1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

dark spots on the corner of lips?

Aug 9, 2008

1. It has to look natural in my appinion, to look nice, but I tend to use a bit darker color in the corners of the mouth myself. But I think it's a question of taste. ^^

2. I don't mind the spots or lines in the corners of the mouth as long as they aren't too dark or anything. I like them to appear natural and I do think they can add a nice definition to a doll but only if done right. If its too much or too dark then sometimes it ends up looking like a child with a choccy bar.

3. I've seen darker lips with the shading in the crease, or at the corners, and when the tonal values are similar, or the brush lines are really thin, it's fine. I really don't like it when the lips are super pale, and there are only a pair of great dollops of tar in the corners. It seems like some people are painting who don't realize WHAT the darker areas are supposed to represent. Or whether they're actually needed. It's just done by rote.

There are also lip creases done so thickly, and then covered with layers of gloss, that make it look like the poor doll has a saliva problem.

4. At first I hated them but with one of my dolls who has them, she looks amazing in photos. And after a while I stopped noticing them.

5. I personally don't like when the "dark spots" are added to a face up. It just makes it look a bit unnatural (especially if they are kind of pronounced) and it reminds me of when people have food or something on thier face.... It wouldn't be that bad if the color fit the lips or skin tone a bit more... But hey, that's just my opinion.

6. Ahahaha! I remember when this used to mystify me... like blonde lashes with black eyeliner. Now I just see it as part of what distinguishes a bjd from an ordinary doll.

Raven

7. A few of my dolls seem to have them, but...they seem like a continuation of the lipline. I think when kept subtle, they really add. My favorite example is my Syo, painted by Cherrystreet. Because of them, it gives him a different expression than most and I love it.

[​IMG]

I agree that on some of those Luts Defaults it can get really carried away.

8. I'm rather fond of the "black spots!" I paint them personally. I hate the big, dark blobs that are thicker than the edge of the lips and very noticeable, of course, but I like the subtle little lines with the tiniest curvature around the edge. It can make a very subtle little smile or smirk possible, or even make a very smiley sculpt more serious. You'd be surprised at how expressive lips are, and how much they can change with a slight line!

9. I actually thought they were holes at first, like a doll that my friend has. (I think it's a Luts)

My Anette has that, so just a warning, if you don't like it, don't order a face-up from Angel of Dream. Here's image.
      [​IMG]

10. I think it depends on the way it's done and they can be done nicely.

11. My Afra has a default faceup, and he has the darker line between the lips. I love it personally, but I think it might look odd on a different faceup. For the style, I think it works well~!

12. The spots are also used to accentuate a smirk or turned down sulky lips...or even create a smile or sulky lips that don't really exist just in sculpt.

Here's an icon since it's small:

[​IMG]

That's a Bory's lips. Sulkiest looking doll in terms of sculpts but with the little dots at the ends of his mouth, he looks like he's smiling instead.

13. It doesnt bother me much. Depends on the face up..

Uri has a dark red in contrast to his lips.. i actually like it =]

14. i thought it looked alot like food too

and when i made this thread id only seen huge big black spots on natural face ups and now ive seen a few that are ok

the one that makes it look like he is smiling is actually cute, but then again those are tiny and they are not dark black either

15. I think it can add a lot to the doll's expression!

I'm not keen on it when it's extremely overblown, because I find it a bit distracting. I like it best when it's a colour which compliments the overall face-up, or even just the lips :)

16. it doesn't bother me. In fact I think it helps when you are takingpictures of them, they shouldn't really show in a normal photo ( ie not extreme close up). they do work.

However when I first got a doll with them, i didn't like them.

some people make them way too big- then they look odd! i think they work well with paler lips that need a little more definition in a photo

17. I think that when the line/spots are 100% black, then it looks a little odd.

But I do like a lip line because it adds depth, so for my own boys I prefer them to have it in a shade which is just slightly darker than the rest of their lips. It really does look much better that way. :)

18. yeah the lip lines are not so bad

19. I really like the lip line on most dolls and I do it in my faceups. Usually I use a lighter brownish color though. I don't like the way it looks when it's black. Different shades for different faceups is what I prefer I guess. It can really add a lot of depth as well as tone an expression up or down. n.n

20. This is one of those things that you never notice until one day someone points it out and it's all you see! I never knew or noticed these spots before, but now it's the only part of a face up I'm paying attention to.