate came up for sale. The other two were entirely impulse (she's so cute! an Iplehouse doll with COA for *that* price??). Now that I have a nice family, and I have one last doll that I plan to order from the company, I've stopped looking at auction listings daily :thumbup (Just sometimes, when I have time-limited points and my dolls want new shoes lol)

4. Zero so far lol

They’re too expensive to buy on impulse. At least for me lol. The only doll I might buy immediately would be a fairyland centaur because I’ve been saving for one. I don’t that qualifies as an impulse however.

5. I definitely have a couple of dolls that I initially really wanted and bought without thinking too much and later realised they're just not for me. I'm trying to be more careful about my purchases but it is always hard to figure out if I really want a doll and will keep them or if I just want them in that current moment!

6. I think all my dolls are impulse kinda. After I see one I like I start browsing for more pictures of it and buy it probably the next day if I really love it. Bonus points/speed for in stock dollies too. Like my feeple60 cygne I looked at fairlyland and saw her sculpt thinking she was so pretty then not long after saw Denver doll had her in stock with long legs and thought it was fate. I waited maybe a day to buy her lol but I love her.

7. I currently have two impulse buys and four planned buys. When I found out that Fairyland put out dolls (without much warning), I quickly put in orders for Rens and Hwayu because I figured they'd sell out fast. I felt like I regretted buying them when they were processing/shipping but I didn't regret getting Rens once I got her in hand. Hoping for the same feeling when Hwayu comes in!

8. I always think it through before I purchase the dolls just because I’m really picky about sculpts, but I cannot even count how many impulse doll clothes and furniture I have bought out of pure impulse!!! And regret pretty much right as it ships and it’s too late to change my mind it’s just too easy to purchase little things out of impulse when you first see it.

9. I've purchased or traded a few dolls as impulse buys. My first doll was an impulse buy. She was a Hujoo Sara and she was on sale. Before then I'd always admired the hobby from a distance and I wasn't sure if I'd really like it; so I didn't want to spend too much. I'm so glad I purchased her. After that I bought a DC Katherine, which I traded for a Momonita (also impulsively ). I bought my DC Andre on a whim too. After that it was a Minifee event head that I justified to myself by saying it was a reshell. I've almost purchased a few others too.

Writing it all out like this makes me realize how often I spend or trade without thinking too much about it.

10. Update: I picked up another DC Zenobia. She was just too good of a deal. Another impulse buy

11. I actually don't know if my first is considered an impulse buy. I've been wanting a doll since forever(12 years ago) but didnt do a lot of homework other than just browsing for a face I liked once in a while.

Then I chanced upon Ringdoll while helping a friend order a wwx, saw the Raven doll and PIF after...2 days. X'D

Why does resin have this effect. Why.

12. Over half of my dolls were impulse buys.... Truly I only have three dolls, but two were impulse buys. The next one won't be.... I think. I honestly just see secondhand dolls with low prices and cute faces and go insane XD

13. I have a problem with impulse floating heads lately lol.

And although I don't usually go for small dolls, I went for a Lumu. My reasoning was "I hate sewing for tinies. Mermaids are naked!"

14. Almost all of my dolls have been impulse purchases. I even bought one last night (she is going to be a Christmas present).

One of them, I really dislike now that I have it. The other I absolutely love and the other I want another of (to shell the character I dislike).

15. I was really bad in the impulse purchases before. I would buy especially heads, but then did not even have a plan to get a body for them (thankfully no floating heads in this house now). Also sales and cheap second hand dolls made me weak. Now I am a bit better, but I still would consider myself little bit of a impulse buyer. If I see a mold I have liked for a long time I would consider buying if there is a good deal - even though I would not have characters etc. I do not consider most of my purchases for a long time - I do have a wishlist - but I also buy dolls out of that list. I would saw all of my dolls are somewhat impulse purchases. :lol:

16. I feel like at least a few of my floating heads are impulse buys. But I am happy that I picked them up because they are discontinued sculpts. I had one full doll that I impulse bought and really regretted. I sold him not too long ago so that I could preorder something I have been waiting for. I guess I thought I had to have him but it was a big mistake on my part. Unless it’s a floating head I may never see again I generally like to think it through and do some research before making a purchase.

#136 ArcaneKnight, Sep 14, 2019
      Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    17. I have only one, who I love to death and so happy I snagged him! Granted the downside is that because I grabbed him on an impulse, I have no idea what kind of character to make him into since I had no plan going it to it. I try to stray away from impulse buying though since these dolls are expensive though, even though one of the going to be discontinued DZ boys is calling me..

18. My first doll was totally an impulse. I didn't know what I wanted to do with her or where I was going to even display her but she was so pretty I couldn't help it lol

19. I'm pretty sure 90% of my doll purchases are just impulse :lol:
      My first arrival was an impulse buy because I got annoyed waiting for my 3 doll pre-orders.
      My second arrival was also an impulse buy because she was cute and cheap and also my first arrival needed a friend... while I wait for the other 3 pre-ordered dolls to arrive still :lol:
      Oh and I impulse bought an event faceplate, and a loppi-moon

I'm apparently not very good with planning I just like to buy things

20. (I'm kind of ashamed to say this but...)

ALL of my dolls are impulse buys and while they didn't all work out I don't regret getting any of them. They've made me richer in experience and helped me become the 'collector' I am today. I'm hesitant to call myself a collector because I have no need to own more than one doll but since I'm fickle and love to have variation it's safer to have a few dolls around so I can switch between them once in a while so I don't get the impulse to buy more. It doesn't always hold me back from impulse buying more though.

I adore second-hand dolls and I often pick those over brand new ones if I can. Being an impulse buyer has its benefits in the second-hand market because overthinking it can often make you lose out on that one special doll that you only realize you really wanted after someone else already snagged it.

The downside of being an impulse buyer is that I have to go through dolly purges every 5 years or so. It hurts selling a doll, even if I know I'm not doing anything with them and that they're not for me. It comforts me a little to know that they'll be getting a home where they will get more attention though.

To be honest even being an impulse buyer I barely own more dolls than the average BJD enthusiast here because I do mind my budget and I never spend money I don't have. No lay-away, no loans, nothing. Either I have the money to 'spare' or I don't buy the doll, no matter what I'll be missing out on.