1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedicated doll space

Nov 24, 2019

1. I had a display cabinet but it's been taken over with other items due to a change in priorities.

I'm hoping to get a new desk with shelving set up, so I can keep all my dolls and related bits in one place.

2. I've got an Ikea cupboard (Malm with 3 drawers), and it fits six SD-sized dolls nicely if they lie down. I'm neurotic about sunlight (not that it's much to worry about in Finnish winter, sun sets at 3 pm and rises again at 10 am, and the clouds cover it anyway, you only see the sky at night). The problem is, though, I have 8 right now if I count in the ones still coming in.

3. I have 2 wicked shelves in my room, in a corner the light doesn't touch. I've adjusted the shelf height so dolls can stand. I have 4 shelves dedicated to my dolls.

4. My dolls dont exactly have their own space persay right now as i still have lots of things to go through from when i moved, but when i do, id like to get some of those buildable plastic shelves for them to stand or sit on to go beside my bookshelves. i also have a corner of my living room that dips to the side.. im also thinking about giving that space to them once i clean out that side so that they have their own little corner. their clothes are already in that corner area.. most of the items at least.

right now they sit on the shelf and 1 to 2 of my dolls has a sd sized sofa that i have pulled up to my coffee table since its just me and my cat afterall.

5. Living in a small house means we don't have "dedicated doll space." Right now, my Crew is somewhat scattered all over the house. Some in each bedroom, and some on a chair in the kitchen. I switch around who sits on the kitchen chair every now and then, so maybe that's the only truly "dedicated space" in the house. ;)

Ryu

6. I converted my old bedroom into a work room/doll room and I've got a bunch of intertwining dioramas of various scales set up and I love it so much!

7. Thanks for showing how you store your dolls and for sharing photos of your collection. I love to see how other folks display their dolls.

8. You are very lucky that you have a whole room. I love that your dolls are sitting there waiting for their turns for attention.

9. Our home has two bonus rooms in basement with no windows so legally can't be used for bedrooms so my husband has one for his office and I have the other for my dolls. Since no windows they are safe from daylight. I have Ikea storage cabinets as well as Target ones. Inside our bins labeled with clothes and shoes by size, wigs and so on. On top of cabinets on IKEA couches (small dog beds ) sit my dolls in groups. I also lately have had to fit in my paint supplies, and canvasses both blank and finished of my pour paintings. My room is basically ten by twelve feet and I also have a small closet in room as well. I have been very lucky to have a space for my dolls since I started in hobby.

10. This was my solution. Mesh, stack-able, cube storage. It holds well, is lightweight, and I can add infinitely many compartments as the doll family grows. It looks better in person than it does on pictures. The photos sort of make it look like a kennel which I don't like but, meh. The girls like it.

[​IMG]

11. I'm currently in a small apartment, but we're on track to buy a house soon and one of my requirements is a doll/craft room. Even if it's a garage! I'm dreaming of a sizeable space that can house a wall for photoshoots and tons of drawers. I'm still debating on if I want to keep my dolls displayed all the time, since I kind of like having them boxed up as they currently are- I've considered repurposing their boxes to be shelves on the wall so they can stand, maybe have a UV-protective glass covering so they can be seen but safe from rays.

12. Ours is still a work in progress. Right now, about a third are in the office sitting on a shelf and on my computer desk. Another third is hanging out in the craft/hobby room which is suppose to be the doll room but it's still mostly "throw stuff in there" room. The last third are in the living room, some sitting on chairs and others in the curio. In time, we're hoping to improve the craft/hobby room to be more accommodating for our various hobbies and eventually we'll have them all there. We'll see as I'm kind of liking having them in different parts of the house so I can see them whenever I am in a different room. Haha.

13. From the very beginning in this hobby I decided to have doll dioramas, using them like 3 dimensional art in my home. So basically, instead of hanging a painting or poster on the wall, I would use that space to place a tall, narrow cabinet and create doll rooms within it. Or I would put up a shelf, and set that up as a room display. Or put a dresser in a corner with a doll diorama on top of it, filling the drawers beneath with doll clothes and supplies. In this way, I could place these display areas wherever I thought they would look good and fit comfortably within a room. It gave me a lot of freedom, hubby loves the creativity of it, and I get to see my dolls all the time as I walk through the house.:)

[​IMG]

14. I would love to have a doll space ( and possibly decorate it as a mini bedroom for them) but my place is too small T_T

15. Dear PoeticSoul, what a great idea. I love the room you have created. Your doll looks so regal.

16. Mine all live in a 3x4 foot cabinet, which is kinda crowded but at least in there they are safe from sun, cat, dust, and chihuahua.

17. I just got a dedicated hobby/living room for myself. The first aspect that my husband works in shifts, and when he arrives or leaves, I have difficulties with my sleep pattern. So we decided to have separate beds. This room is about to become my dollspace. After both of my parents passed away, we had to clean out their house and decided to make some doll cabinets out of the the white Ikea Billy shelves they had. We will put two behind each other in order to get a good area for the guys to stand on.

Originally, I intended to get Detolf cabinets with just one shelf left in. Luckily I read the technical data and saw that you can put maximum 3.5 kg onto one shelf. As my husband and I agreed that you can put easily 2 dolls in, it might have been two much with two big 70 cm guys in there. The Billy are much better suited.

I already have a desk. I still have a silk painting frame around. I want to see whether it is possible to use this as a photography background on the table to finally get some better lit shots (not the usual WIP pics in front of the fridge). It is very well adjustable, and I could put differently coloured backgrounds onto it. My laptop lives there. However, I still have to sort my supplies. They will not all be in that room, as I do not want the acrylic colours or base coat stuff etc. in there. Also, I do not think there will be enought space for all the fabrics, threads, tools, etc. Maybe just the basic BJD maintenance neccessities and a few other items.

Also, I want to put in a closed cabinet with all of my unfinished tales, I mean projects. That way, I hope to finally finish them step by step and be able to move on to new ideas.

18. My closet has a division in the middle (sort of like a giant bookshelf) so the dolls have the middle portion as their space. It's a pretty decent size for them and as the doors are usually closed keeps them safe from most things.

19. Dear Ipledreamer, it's great that you have a space for your hobby. It sounds like you are well organized.

20. Oh, thank you. Maybe in the future. Right now, it is pure chaos.