1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Curious, how many impulse dolls?

May 28, 2017

1. Most recent impulse doll was the brown skin DZ Neruga that I bought off of a wonderful member here. All of my current peakswoods purchases have been impulse. And a couple I have run across on the marketplace could be considered impulse... But most of the time I sit back and try to make a budget of what I am allowed to spend.

2. My first two were impulse buys. My second two I thought a bout a little bit and worked out how to pay for them (mostly because I'm still paying off the other two I charged:doh).
      They all make me happy and I don't regret picking up the debt. Just means everyone getting homemade gifts this year(thank goodness I can sew and cook).

3. 2 for me. The first one was definitely an impulse buy as it was one of my grail so I didn't give it a second thought. Luckily, I had the funds to buy it without a layaway. The second one was a limited sculpt and I missed the last preorder, but I asked the artist if they had one in stock and took it.

4. My first doll, an Unoa lusis, was an impulse buy. I had been thinking about getting a BJD for a while but I initially wanted an SD. However, when I saw her on eBay, for a very reasonable price due to yellowing and some more serious damages, I thought it would be fun to experiment things on a smaller doll first. She turned out to be the doll I'm the most proud of!

5. 2
      Gina from Myou was a total impulse purchase. I ordered her 15 min after first saw the picture online (there was a discount about to end, so you know...). Already regretted. Not because she isn't beautiful, but I have never had a 1/6 azone/ob27 size BJD before so finding wigs and clothes for her is just painful.
      Mermaid from Soom was a semi-impulse buy. I have been looking for a perfect boy in MSD size. Search it for months then suddenly came across it on a trade-in wedsite. The sculpture, face-up, skin tone were just perfect even though I have never considered this brand before. I paid immediately because it was very popular (I guess the time limit affects impulse decision a lot)

6. I think most of my dolls all have a bit of impulse. Of course I always plan and save my money, exceptionally when I have a character in mind that I want to find in doll form. Most of the time I look at second hand markets like Facebook. That market always requires a bit of impulse as things come and go pretty quickly. If the doll looks pretty and its in the right price range its for me. I very rarely plan characters for dolls in advance. :)

7. Right now I have a Doll Leaves Berg ordered and a Fairyland Littlefee Cygne on layaway...they were both impulse purchases, to an extent. I saw Berg and he somehow instantly became a grail doll, and I ordered him I think the next day. And then I saw that Fairyland was having an event, looked into it, and saw little Cygne, and it was the same thing, but I ordered her with even more urgency because I simply had to have her fullset with all the bells and whistles and get the event faceplate. Luckily I don't regret either purchase, but I'm having to be extra careful with my finances lately as I've kind of blown all my 'fun money' for a good while.
      That being said, I certainly wouldn't recommend impulse purchases in this hobby even if one can afford it (like I currently can). Financial situations can always change, and one should learn good saving and spending habits before they need them.

8. More than half of my collection was "impulse" purchases from the secondhand market. Many of the dolls were dolls I didn't even consider buying until I saw them for sale at a discount. Many times, I've ended up liking the secondhand dolls MORE than my planned purchases of sculpts I actually wanted for a long time. Every single impulse purchase I've ordered secondhand I've loved after I received it and dressed it how I wanted. I guess I'm pretty strange!

9. I have had a few, some I have come to regret and others that I absolutely love and adore.

10. My Distant Memory (Esthy) Peroth head was an impulse buy. He was released, for the first time, back in 2007 and it was a get him now, or never kind of moment. To be honest, I didn't like the experience even if I love the doll.
      Splurging so much money on a whim doesn't suit me :sweat. I have this rule that I always plan ahead for a purchase, I save up all the money I need, plus extra for my emergency fund, so I'm absolutely sure I can do without the money even if something unexpected happens.

In the case of this Peroth, though, I didn't and waiting until the head was shipped to me was the worst wait ever, with me constantly hoping no emergency would hit me in the mean time. I wouldn't recommend it :XD: and I think it speaks for itself that this was the last impulse buy I've ever made.

11. I feel like all of my dolls are impulsive. I always buy them second hand and have to jump on those opportunities when I can :)

12. I bought my first secondhand doll on Instagram, and she was deefinitely an impulse buy XD I wasn't even planning on buying a doll, but I was really happy already (to be fair, I may or may not have been having a manic episode which explains a lot) and I had the funds, so I just messaged and bought her right away!

13. I’ve had 3 impulse buys. The first was the Dollzone Anson in my avatar and signature. When I first laid eyes on her, I was utterly devastated at the mere thought of missing out on her and ordered her within seconds! It’s a good thing because they suddenly discontinued her within 3 months. She is still, all these years later, my absolute favorite doll. The other two were dolls released by Luts during their last two Winter events. Both were simply too perfect for my pre-conceived characters, so I just had to go for them...thank goodness for FF&D’s generous layaways!

14. I have an extremely meticulous list of dolls I want, but I do have impulse buys. My first doll was kind of an impulse, but I had the cash to buy her and I was desperate to get into the hobby. My second doll wasn't originally an impulse-- I had a plan but when the body came, I changed my mind about bought a different head than what I planned! My third is still on layaway, and he was very planned for because he was a preorder. My fourth was an impulse, but she's a Christmas gift! DiM is shutting down, so when I saw the half-closed eyes Larina in stock I snatched her up and put a Loongsoul body on layaway for her.

So my impulse buys are very dependent on how limited a doll is or if the company is going out of business, or if there's a gorgeous head for sale on the marketplace that I didn't even know I wanted...

15. All of the dolls that I bought early in the hobby were impulse purchases. Since then I've learned to take a breath and think hard about how much I actually love the doll - or if the feeling is merely an initial, starry-eyed love at first sight that will fade over time. There were at least half a dozen limited fullsets that I fell for and ultimately passed on during just this year alone, and I'm glad in retrospect that I did.

Truthfully, I ended up selling more of my impulse dolls than the ones I kept...so yeah, I just don't do that spur of the moment thing at all anymore. (It sucks being a grownup. :XD:)

16. Personally I hate myself being impulsive! When I was a beginner and younger I bought some dolls and stuff I didn’t need! Wasted money and time. I like to plan everything now!

#176 Kananshii, Dec 9, 2019
      Last edited: May 15, 2021
    17. My last doll I brought, Hidden Island No.1, was definitely an impulse buy.
      I TRY to plan things out but sometimes it doesn't go that way especially if I see something on the second hand market I'm interested in, I'm more impulsive then XD.
      If I order from a company I usually spend more time deciding / planning as I know I can order them when I'm finished brainstorming and full decided on what I want.

18. All my dolls are impulse-buy purchases. If I like how the sculpt looks, I buy it. :horror:

19. I have... 8 impulse buy dolls.
      It`s always a 50/50 chance if I like them. Some of the impulse buys are now my favorites

20. Oof. Almost all my dolls except my newest one that's coming in were impulse. I have 4 soom petit gems right now that were all "Ooh, shiny!" I recently purchased the new Rudy with the moose antlers and even he was half way impulse... I knew he was coming out but I didnt save any money and I blew the extra saving I had that was supposed to be for my tires... lol oh well