1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Debate format: Culture of Debt

May 18, 2007

1. I have to say I'm leaning towards for although it's definitely a situational thing, and I definitely agree that many people who go into debt for BJDs would probably go into debt for something else anyway.

It's just that the very nature of the hobby with online purchases and split second decisions (when it comes limiteds) encourages people to use credit cards more so than other hobbies (where supplies are more readily available, and limited edition refers to a larger number than say... 30). And the tricks that people use to try to limit spending (such as only paying cash) aren't really an option.

I think people also tend to forget how much shoes, wigs and eyes cost. They're so tiny and cost so much less than the actual doll, that people don't notice how much 30 dollars here and there adds up.

2. I'm actually for this statement, well, at least it's what I see on my own example. I never used a credit before (well, I live in a country where the usage os credit just starts being popular). But since I got interested in BJDs, I'm constantly living in debt.
      It is difficult psychologically but I think everyone makes his/her own choice. There are people who can save money and wait patiently, and there are those who don't want to wait and it's easier for them to pay back than to save because they don't have a choice.

3. I agree with this.
      Because the BJDs are expensive, they contribute to the culture of debt. Peer pressure on BJD groups also has an effect. When everybody is showing off their latest additions, others start to get that "me too" feeling, and feel the need of buying new dolls even if they could really not afford it.

I admit that I pay dolls by Credit Card, but only because that is the only way I can make the payments (my PayPal account also withdraws directly from my credit card). However, I do not have actual debt option on my credit card, the balance is always paid off full at the end of next month. And I take care that there is always as much extra money on my bank account as the credit card balance is.

I have seen people needing to sell their dolls just because they have bills to pay and I think then they are in trouble. But any luxury items and peer pressure combined have the same effect, BJDs are not alone in that respect.

4. neither for nor against...

personally i'd never go into debt buying dolls because 1) it's not a necessity and 2) it's a huge one to pay back, because it's not only the doll but also the eyes hair clothes etc. I'm towards the safer side of the spectrum, and prefer to buy once I have saved more than enough for all that.

but in china i know a lotta people who's in deep debt buying dolls (also doujins - -) and I don't really have a thing against tat...it's their life and their money, they decide whatever they want to do w it.

5. I'm agaisnt.
      The very idea of putting myself into debt scares me, I may want more BJD's but if I buy with credit, then I may never appericate the doll fully because I feel I can do this with many more. I know this may not be the case for others. Plus I feel more connected to the doll with funds I rasied even before I get it.
      With my Obitsu, my fatehr bought her for me but I've just recently connected with her. With the pixie doll I'm hoping to get soon, I've raised the funds myself and I feel connected to her before I even get her.

6. Kinda both.
      For me I am, in a sense, putting myself into dept. I'm not working at the moment due to it being winter, and dont have the money. I explained to my Mom how badly I wanted a doll, and she is 'buying him' for me, but I have to pay her back.
      Now, another option was charging the doll to my checking account. BUT my credit score couldve been messed up but this so I didnt want to.. even though I knew I could pay it back in less than a month.
      In my opinion, its all on the situation,
      You just paid the bills, you get paid friday and a ltm edition doll comes out.. ending thursday! Go on and get him if your paycheck will cover him. But Thats just my opinion. :)

7. Against the thesis as stated. The collecting of ABJDs is a tiny, tiny eddy in the ocean of consumerism that surrounds us. The issue is really the alteration of social norms that have elevated luxury to necessity, linked status (even citizenship!) to possessions instead of qualities, glorified instant gratification and made vast amounts of consumer debt acceptable instead of shameful, as it was when my adoptive mother grew up (child of the Great Depression). Our entire economy is built upon the rather shaky ground of luring people into buying stuff they really don't need, made out of and by means of limited natural resources, in order to fill emotional voids that by definition can't be satisfied through material means. Along with heightened expectations add the decline in real wages over the last 30-odd years and a few other details like rising housing and health-care prices, and you have, well, the mess you can see all around us. Those individuals who drive themselves into debt collecting huge numbers of dolls, or chasing limiteds or what-have-you are merely acting out on the personal level the Weltanschauung (world view) of our culture as a whole.

Sorry for the sermonizing. Please return to your regularly-scheduled thread.

8. For:

With things like layaways and limited dolls, BJDs easily fuel the "resin obsession" and the mentality that, if you need the money, just sell the doll later and enjoy it now. Thus this is why there are doll sales where the owner needs the money now. Without taking the time to ponder the doll and save up for it, the novelty of the doll doesn't wear off, which often means that the doll wasn't really for you, and wasn't worth your money, so here you are, three months later, broke again and selling off another doll you didn't really like.

Obviously, not everyone abuses layaways, just as not everyone abuses credit. But there are people who do, and are affected in this way. So as for BJDs fueling an idea that being in debt is normal, that is most certainly true.

9. The hobby obviously does fuel a "culture of debt." How many owners do you know opt for layaway or credit when possible? I know I do. And I know several others that do. With so many sellers offering the option(s), it's become something of a norm within the hobby. Sellers certainly aren't dampening the prevalence of a culture of debt. Additionally, just because some owners don't purchase any BJD paraphernalia on credit/layaway doesn't mean the culture of debt can't continue to grow.

As an aside, I want to greatly thank the OP for creating a true debate. I was hoping to see more topics in this sub-forum that actually fit into the proper definition of the term.