1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

dark spots on the corner of lips?

Aug 9, 2008

1. I dont mind them if the lips are dark or the dots are really light, just for accent and depth, but I hate when its just BIG BLACK DOTS! My doll's default faceup didn't have it in the images at all, but when I received him in person, he had the dots there, and it looks because because his lips aren't that dark... I'll be removing them when I get the right stuff to do it.

2. Those drive me nuts when they're really dark/obvious. When I went back and looked through my flickr gallery it turns out that most of my dolls have some kind of darkish line at the corners of their lips, but it's really subtle. I've seen faceups where the black leaps out at me, and I just find it distracting then.

3. I think it helps definition, because with some photos and cameras fine details get washed out. In photographing people (and in film and television), professionals will apply slightly overexaggerated makeup to compensate for the slight washing-out effect of the camera. My Renee up close has some pretty definite dark spots in the corners of her mouth, but in photography it just blends so nicely and it looks very natural to me.

4. I've noticed Kid Delf Cherry has this in some of her Luts photos! I remember it really confused me when I was first looking at BJDs!

5. My Iplehouse Silvia has them. They actually look more like dimples to me than black dots, but I'm sure that depends on the faceup and how subtly (or not) they are done.

Syl has sort of a wistful sweet look on her face and the darker corners of her mouth add to that a bit. I don't find that it detracts from her looks at all.

What's interesting though is that she's a limited edition and the pics of her on the site with the faceup DO NOT have the darkened corners. I've no idea why they decided to add them to mine but I don't find it bothersome.

And it really does seem like it depends on the artist doing the faceup as well as the doll's face itself as to whether or not they affect the doll's looks.

6. I agree with those who have said that they look good on some dolls. On others, it's just too much, and it doesn't look right. If it's subtle, or works with the faceup colors, it adds definition, but sometimes it's just so... awkwardly there.... that it takes away from the doll's beauty... (In my opinion ^.^)

7. I think it makes them more anime-ish, it kind of takes away from realism in the doll. Nothing wrong with that, it still looks nice to me with the spots, if it's done well.

8. it adds more definition to the lips, and sometimes helps with emotion.

9. im debating on buying a doc kirill or a kid delf cherry for my first doll. but i plan to eventually have both. they both have these dots
      his dont bother me.
      [​IMG]

but hers do ( i have seen some cute owner pics with them, but they still are not for me)
      [​IMG]

does anyone know how to request a face up without them? i have never ordered a doll before (let alone ask for a change in a face up) and i dont want to do it wrong.

10. I like them when they are not overdone. I mean, they are there to define lips better so they should be dark but not black. If I'm looking in mirror (without eating an oreo ^_^) I see dark line for sure, but not big black dots!
      I have two dolls without them and two with. It's not such big a difference, but it's done very subtly on mine...

11. I love them =3 on my own dolls I do them in my faceups.. I know a lot of people hate them but I think they build character..

12. Myeah, i hear a lot of people dislike them.
      And people that commission me asking me not to use dark spots/lines.

But i do think that if you use them right.. and not just paint a spot and stop... but blur them a bit. They can be a great addition to a faceup.
      I often use Pastels to just blur out the lip line.. if this is painted.. a bit.

I myself HATE HATE HATE lips that just have some pink pastel or paint[even worse] smacked on and some white lines.
      There is no depth.. you can't take pictures where you can see between your dolls lips because then you can see how fake it looks.. and just.. D:
      Don't do that to me.. *kicks elfdoll..who also likes to do this on their dolls*

Some dolls really need these dots tho,
      Like my Rosy..why almost looked like she had 2 strange pits in her face without them D:
      or Narshas.. who have very undeep lips.
      you can mod it..or paint it.. one of these 2.

[srry for the strange blur.. it focused on the tip of her eyelash x___o]

[​IMG]

i did mod my other Narsha and my Zaolls lips because they were so ...undeep.

13. Undeep - The word you're looking for here is 'shallow'. :)

Other than that, I agree with everything you said. When the dots are very obviously dabbed on at the corners of the mouth they look awful, but without the dots a lot of shallow doll lips are undefined at the edges.

I try to get a good level of realism in my face-ups, which means I have to try and replicate how human lips look. We do have dark spots at the corners of our mouths, they may not be black, but they are dark because it's the shadow where our lips join. I think dolls without them can look very odd.

14. I like when there's some division to the lips - some dolls need a bit of a line (darker, but not black) and some don't, and subtle darkness in the corners of the mouth can help sometimes. When it's just black dots, though, I don't like them.

My Crow has them...

[​IMG]

...and everyone who sees him asks about them. "Is that left from the mold?" "What are those black dots?" I just tell them they're part of the painting style from that company, because all the company photos I've seen have them, too. (Yep, he's a Dolkot!)

I adore the rest of his faceup, so they're staying, and they don't jump out and bother me every time I look at him or anything, but I really do wish they were a bit more subtle. He needs something there to emphasize the downturn of his mouth (so cute!), but what's there is a bit more obvious than I'd like.

If I was commissioning a faceup from someone, I would tell them I'm totally OK with some darkness there if needed, but please no obvious stark black dots!

15. I only like them as long as it's done well in a colour close to the rest of the face up. It really is a wonderful technique to add extra expression to a doll. My own doll has them because despite her mold having a smile, after painting her lips she really lost that expression. The accentuated shadow really brought it back.

16. I looked at a lot of dolls online before I decided which ones I was interested in. There were a number that I liked with default face ups, except for one thing...

My eyes would be drawn to the mouth because there would be a dark dot on each side.

DOT.....mouth.....DOT

Sadly, that effect does not appeal to me. I'm thinking it's supposed to add depth?

Do other people like this effect? If you have a doll like this, is it less noticeable in person?

SOME EXAMPLES:
      Angell-Studio "Gabriel White Muscle"- http://www.angell-studio.com/en/?product-603-Gabriel%20White%20muscle(Freely%20Collacation@Senior%20Body)-index.html

MiniFee "ShuShu"- http://efdoll.dreamweb.co.kr/shop/step1.php?number=62

Dollkot "Yuna"- http://dolkot.com/shop/step1.php?number=1271

17. After you mentioned this I went to check my own dolls and though my girls didn't have them I was surprised to find that my Minifee El (who has a default face-up) sort of has the "dots" that you mention. Only just barely in my opinion. I never noticed them before and frankly I still think he's the most gorgeous thing ever. It's only really noticeable if you're looking for it but I don't know if that would apply to the area you're concerned about because all the dolls you posted were girls so it may be more noticeable in female face-ups.

18. I think it really depends on the make of the doll, if they can pull it off or not.

19. None of my girls has the dots, though my Marie's lips have prominent corners. I think it depends on the doll. Some dolls can pull it off, others can't. It might be helpful over time when face-ups start to fad, but I don't know. I guess I would say it wouldn't bother me if I liked the doll a lot.

20. i dont like it at all not painted a little bit of blushing in the corners of the mouth is okay , i dont like it if they have an obvious line painted all the way between the lips either