1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did how many dolls you plan to have change?

Jun 26, 2008

1. Actually, my doll number preference has changed by decreasing in size. I believe, originally, I was planning on 4 to 6 dolls. Now, I feel quite content with a max of two. In my opinion, it lets me save more money for better clothes/eyes/wigs/etcetera. :) I have gone through quite a few dolls, and I've found that having a 'favorite' doesn't work out for me so much; therefore, having only two dolls, of my all-time favorites, seems like the most fun for me.

2. Um... Yeah.. It changed a little bit.. Just a touch. Teeny bit. I had planned to get three max.. I have.. Well.. Ahem....... Thirteen... Well, one hasn't arrived yet, a Beryl, but they're taking forever to get them out.. But yes... Three max to thirteen. Considerable change. In my DEFENSE.. Five are tinies...

3. i agree with you. im planning on getting four, but im starting to re think that, cuz one is not enought but any more than two will be hard to take everywhere with me like im planning lol

4. I never planned on any specific amount. However, size matters. I have 3 SD, 20+MSD, and loads of tinys all in the 5-10" size. I like dolls that can switch clothes with each other. But new dolls keep getting released and I just HAVE to have one! LOL I'm incorrigible.

5. This site is the absolute worst for keeping me in a sane number. *L* I keep seeing beautiful dolls that I feel I have to have someday... Originally, way back years ago when I first met with BJD, I wasnt as into them as I was now. All I wanted was a single Abadon... No desire to be in the community, no desire for any more than just him, because I simply couldn't wrap my head around the cost of the dolls.

That progressed to wanting a family of three, all brothers. I have wanted the same three for a long time now... the place Abadon would have occupied has been overtaken by Sard, as he is much better a sculpt for the character. But the other two have remained the same doll as the originally planned character, for about two years now.

Then the Mana Minimee order happened. Arg, what can I say, I led it because I wasn't about to give away that opportunity to someone else, and miss out on my very own pet Mana.

Then I met a friend's SA Husky in person. Husky was the very first BJD I ever saw, and made me fall in love with them... I kind of always had him in my head but never had seen one face to face. When I did.... I just went head over heels. Everything about SA Husky is so perfect... even the floppiness gives me fits. So another character appeared.

Now the roster is at five. Honestly if I were given a BJD outside of my little group, I would not turn it down.... but for myself, I don't think I will ever be one of those people who need to own 20 dolls. Even five seems too many to me, and I dont even own them all yet. I guess I feel the need to try to keep all my hobbies in moderation, and I always come back to the issue of need as opposed to want.

6. *cough* In two months the idea of "Just one will do..." changed to number 5 being ordered already. I'm hoping this hobby will have the same flow as my other ones; buying a bulk at once and then stop buying completely. Else I don't know how many I may end up with Dx

7. I thought I was just going to get one pullip.... then it became 3 pullips and a dal.... and soon i'll go from plastic to resin with my dollmore doll. :3 That doesn't even count my anime dolls... they aren't really ball jointed but i love them.

8. Oh yeah--my "plans" sure have been changed, lol! I started out thinking that I would only have between 3 to 5 bjd's, and now I'm at around 20 with a wish list besides! The problem for me is display space, and since I'm pretty much running out of it at this point, it will probably have an effect on my future collecting now anyway.

9. My plans also changed, though perhaps not very quickly!

At first, I wanted "just one SD" and was quite sure about this. Then, about six months later, I decided that I should have a MSD too -- one of each size is perfect, right? ^_~

After that it was more than a year before I decided I would like to have more than those two. Three or four sounded like a good idea, 'cause now there were BOY dolls too, y'know? :lol:

And now? I own four, with one on the way and another I'm saving up for. And I have plans for at least 3-4 more after that . . . so somehow, I went from wanting ONE to wanting 9+. Two of my planned dolls are tinies though . . . so can they count as half a doll each? XD

10. Reading the posts is hilarious and oh so familiar. I started out finding BJDs ugly and way too expensive. But then I saw Binli and was able to buy her. After her AoD Rao and Chen were adopted out by a friend and then Meigi came and now I have 11 and. no. 12 on her way. BUT .. this really is it for the time being. Such a large BJD family is not good for my bank account!

JoLanda

11. By looking at their prices I thought maybe I only can afford to have just one or two dolls, but boy was I wrong!!:doh I start collecting two years ago and now I have 9 dolls in total!! ...and its still growing. *_*

12. Yes. I originally just wanted one, then invented a family for her. Gwenllian has four sisters, but at this time I don't think I'm going to get them because Alaw didn't fit the character I got her for, so I don't want to take the risk of buying more in case they don't work out and I feel bad about selling them.

Zeelzaroth has a large family I would love to have in resin form, but I don't have the space for this at the moment. Similarly I'd love to have all mine and my brother's Dark Angel characters in resin form, but I'm settling on my own character right now and I think four BJDs is enough. I want to get to the point where they all have corresponding outfits so I can play with them all together, rather than go out and buy the people they're really supposed to interact with. I think buying the clothing and eyes will be cheaper than actually buying the dolls to go with them.

13. I originally just wanted one but knew that more would probably come in the future but I was planing no more then 4 dolls. Then things spiraled out of control and in less then a year I have 6 full dolls and 3 heads. I don't think I'll ever put a max on the amount of dolls I could have as I feel that 20 wouldn't be that hard to achieve, but I have noticed that my need for more dolls is declining so I might buy bodies for my poor heads and leave it at 8-9 (thinking of selling one of the heads!)

14. *casts Raise2 on thread*

Yeah, it's an old thread, but it's also hilarious, and a new thread would simply be merged into this one anyway.

Like many others, I started by saying, "I only need one. Then life will be complete!". :roll: Yeah. Let me just say that sentiment lasts only so long, especially when all local meetups are saturated with enablers. XD

3 years later, I own 3 with a 4th on the way. However, I do have limits (really I do!). I told my wife that if I ever end up with 7, that's it. If I decide to get an 8th, I have to get rid of one first.

I was also at a meet about a month ago, and we were talking to someone who didn't own any BJDs but was very interested. She said something along the lines of, "If I got one, I think that'd be it for me. One's enough." A fellow BJD'er and I looked at each other, and we patted the woman's shoulder saying, "Uh huh. Whatever you say..." :lol:

It's funny, when I first got into this hobby I thought "why on earth would you need more than one??". Silly me.

15. When I decided to just recently get into it, I didn't make any sort of limit to how many dolls I wanted - I plan to have as many as I can possibly afford without either going broke or being disowned by my family XD; My wishlist is already HUGE! There's just a bunch that I love~
      I can't imagine getting anymore than 5 tops before I go to college though (next year - how scaryyy), as I want some fairly pricey ones and I don't make that much money, plus if Soom releases any monthly dolls that I simply can't live without then I'm surely done for... but no matter how big or small my doll family may be, I'll adore it all the same~
      So, for how many dolls I plan to have changing... well, we'll just have to see about that, won't we?

16. I had originally thought "OK, I'll save up and get ONE, a Minifee Shushu girl. I only need ONE." Which in a matter of a few days changed to "OK, it's harder to do photostories with just one, and the boy ones are so awesome - so, ONE girl first, then I'll save up and eventually get TWO MORE boys.

But then CHARACTERS developed, and the boys kept popping up on the marketplace. I now have SEVEN. Though two of them are just heads, at the moment, including my planned first doll who just arrived yesterday! My wishlist keeps growing, and there are 6 more on the wishlist who already have names and characters.

I never thought I'd have SEVEN. Not for YEARS, at least!

I guess I'll find out how many are too many eventually, but I really do want those other 6 characters. At least 2 of those are tinies! I also want another SD to hang out with Devon, but that's way down the wishlist.

17. It is really mostly about the story line. The number of characters I have developed are quite a few and there are a few characters that are not in doll form yet. The number of dolls could change a lot, depending on my ability to find molds that fit the character. I have tried buying dolls and creating a character for them and ended up having to sell pretty dolls because it is just not how it works for me. :/

I guess I never thought I would get so many dolls, but some of my characters have been with me forever.

~Gus

18. Heh. Yeah. When I first started three years ago, it was one. Now three years later I have 8 and 1 on the way. My limit now is ten and it is going to stay that way. I do not have the room for more, and I might be moving, so I dont want to worry too much about it or have the hassel of moving more then ten.

19. It was originally just going to be Sei and Sybal. Then I wanted Ranye and Quinn, too. That added Eleanor. I then wanted a baby, which brought on Carlotta. Originally it was just going to be that. Then I decided Quinn's gay. Hello Ty. Now adopt Braxton. Zee, you are everything I've ever known. Oh, nice to meet you Talin. Eleanor, Carlotta wants to know about her daddy. And I may as well add a few more. Welcome to the family Oktober, Genevive, Mikael, and Adriel. MECHA ANGEL; Hi, Nebula. Tiny cat boy! Come here Cyrus! Need inseperable steam punk inventors. Hello Alice and Annabell. Rayne needs a new body. Perfect reason to add two new friends, Slip and Stay. Mecha Angel jointed hands? Keep and Fall! Genevive wants a brother. Hi there Jesse. Jesse's lonely. Nice to meet you Oren. Albinism? Oh, hi Lysander. Lysander's mommy? Get over here, Vendeta. Jesse and Genevive are only half siblings? Jesse needs a real brother? Living inside him? Let's get some more eyes and a wig and call it Cody. Twincest brothers? Ahh! Skyler, Kylie, I need you!

That's twenty-nine. Thirty if you count Cody as another doll. And I do. It went from two to thirty. I think it changed. That's my limit, though. I don't think Keep, Fall, Slip or Stay will last. Who knows. But if I do get rid of them, I will try my hardest to keep from trying to fill those spaces. If they stay, I've reached my limit and will beg a friend to buy that doll. Yeah, I'm pathetic.

20. I didn't know how many I wanted.... I thought maybe a few, a couple, a friend, a tiny. Now I don't think I'll ever really have a set number. I now have 4 whole dolls and 5 floating heads. :sweat