1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did owning BJDs turn you into a shopaholic?

Apr 26, 2011

1. Yes it has XD
      But it's more the window-shopaholic kind XD
      But it's true... I saw something on a site in the right price range and wheeee it was bought XD
      I was never like this before..but I don't mind, I know I won't ruin myself.

2. now even if I don't have any money, I spend hours doing clothes wishlist on every site I know!
      and like northen_raven ;what is considered "expensive" for me has changed a lot! "only $200! OMG that's nothing, must have! :D "
      aïe aïe aïe .__.

3. I totally understand the altered perception on the price of things. *_* But it was good for me in a way because after I had significantly curbed my doll purchases, the tight-fisted me who used to question the value of buying decent food now spends a lot more on having fun and buying quality necessities in general.

I think I more came to my senses over the past years.

[ETA]

It's kind of funny rereading this because I don't know why it was so easy to spend hundreds on dolls that I did not need compared to other things in life. The frivolity of youth, maybe? Haha.

4. I do like shopping, and always have -- it's just always been for specific things, usually books and hobby items. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm a shopaholic, but I have put more $$ into my dolls/doll stuff than most of my other hobbies and am more willing to spend a lot of money on one item. I guess it's a matter of prioritizing my funds, and dolls tend to win out over other stuff.

5. I don't like buying things nearly as much as I like RESEARCHING buying things. Reading company reviews, doing cross-comparisons for prices with other companies, making a list of ten possible wigs and then narrowing it down to one... I only buy like a twentieth of the things I research buying, if that much.

6. This is exactly the way I am! I love researching and researching and researching to the ends of the Earth. I have a tab on my browser marked "Doll Shops" that is miles long ... and I've bought from maybe five of them. I buy dang near everything secondhand here on the MP -- my four dolls included -- and whatever I don't buy is commissioned by someone here.

BJDs have turned me into a bit of a shopaholic, but mostly because I get so much joy out of my dolls than I do nearly anything else. My other expensive hobby is performing at renaissance festivals, which gets pricey from gas alone. However, that's the other place where I enjoy my purchases more than anywhere or anything else. In real life, no one's going to care about my $50 dress, $100 boots, $25 hairpiece, $45 comic-print umbrella and the colour of the laces on my shoes ... but performing out at the festival, I'll have people visually picking over each and every accessory I'm wearing. They'll ask me where they can get one too, if they can stand and have a picture taken with me, can they touch my bodice, can they touch my props, "is that a real lantern??". I'll come home and find out somebody took a picture of my parasol with "Silent as the grave" written on it (which is still my profile picture!) or snapped a picture of my boots or my necklaces and bracelets or with a caption that "watching Death dance made my day" -- things like that. That just doesn't happen in real life.

This view definitely carries over to my love for researching and shopping for BJDs. That $30 for that purse or wallet? Psh -- I'd rather buy new pants for my boy or a new bone bracelet at the festival. The reason dolls win most of the time is because the festival is typically only once a year, where my dolls can look gorgeous all year round! :D

7. hahhaah, thats nice. seems like majority of you were shopaholics before. but man! dolls are really expensive!

8. Well I must say, that i love to shop for my dollies. I´m not that into shopping, when I need to get things to myself, but for dollies it's much nicer. And it's so easy as well, trough the internet. Especially in different dolly forums where you meet people that are so gifted with making clothes, you et such nice things in lower prices than what you would have to pay to the dollcompanies. So yes, dolls have made me a shopaholic :D

9. Not for me; I prefer to make my doll items. :]

10. lol I used to be a great collectaholic (and truely I still am).

I do not love shopping for myself at all,
      but since I bought my first doll I have been shopping more and more, not so much for clothes though,
      I seem to be crazy about eyes and wigs lol

11. I was spending money waaay before I knew about these beauties. I've always been a bit of a shopoholic.

12. agree!!! ~_~

13. Nah, I just have one more person to look out and buy clothing for now. ;)

14. I've always been of the mentality that money is for spending...but BJDs dictate what I spend on now! If I'm not buying things for my dolls, I'm most likely splurging on books I want to read and DVDs for my film library. That isn't to say I'm constantly low on funds (I'm the type to save before I really spend), just that my dolls take up all my shopping now.

15. I window shop a lot for my dolls... I don't buy super often and constantly talk myself into sewing projects I'm not skilled enough to do. I don't shop much for non-doll stuff minus art supplies.

16. I haven't bought anything doll-related in two years, save for two wigs last month. I never was a shopaholic and things haven't changed here. Still like to enter shops and just look at what they're selling, though.

17. I must be admit that before i get into BJDs i was a girl without any "girly" features, but now , i find myself become more and more interesting in lace and ruffles.

18. I definitely am shopping alot more now. The other big difference is the move from shopping in store fronts to shopping online since I entered the hobby. And I definitely agree with the comment about alteration of perspective of "expensive".

19. no, I still do not like shopping. But I prefer shopping for dolls against shopping for myself, because it is easier to find shoes and props for doll. For myself i have to visit many-many real stores searching for what I want. >_<
      I'm a shopaholic only when I'm in bad mood )))

20. Shopaholic? Me??

*shoves drawer crammed with custom clothes shut and hides the Big Box o' Wigs&#8482; behind her back*

Oh, no, no, not at all...