1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did owning BJDs turn you into a shopaholic?

Apr 26, 2011

1. I have always had hobbies that involved shopping. (Primarily collecting My Little Pony toys and involvement in lolita fashion...) I do not shop any more now that I have ball-jointed dolls. Unfortunately, I don't shop any less, either. ;) I keep a close eye on my "spending money" and do my best to allocate it to the various interests I am focused on at the time.

2. More like a window shopper because stuff is so expensive! I'm not saying it's not worth the price, but I don't even pay some of those prices for my own things. lol

3. Already a shopaholic, this just gives me one more thing to obsess on.

4. Definitely agreeing with how purchasing BJDs have changed my perspective of what's deemed as expensive these days. Gone are the days when I used to think it'd be ridiculously crazy to purchase any of the Limited Edition dolls from Soom or Iplehouse, etc and now all that's stopping me isn't the price tag, but whether or not it's a nice sculpt/outfit... Yikes!

5. It didn't turn me into a shopaholic but it certainly didn't help me deal with the problem. I have deliberately spent less in the hobby for some time now to try and improve my attitude to shopping. I am turning my problem around and now I resolve to only buy things when I have sold things so I don't get overwhelmed by new items and trick myself into overspending. I recently made myself sell a doll to buy an Unoa Chibi when Noppin opened their preorder and making myself do that made me reevaluate my opinions on some other things in my doll collection that I also felt ready to let go of, so the total of what I was able to sell paid for my new doll and her customs (ransom) fees and made me feel a lot healthier about my collection.

I had been in a process of rapidly acquiring things for my dolls for a while and like every addict everywhere I was able to talk myself into thinking that it was perfectly okay to be shopping this way. I also have to deal with depression which triggered a lot of my spending because I thought I was buying my way out of being miserable, (pro-tip: this does not work,) but now I feel far more in control and a lot better about my spending, even if my health isn't 100% there yet.

I'm sorry if this has taken the discussion down an uncomfortable route!

6. It hasn't made me into a shopaholic, I still try to be thrifty. It has, however, taught me that it will be a lot harder to sew than I thought. Thankfully the sizes I have wear common doll clothes like Barbie and Kelly.

7. It has a little... I never really bought things for myself before. Save for things I actually needed, like new computer when the old one breaks, and new clothes when mine get worn to death. Lately though, since my 3rd doll, I find myself window shopping for doll items just to relax. I'll add a bunch of dolly things to my wish list, and some things I end up actually purchasing thinking, "best buy it before its gone". I've been working on weening myself off of too many dolly things, especially after just buying another doll. My allowance only is so much, and I have my husband's feelings to consider as well. It's our money. :)

8. I've always been a shopaholic, but bjd collecting has DEFINITELY made it worse!

9. I did and I prefer to buy my doll's item rather than mine.

10. Always been a shopaholic!! Collecting bjds just made it worse *_*

11. I was never much of a shopper, until I discovered BJDs. I had never bought ANYTHING via the internet, or from overseas. Now I spend 40 - 50 hours a week browsing the net for perfectly scaled dollie props, and goodies....and a week that I don't get at least one package in the mail for my dolls seems sort of stale, lifeless, and flat.

Red letter days are the ones when I get more than one package.

Yep, I am now a BJD obsessed shopaholic!

12. Yes, lol. I spent all day on DH websites. I am willing to purchase something for my dolls as long as I have time, but I was not interested in shopping before.

13. Nope, greedy by nature. I would buy clothes sure but i got limits, budget and amount. I do love to browse tho

14. Nah, I've always been a bit of a shopper... although I must say BJD shopping seems to have reset my idea about what is "expensive" and not in a good way... ;)

15. I just realised that there's virtually no time that I haven't been waiting for something to arrive... be it a doll, an accessory or a bit of fabric... I think it means I am xD

16. i am a toy/doll shopaholic defiantly, spending all my spare money on BJD's, Monster High and other dolls.....nooooooo

17. YES!! I've warned myself so many times not to buy any unnecessary things anymore, but apparently, never success in not buying those cute little things for my tiny little friends. Lol~

Sent from my X9006 using Tapatalk

18. yes...and i havre to buy them behind my hubby back now :(
      he cant understand y these dolls ar so expensive...