1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did owning BJDs turn you into a shopaholic?

Apr 26, 2011

1. Not for BJDs, no.

BJDs and their stuff are so expensive. Couple that with shipping costs... I guess wanting instant gratification is a bit of a damper when shopping for BJD stuff.

I have been known to go for things like iTunes stuff, and ebooks. But unless BJD companies opened stores in the malls near me, and everything was cheaper, I wouldn't be able to do it.

2. Hmm, not really, altho I'd like to get more things for my other dolls that don't have as much, or any clothes as my favorite doll. And even if I did become a shoppoholic, it's a good thing I don't have much money to spare on doll extras. :)

3. A little bit, yes.

I don't even want to think about how much time I spend online looking at doll stuff to buy, and it seems to be where most of my disposible income goes.
      But, I don't think it's all bad. Since bjds and their stuff is so expensive I've actually learned to save and plan with my money, I never used to do that. I'm also not sure exactly what I was spending my money on before I got into bjds, I wasn't earning much less, but I wasn't saving tons so I must have been spending it on something. The fact that I can't even trace what I was spending my money on, makes me think I was wasting it on junk I didn't really care about. I'd much rather have it this way :)

4. I've always been a shopaholic. It is just that after I discovered BJD, I just shop mostly for their stuff and less for anything else. :lol:

5. For me, it's kinda the opposite. I used to go to the mall and blow all my spending money on food and a bunch of little things. Now, I window shop a lot more. As for buying for the dolls, I can't afford it that much so I make most of their clothes and only buy the necessities right now. I do find myself splurging at the fabric store, though. Usually in the remnants bin or sales isle, but still.

6. I don't have a BJD yet, but I'm a doll collector in general and yes, I do spend lots of money on shoes and stuff for them... I haven't bought any clothing for myself in MONTHS O.o ... I really should, my two favourite pairs of jeans just got holes in them lol...

7. I don't shop. I hate shopping. If I need something, I go out and get it. But when it comes to doll stuff, somehow, I'm perfectly happy combing thread after marketplace thread to find clothes/shoes/wigs/etc for my dolls. Recently, I just binge-shopped for tiny clothes. OTL What I spent could probably have bought me a whole nother tiny. OTL

8. It's turned me into a window "shop a holic". Thankfully I've always been good at saying "no" to myself, aha XD But I do spend way more time LOOKING at things to buy, that's for sure!

9. Owning bjd's has for sure found many places to spend my 'mad' monies. Every once in awhile I feel a bit guilty about some items that seems a little expensive at the time but that doesn't last long once the items comes in. I'm lucky with props when I find them at the Flea markets, very easy for bjd's to take over a room in the house and slowly want more.

10. A little... I shop a lot but never buy as much as I would want ;3

Though it also changed what I think of what is expensive or not and I just cannot keep myself from always looking for the cheapest option to save, and then I remember almost everything is more expensive then clothing for me :/

That's bad....

11. I guess in a way it did lol. At first I planned for one doll and set eyes, wig and outfit. Now 3 years later I have 4 dolls and a lot of wigs, eyes and outfits XD Pretty often I'll think about how I want to change their look next. I love to dress them up :)

I've always liked online shopping so now when I browse through Taobao I think of things I want to get for myself and my dolls. Though I've always loved shopping beforehand...I always impluse buy on cute things :sweat I guess over the years my focus on what I buy has changed.

12. ....no, and I hope I don't become one

EDIT1: .....yeah, kind of.....but I'm trying to stop myself

13. Yess! I never buy things for myself, and I had saved up quite a lot of money from my job.

Aaand then I bought doll things.
      I'm like "oh this is a good price, I'll just get this one thing and then... oh, look at that..."

:'D

Usually I just bookmark the page or "add to cart" and then never buy it, and later when I come back to it I decide I don't really "need" it after all. It works!

Edit: Typo!

14. No I've always loved shopping :lol: I do lots of 'imaginary shopping' online where I look at lots of things I want and add them all to my basket and then when I'm done I just close the page without buying any of it. I haven't got enough money to buy all the things I want (and I doubt I ever will, it's never ending lol) but I still enjoy window shopping

15. I was already one. It made me 10x worse.

16. I almost feel as though I have a child xD before I would always buy cute little things for me, be it clothes or makeup or figures. Now when I have money I spent every penny of it on my dolls, I just don't feel the need to buy anything for myself anymore.. It's quite strange o _0..

17. Nope, BJDs haven't changed my spending habits at all. I think it's because I have such clear concepts for them, and most of the stock stuff out there (especially clothing) just doesn't work at all, so there's nothing for me to impulse buy. What stops me impulse buying eyes and wigs is the price - in order to justify shipping costs, I prefer to buy in bulk, which means saving up.

18. I also do the "buying in bulk" thing. Especially for buying things where customs becomes an issue.

... Unfortunately that doesn't stop me from looking. |D I'm a window-shop-a-holic.

19. I've always been a window shopper and that has gotten worse since discovering the world of BJDs, but thankfully my actual spending hasn't been affected too much. A good thing too, since Christmas is coming up and I need to save that money for gifts!

20. In some cases yes. I have others hobbies like lolita that give me the urge to buy new things. In the past I've done the same thing with art/drawing. Right now I'm trying to not spend all my money on dolls (except for one I'm paying off with layaway). I have an incomplete doll at the moment that needs an outfit,wig,faceup(the works!) so my plan is to try to sew/make his clothes to save money rather than buy a $60-100 outfit. It's been hard though believe me...