1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did owning BJDs turn you into a shopaholic?

Apr 26, 2011

1. Haha! Same here! What "fun money" doesn't get spent on dolls gets spent on renfaire, SCA, and steampunk costuming! The current debate is whether I want to spend the money to attend a steampunk con next month or instead spend the money to order a new doll. :lol: I'm curious which faire/s you perform at? I'm just a playtron at MIRF.
      I've always enjoyed shopping but now the focus is on doll accessories rather than the vintage glassware, Spode transferware, or various other things I have collected over the years. It's more about "the thrill of the hunt" in finding a terrific bargain or unique item rather than spending lots of money, though.

2. Hmm, I don't think so. Before I got into BJDs I didn't have a lot of time on my hands for a job (doubling both theater and marching band along with schoolwork) nor really the need for one as I was still living at home. So I didn't much think about money. And after I moved away, found a job and started buying dolls, sure I was buying more because hey, I had a hobby but a shopaholic? More like BJDs have turned me into a scrooge! Granted, this probably has something ALSO to do with my now being on my own and wantig to prove my independance in caring for myself for a good portion of my expenses, but I am a huge stickler when it comes to money. Sort of counter-productive when I want to shop all the time and have more things that interest me now that I'd like to spend money on, but when when I have the spare cash I'm still extremely finicky. I'd say if the BJD hobby has effected my spending in any way it would be that I DO spend more on a single item than before yet it's attributed to that I pay much more attention to quality than quality now.

3. I am sure as soon as I get a doll I will become a shop a holic for them. I already eat through sites for clothes shoes and wigs. Though I find it funny that I was looking at a pair of boots for $40-50 and was like yea I would like to get those. Then I realize that I am willing to spend that much on shoes for a doll but for myself I would only spend like $10-15 on shoes.
      This goin to be a dangerous hobby. ^_^

4. I guess there really is a tendency to be a shopaholic if your still starting with the hobby. You need to get a lot of clothes, wigs, shoes, eyes, etc. But eventually, you'll also get the discipline to stop and realize that you're already going overboard :)

5. Yep. It sure did.

6. EVERY hobby relies upon and encourages the shopping impulse. Collecting -- Animation art, figurines, trains, plushies, anything. There'll always be one more you want, or something rare that turns up, and some require furniture or cases for storage. Doing crafts? Supplies, media, and if you go to sell it, there are fees for venues or packing supplies and postage. Gameplayer? 'Nuff said. New games and systems on an ongoing basis. Pets? Food, care items, and the ever-imminent vet bills. Going for a classy hobby? I did bonsai. First you buy the plants. Then you need the tools to keep them shaped. Then you need the authentic imported pots. And stands, if showing them. Even passive hobbies like watching tv or movies encourage you to spend - dvds, players, DVD-Rs, cable upgrades, pay-per-views, etc.

At least in this hobby, it's hands-on, photo-up, paint, mod and tweak to one's creative delight. The biggest "bang for the buck", IMO!

7. I was never really one to get things, though I loved to go to stores just to be out.
      Now I enjoy looking at doll clothes, though none of them match my dolls style really.
      Since they don't have a lot, I don't mind getting a couple items at a time. The last time I bought something
      for my big guy was around Christmas. My puki's only had one outfit to share, so I got them both one only just recently.

8. Not a shopaholic by any means, though I do enjoy shopping and consider it a form of entertainment. It's my ancient gatherer roots, I reckon, with a bit of magpie thrown in.

As others have said above, BJDs have just shifted my focus. I balk at spending $75 (or more) on a pair of jeans for myself, but would (and just have) spent twice that on the right doll outfit. I buy finer gauge yarn so that I can knit for the dolls. I'm to the point where I think $50 for doll boots isn't too bad. Also, I have turned into a huge wig slut.

But I'm pretty selective, and not hemorrhaging money, so I think I'll be okay.

9. You're a playtron at my sister faire! I perform at KCRF, mostly in human combat chess match and my fiance and I have guested OKRF, Muskogee is in-process currently and we're hoping to hit St. Louis sometime soon. I'm also really trying to go to Faeriecon in Baltimore in November and that's almost enough to make me stop spending any money. :lol:

See, I went the other way, too; I started combing antique and vintage shops in search for the next accessory that I need to hoard for my dolls and, let me tell you, I've found some awesome stuff!

10. Sadly, no. I was a shopaholic far before I fell in love with my bjds. To me my shopaholic-ness degenerates into obsession at times. For example: I think I have every DQ Slime in existance, and the majority of the Matsumoto Universe, wether in manga, novel or video/dvd/music format... so I can safely say, if I have extra money, it's gone in a heart beat. :) It's only recently my bjds have highjacked my expendible change.

11. Absolutely. I was not a girly-girl too. I loved seeing my bank account with increasing money! I was stingy towards clothes, accessories etc. I never do my hair or put any makeup.
      Ever since having my first doll, I have become a shopaholic! I spend every dollar I could get on my dolls, and start learning about makeup on my own face and do my hair. The dolls let me realize that appropriate makeup and hair style could make any humanoid creature be fantastic or at least, less unpleasant. (But I'm still stingy towards my own clothes while I think $100 for a pretty doll clothes set is cheap!)
      Yeah, all these turn me into a shopaholic! But I love such change :dance

12. Absolutely yes! My current pastimes is looking for clothes, eyes, and wigs for my baby <3

13. It's made me more into shopping, yes. I was already into shopping, more for jewelry and games and other useless objects then clothes, but now I just love it~

ABJDs have also changed my perspective about money. Right now, 200$ actually isn't that much money anymore.

14. Yes, but luckly my shopaholicness is.. repressed because I have not the money, and if I did, I'd be broke very very soon D,:

15. I have to say I liked to shop before but, I can't stop spending now. It's like the little voice says "o go on just one more item (clothing or anything bjd related) it wont hurt" must watch the credit card!

16. As for me, I'm a bit shopoholi&#1089; by nature)) previously I spent a lot of money for clothes and sometimes I thought there are too many of them in my room... but when I came to the bjd-hobby it helped me to re-arrange my spendings)

17. I would have to say owning a doll has made me like to buy things... I used to be so squeaky with my money... then I got my doll and that's all she wrote... heehee :)

18. I am with Galileo, wasn't really a shopaholic before kids and dolls. Now, I am but for kids and dolls, in general, not just BJDs. Everywhere I go, my eyes scan for small little things for the dolls.

So yes, BJDs (and dolls in general) have turned me into a shopaholic. :-)

19. Did BJDs turn me into a shopaholic? Nope. I've always had that issue. But owning dolls that are constantly demanding new clothes/wigs/eyes/friends...yeah it doesn't help my natural tendencies much. XD

20. I'm definitely buying more things online. :doh I've always liked shopping... but now I notice that I'm doing a lot more of it online. I find that it's just more fun buying things for my dolls instead of for myself sometimes... and I'm less picky with their clothes and accessories because I already know what I want them to look like... ><