1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did owning BJDs turn you into a shopaholic?

Apr 26, 2011

1. I've never been a heavy spender and am by nature a penny-pincher. I remember when I played The Sims avidly when it was still relatively new, and the way I played then reflected my habits exactly; I'd buy all the cheapest items with the best stats for what I needed, regardless of how it looked together, and I saw no point at all in many of the decorative objects or expensive wallpapers with no obvious functions XD .

I was never interested in buying myself clothes, jewelry, or make-up, and all my shoes now I've had for years, are hand-me-downs, and most of them have holes now XD . I did gain a big interest in lolita fashion for a time, and asked my parents for a dress and petticoat for my prom night, instead of the typical... prom-ey dresses. But the expense was too hard for me to justify, especially without a job, so that hobby kind of died there XD .

When I discovered BJDs, a big appeal was that I was hoping I could enjoy lolita fashion and other fashions I admired without spending the money on the clothes for myself! Haha, but by now when I go back to look at lolita clothes it looks a lot more affordable XD ! BJDs have definitely skewed my sense of money, as I look at other things I want and start thinking things like "$100 is nothing" @_@ . I do spend a ton of time windowshopping on BJD sites now, and jeez, I'm more concerned about getting shoes for my dolls than myself when I actually need new ones XD . I made a bunch of BJD-related purchases recently, and that makes me think "what am I spending?!", but when I look at a lot of other hobbyists I give myself a small thank-you that overall I think I keep a good lid on spending.

I do want to be careful from now on though. I realized I've collected a lot of things for my dolls that don't really work, and now it's a hassle trying to get rid of it all for stuff that actually works for them. I don't want to impulsively buy things that I don't plan to keep in the long-term.

<3 ali

2. on the contrary lol, i learned that iam capable of saving large amounts of money if i really want to XD!!

3. I was a shopaholic long before BJD's!

4. I buy a lot of fabric now. And beads, paints and tiny findings....crafting things mostly to make dolly scale stuff and clothes.
      I'm always finding interesting fabrics now that I have dolls.

5. I'd say probably so, at least as far as doll items are concerned. I still don't shop much on the areas I did not before; now I have an interest that is limited to dolls.

6. Your not the only one I did this wit my first msd now I am an addict especially since I only own two dolls

7. I was before the dolls. Still am. Maybe that can be a goal for 2013, to cut back!

8. I definitely shop more online than I used to... I wouldn't necessarily say that I am a shopaholic though. I'm more of a window-shopper ;)

9. Oh definitely! XD I never used to shop for myself, now all I do is shop for dolls XD

10. I've always liked shopping, even when I was a kid. I would love to go to different stores with my mom and we would buy the most random things and clothing. Since I've gotten into dolls though, I usually only buy doll things/dolls. Of course I still buy DVDs, video games and the occasional CD (or music on Itunes) when I want to but I buy less clothing and shoes for myself. I think more about money now though. "So if I buy this (item that I don't really need) then I won't be able to use that money for (doll/doll item)"

I suppose it's better that way because I don't necessarily have more things, but I do spend more money in general.

11. Ever since getting interested in bjd's I find myself turning to browsing for bjd clothes for my soon-to-be doll :) It's funny (and frightening) how much bjd clothes (and other accessories cost than the things we use for ourselves ><)

12. My large video game and shoe collection attest to the fact that I was a shopahollic even before bjds, they've just made me more aware of what my money is going into.

13. I have never been able to save my money, ever since I can remember I spend all my money on stuff I love. Since I am in the BJD hobby I spend everything on dolls but I have done it before, too^^

14. I had always been a bit of a shopaholic, but discovering dolls gave me more of a focus :lol:

15. A bit of both for me I guess.
      I started saving up money with a passion, but I also go 'window shopping' a lot more than I used to, I hate shopping for myself and only buy clothes and shoes if I really need new ones because it's a hasse, hardly anything fits the way I like it X'D
      I'm not an overly girly type of woman ...
      But now with my doll I tend to go to shops or markets to look at stuff I can use sewing or making accessorys for him, and if I see something I believe I can use I just have to buy it. XD

16. I think so, but then, I might have always been a shopaholic... just a poor one at the time. ^^;
      In terms of personal items? Yes! I used to buy cheap clothes and I didn't really care about my appearance or the way I displayed things in my home. But I realized along the way that I was spending more money on doll clothes than on my own, and that had to change. So I upped the quality of my own outfits. My appearance did gradually improve, too -- I realized I wanted to represent my hobbies and myself in a better light than what I was doing, so I started taking care in how I present myself. This meant even nicer clothes for me! Heheh.
      My dolls also helped me to unlock the person who was hiding under anime boy shirts and cheap old jeans. The crazy, pink-loving, Lisa Frank inspired koka from my childhood came forth, and took over adult koka's life. I'm much more adventurous with style now, and I love trying new things, so I spend more money on art and design for my living space. I'm still working hard to create a nice area for my dolls to be on display!
      In terms of doll stuff, YES, a million times yes. I honestly don't know what I'd be spending my money on if it wasn't for my quarterly crobidoll order or the etsy binges or the dolls themselves. Maybe I'd have a better savings account? XD

17. yes T^T i never buy expensive clothes and stuff for myself but my bjds' clothes are wayyy more expensive than mine.

18. I don't think BJDs have made me become more of a shopaholic, but they have made me become more of an impulse buyer :sweat

19. I've always been one to spend money immediately after getting it, but after I recieved my first BJD I began spending money on them as well as me, but none of the items I've bought them so far have been that pricey, nothing over twelve dollars!

20. In a way yes. i am always window shopping now. I used to just be all like... wheres a moshpit when it came to my $ being spent it was on shows. now i keep thinking 100$ that's a tiny bobobie and all my $ thoughts are oriented with what doll costs what lol. I think if i had $ to spend i'd really be a shopaholic now.