1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

dark spots on the corner of lips?

Aug 9, 2008

1. I never really understood them until I wanted one of my doll's faces to look a bit more sad than it already did, and adding two tiny little itty bitty dots to the corners of his lips made all the difference.

[​IMG]

Sorry, they're not really visible there ..

2. lol ya sorry

3. Aw yea I definitely know what you mean... Dolkot is a big offender when it comes to this. The saddest part is a lot of their faceups would be absolutely gorgeous if they didn't add the GIANT COMPLETELY BLACK blobs at the corners of the dolls' mouths. I first realized it when they released Abel because I went from "Oohh~ pretty!" to "...??? hmmm.." to "WTF!? What the heck are those!!" as I scrolled down the page.

Though I have to say that they are a very useful tool when done correctly and can completely change the personality of a doll. For the longest time after I had Akira's face redone I had become uncomfortable with her and was really annoyed that I had wiped her original face. Then one day... I realized it was because no matter what she always looked grumpy and angry and was just not anything like the bright and happy doll I had opened the big doll box to... As I examined the past pictures I realized she was missing the little smirky dots... In her original faceup they were a light brown so they weren't annoying and dark so I just imitated it myself with a shade darker than her new lip color and it worked out great!! She's still a bit too grumpy... but a whole lot better before! ((she literally looked like she was going to murder someone every hour every day of the week... can you imagine how depressing that'd be to come home to?? lol))

4. I have to admit, the portraitist in me cringes at the little black spots. There really aren't black spots at the corners of the human mouth, only deeper shadows if the person has an upper lip that protrudes signifigantly over the lower, (I have a very full lower lip and have almost no shadow at all there). And deeper shadows on skin aren't black, they have all sorts of lovely colors in them. So, no little black dots for me, thanks

BUT I do undersand where they came from stylistically-simple lines, blocks/dots of color to indicate expression...it's very anime-inspired and since a lot of BJD sculpts adhere to that aesthetic, it makes sense.

Just not my thing :)

5. When I do faceups, I usually do put them, but I don't do black. I usually to a darker shade of the lip color. I think they make the lips more defined.

6. I don't like the black spots near the lips. I like it when the spots are a darker shade of the lip color. Like Davey has pink lips and redish-pink "spots", though you can't really tell unless you stare at her.

~Chaos :daisy

7. 2 of my dolls have black dots at the side of their lips. Whilst it appeals to some and others dislike they actually don't bother me at all.

8. yeah when i made this thread i hated them

but now ive seen quite a few that really are not that bad

9. None of my dolls seem to have those dimples at the sides of their mouths anyway, so there's no need for any dots. The bit where their lips part is done in a slightly darker shade of their lip colour anyway.

10. One of my dolls has two black dots at the corners, and they annoy me to no end. It probably doesn't help that they are uneven. Since it's a company custom I imagine they just went "plop plop" without too much thought. :| It's one of the reasons I'm wanting to get her a new faceup.

When subtle they can work well on some dolls, but in general I rather avoid them on my own collection.

11. scroll through the other comments on this thread, i remember someone saying how she carefully removed only the dots

12. Oh, yeah I know. :P But I also hate her eyebrows, so the dots only pushed me over the edge to wanting a new one.

13. i quite like it! but only in certain dolls, as long as theyre not over the top. for example my girlfriends miryu has them, and one side it makes her look happy, and the other side makes her look sad. it really lends to the dolls expression sometimes.

14. I remember a quote from an Araki tutorial,something like "accent the edges of the mouth with two dots using a dark color to make it more 3-Dimensional"....Personally I'm not a big fan and I always though that maybe just using a darker complexion of the already picked lip color would possible work better...

15. Huh. That's weird, I never thought it was such a big deal to people O.o; Personally I think they're cute if done professionaly, on any type of face-up and sculpt. I actually really like them since they can give a sculpt an expression it might not otherwise be capable of. I'm hoping to get them on my H. Ivan to give his lips a sort of sad, pouty look, so it'll suit his character perfectly, rather than the sort of neutral lips expression he has now. Alot of these dolls are already stylized to some degree as it is, I don't see how stylization on the face-up doesn't fit in with the rest of the scheme. But that's just me xP

16. I never knew so many people disliked them xD.

I personally love them.

im gonna make sure all of my dolls have them with their faceups =w= :aheartbea

edit; i guess it never bothered me because when i draw pictures,
      i draw lips with dark spots on the corners of their mouth anyways~ xDD
      i never thought twice about it.

17. I find that the more dolls I look at the more I am attracted to the subtle shadows and the nice defined mouths, I think (personally ) that the shading in the corners helps add to the lips as long as it is not too dark ,I agree that the use of lip color but stronger really reinforces the sculpt somehow, that is just me thinking out loud though.

18. I really really didn't like them whatsoever before I purchased Yli.

I didn't notice on her pictures she had them though, and they're not totally black but dramatically darker then her normal color, almost black.

But they make her so expressive and cute now that she is home, I love her faceup 100% all of it, and the little dimples while there, don't bother me at all in person.

19. My soo has really big dark spots and it drives me crazy. It looks like she ate something. :lol: I like slightly darker shading there, but not that much. I'd like to get her a new face up soon.

20. lolz, the REALLY dark ones i thought might even be holes in the corners of the mouth.:sweat

yeh, im not a real big fan of the dark dots....