1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious, how many impulse dolls?

May 28, 2017

1. Almost every one of my dolls is planned but I have racked up a couple of impulses. Julian's Floyer head was originally an impulse buy. My Fashion size Grant Phillippe was a massive impulse, and I recently purchased a Studio Naiko Duke head and the new skeletal bust/stand from dolly planet.
      I don't tend to impulse buy full dolls mainly because of price tag, I really need to save for those.

2. I had an impulse purchase a few years ago and started regretting it soon after I made the payment. The doll was beautiful but I couldn't bond with her and had to sell her.

3. My second doll was an impulse purchase off the Marketplace. I saw his face and immediately fell in love! Not one bit of regret thus far. Don't tell anyone, but he's actually my favorite...

I also entered the lottery for the Volks SDGr Mana-sama doll. If I win (emails are supposed to be out today, but I'm still in purgatory! Gah!) she'll be my second impulse buy. But really! Can you blame me, lol?

4. I would say that all my dolls are impulse dolls. If I'm attracted to a doll and I don't buy it fairly quickly, I probably won't get it at all.
      I've never had a so-called "grail", and most of my purchases have been satisfactory. But my tastes have changed over time so I have sold a few.

5. Hmm. Most of my current collection of six dolls (plus 4 waiting) are, which is kind of absurd; I have actually ended up selling 2 of the dolls that I bought after a long consideration, but none of the impulse ones.

My both Venitus are impulse purchases, but not in a way like I just saw the sculpt and ordered next day; I discovered them a year before ordering the first one and they were my grail, I just happened to come across both the sales suddenly and had to decide fast not to miss out (first one was BJDdivas last re-release and second one was second hand.)

My IH Scarlet was long considered, and somehow she is the least favourite of all my dolls now. Then I have two Phoenix Dolls heads which I discovered 2am one night and ordered right away, and both have stuck with me. So I do all three, planning carefully, impulse buying a before unknown sculpt and impulse buying a sculpt that I have had on mind and that is listed for sale suddenly.

6. Pretty much all of my dolls (2 at home and 2 on the way) were impulse buys. If I had thought about it for more time than it took me to instantly fall in love then I would have talked myself out of buying all of them just because of the price. I trust my instincts and so far they’ve been dead on! I love my little collection so far and I can’t wait to add to it in the future!

7. Mm...I think two, maybe three.
      When I bought my Impldolls, they were having a sale and I had been eyeballing them. So I didn't pause and ordered them. There was also my Feeple60s. Both of them were ones I fell in love with right away and sent a message before I really considered them. Oddly enough, they're two of my favorites. My Adamelli was kind of too...I couldn't ignore that face; she was too cute to pass up.

I have a problem.

8. Almost all of them I would consider impulse buys, simply due to the fact that most of them are limited edition and were only available for a brief period of time. In most cases, I didn't have months or years to plan the purchase, it was either buy now or risk paying more or hunting later for it if I ended up wanting it.

9. All the time, I worry if I don’t quickly buy it it will go, (most of the time my dolls are second hand)

10. one, i ordered a luts coco after seeing luts dolls at a show last spring.

11. Probably about a third of my collection is impulse buys. And honestly, a lot of my favorites are impulse buys— dolls I would never sell in 100 years. :D

12. About half of my dolls are semi-impulse buys. I don't buy a doll on the spot, but I do end up buying unplanned dolls sometimes because I just fall for them. However, I always wait and put a watch on a thread for a few days before going for it.
      The big problem for me is that I love the less expensive dolls - it's easier to go for a $100-$150 doll than a $900 one. LOL!!

The only time I really do hit 'buy' (or 'contact me about this sale' on the MP) without thinking about it is if it's a doll I've been looking for for years... I wouldn't really call that an 'impulse'.

13. I can admittedly say I've only had one real impulse buy. Most of my crew is made up of planned out character shells, and the one impulse one came from me seeing a bjd made by the same company at a local meet and falling in love with it. The company in question is Dearmine, and the sculpt I ended up getting for myself was their their cute catgirl, Angela.

I haven't done anything with her yet though. She still sitting patiently, blank in her original box. I've got a pretty extensive plan for her, to make her the catgirl persona of my cat, Pacifica. That process is going to involve doing a gray dye-job, creating various tortie patches, and making a wig and adding whiskers to her to make her look the part. :kitty2

14. I have one impulse buy head by Phoenix dolls that happened after missing out on LLT grail dolls. I'll get her soon, and I'm glad that I purchased her as there's only one left. I didn't impulse buy LLT Edria and Neil and Lazui and could have purchased Edria and Neil's heads but I spent too much time thinking about it and then they were gone. Julia is one of my favorite sculptors now after months of research and staring at so many doll faces. I think being new I was afraid to pull the trigger. Now I have a better sense of what I love and am not afraid to get a head if I think I'll like it. Even if it is an impulse buy.

15. I have been in the hobby for eleven years, I have carefully rationed myself to one doll a year, until yesterday...I saw the perfect companion for one of my other dolls and pressed the buy button SO FAST!

16. Goodness at least one every 2 months I think

17. So far I haven't bought a BJD on impulse. Mine have been pretty well thought out and I tend to wait quite a while before ordering, even if they're limited. However, I do collect other non-BJD things and have definitely impulse bought on many occasions! :XD:

18. I'm a terrible impulse-buyer, probably all of my dolls are more or less impulse buys. -_- I even have one doll on the way that I gave maybe two minutes of consideration before deciding to buy it (at least it was relatively cheap off second hand market, haha).
      Granted, most of those dolls have been on my wishlist for a longer time so I've been somewhat dedicated to getting them at some point, and sometimes I've just had to wait for a preorder to open (Pygmalion Ha) or find something on the second hand market (F60 Shushu and a bunch of old MNF and Supia 60 cm bodies).
      The Supia 65 cm body was probably the only one I considered longer, rather than just punching the "buy" button immediately.

Tei and Lishe heads were the worst ones, literally zero thinking before buying. No regrets, though!

Thankfully I only buy dolls for aesthetics so I can't really go wrong with my purchases, since I don't have to worry about the doll fitting a certain character or not. Also thankfully I still take my financial situation into account before any purchases, so I have very little chance of going broke because of ill-advised doll hoarding, haha.

19. Only two of my dolls have been impulse buys; one of which was an Obitsu girl I sold within a month, and the other is a Minifee Momo that I absolutely adore. I’ve had a couple of dolls I’ve had a soul-tugging feeling for, but I’m also one who feels the need to meticulously plan out a character for them first, so for the most part I’ve been pretty good at holding off on impulse buys. However, if the doll was limited and every time I looked at it I felt that I absolutely needed it, I’d consider buying it without planning.

20. It's weird cuz most of mine are both impulse and not? They'll be dolls I've been looking for and wanting and if I have the money and see one for sale I'll jump on it asap. My first doll (DC Madeline) was very much an impulse since the person selling her was asking under $200 and I actually had the money lol. Tbh I think my only doll that wasn't an impulse buy and I actively was searching for was my DC Xaviera? The others were just ones I'd been passively looking for and jumped at the opportunity