1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

dark spots on the corner of lips?

Aug 9, 2008

1. That's very true. While the dots may play some role in a more stylistic aesthetic to painting faces, they have also shown up on otherwise naturalistic face ups. I have seen these dots on natural-looking faceups, and must say that up close, they look quite out of place. Yet, from far away, I've found that they often blend with the line of the mouth and rend a unique and lifelike expression to the doll that would otherwise not be given. In these cases, the dots are just outside of the crease of the lips and, joining with the shadow between the lips, draw the line of the mouth downwards or upwards. Though this same effect can be given more subtly (not via symmetrical blobs), perhaps it has become a sort of conventional device for doll painting with some faceup artists?

*shrugs*
      I think I generally refrain from using them in faceups for the practical reason that they are a buggar to clean out of the corners of the mouth when removing a faceup. Much easier to clean off the more subtly-painted lip work. lol

2. How funny ^^ I was having a rant about this to hubby just the other day.

Not a fan. I like shadows to be tonal. To me dark spots at the corners of the mouth in a contrast colour looks just like that, spots.

3. i think it would look alot better if the dots matched the color of the lips, but even then i would leave them off my dolls

4. i agree. i guess people are saying it more natural looking, but if thats so how come so many people are confused by it and dont know what it is?

5. I don't think I've ever seen these - Anyone link to an example photo?

6. It's not a very good picture because it's quite far away and the colour is a bit washed out:

[​IMG]

They were very pronounced in person - dark brown blobs. I hated them so much I had to wipe his entire beautiful default faceup. The would've looked alright if they were a couple of tones lighter, as it was they looked weird up close and gave him a frowny expression I didn't want.

I tried to remove just the blobs to preserve the faceup, but they were too far from the natural lip line and I got pronounced ridges.

7. i like the dark spots there, i think they're cute :)

8. this is one of the pictures that isnt so bad, i think they make them worse on the tiny dolls cuz it seems they are much larger and darker

9. my friend said this to me and i pointed at my own face and yes indeed those black dots are there in real life

and duh obviously dolls dont have real mouth that go deep so that kind of shadows cant create itself it has to be painted on

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/images/photo-effects/photo-fill/main-cropped.jpg

look up all sorts of picturs and you will see people dont have spots the same colour as their lips their...tbh thatd look really stupid

people are confused because they dont look at a human face when trying to answer the question of what they are

10. yeah we have tiny barley noticable shadows though

and i dont think it would look weird having them about the same color as the lips, maybe a shade or two darker, i mean when you look at people you dont see pitch black huge spots on their mouths

obviously we have offended you though, sorry about that, just voicing our oppinions some like those spots and others dont

11. nope you havent offended me, i dont think id get offended over dark spots lol. i just sai the obviously part because that feels a bit obvious to me when people are saying why do they need to be painted on. it seems sometimes people forget dolls faces are just flat

well yes if it was a shade darker thatd look ok. i thought you meant the same colour which would defeat the point

i do think the HUGE ones look stupid. like what LUTs often do with kid delf cherry looks really odd...

it depends on your face shape. i have quite large lips so i do have quite black shades under them. other people dont

EDIT: infact luts is a good one to use as an example cause if you look at aru her 'spots' are just a shade darker and they look ok. but lol i think they make cherry look most strange...

12. oh ok good, it just seemed like you got offended, yeah thats true it does depend on the person and their lips, and ya i think i did say the same color the first time, but i ment close to the same just a bit darker, lol if it was the exact same they might look a bit like clowns:)

13. if i dont come back.... its cuz i just broke the computer desk and my step dad murdered me! :(

14. This is true... they do add an expression to the mouth, tiny upturned lines make the mouth look happier, tiny downturned ones make them look sad or angry (depending on the eyebrows)

I think when people want extra expression, they are very useful tools, and can look great.

And I also think they can look really bad or unecessary.

For me, it's a faceup-by-faceup kind of thing.

15. Aw, I like those spots. Like anything else, though, it has to be well done.

16. It really depends on the doll. Three of my dolls have them. I like it on two and I hate it on the third.

My Cristal has really subtle ones the color of her lips. They're hardly noticeable but they add a little dimension to her lips.

My Tae has black lines at the corners. They're darker and larger than the ones on my Cristal, but they still work with her lips. It's probably because her lips are really dark to begin with.

And then there's my Snow-White Yuh. I detest this faceup, and one of the big reasons is because of those stupid-looking lines on the corners of her mouth. Yuh just isn't a smiley doll, and the upturned lines look ridiculous. I can't wait until I can get her a new faceup.

17. I agree with the statement that I do not like the lip spots, thus far I have bught ll my dolls without face-up so I'm lucky not to have any spotty lips

18. My boy has tiny dark spots at the corners of his lips. I quite like it.

19. your second doll is probably the only doll ive seen with it that is barely noticable and very cute, not saying i havnt seen any cute dolls with the spots i just havnt seen any dolls with the spots that i would buy without wanting to remove these spots

20. I don't care for the spots and take them off if a doll arrives with them. I use either a tiny paintbrush with Windsor and Newton brush cleaner on it or a wooden toothpick with a tiny bit of cotton wrapped around it. I love blush to emphasize the sculpting but not the exaggerated dark spots.