1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you ever buy a doll and just hate it?

Sep 25, 2008

1. I did a trade once for an MSD Schulze and I immediately disliked him. I feel bad saying it, but I just didn't care for that face at all!!!

There have been others, but this one was the first so I guess that's why it stands out!

Raven

2. Only once... The AS Gabriel I mentioned recently in another thread.
      I took her out of the box, took one look at her, and packed her right back up.

Though I've had a few dolls previously that I didn't get attached to... or even especially like-... right away, that Gabriel is the only one so far that I've just put down and walked away from right off the bat. She was cute enough, but completely and absolutely the wrong girl for me. :ablah:

3. Hated a whole doll or a head? No. I've gotten dolls that didn't look right for a character or didn't fit in with the group but that's all.

Hated a body I bought for a floating head? Oh yes! That Domuya flexi body was out of here so fast!

4. nope love all my resin even i few i wasn't sure i'd like when i got them. and had not a clue what to do with them, but they clicked quickly and now it's love. lol.

5. My first doll was rushed and I didn't look at other companies. =/ I was such a n00b. My Volks SD Nono never really bonded so she sits at my friend's place most of the time. ><

6. No... I've never sold anybody. They were all bought for True Love. <3

I suppose luck also plays into that, of course: a doll may be True Love in pictures, but the little things like faceup-variants or resin color deviations can really sour a person's taste for something. But I have a nasty habit of forgiving flaws, so nobody ever gets sold-- my apartment is starting to fill up like a Brazilian soccer-stadium.

Even when a doll I utterly did NOT want-- a freaky winged baby angel Rei-Tenshi fetus with its eyes closed-- fell into my house for free, by way of raffle, as soon as he was mine, I don't know what happened to my hate. As soon as the shock wore off, I was in love again. :whee: I can't resist creeps and misfits and vagabonds! What a hopeless sap I am! *sigh*

7. JennyNemesis wrote:
      LOL That's one of the hazards of True Love.

I just had one that I got so frustrated with I gave her to someone else to sell. She was a mistake since I hadn't done my homework, and bought from an untested company..and I had no idea what I was doing! It was a learning experience, though:(

8. Haha this reminds of a doll weirdsparkle (my partner) had loved for all the time she knew about dolls. She loved looking at pictures of it, and thought it was the greatest and most beautiful thing she had ever seen. But, she never got one because of its size.
      The one day one was going cheaper than usual on the marletplace and I said, why dont you get it? Get it out of your system! It could be the lovliest thing to do for yourself. Before this happened I even planned on buying one for a birthday...but thankfully didnt at the last minute.
      Because as soon as she pulled it out of the box, put a wig on it, she said, 'I am NOT keeping this!'
      She really hated it in reality!
      Sometimes its one thing looking and admiring pictures of a doll and another actually owning it.

9. i didn't hate the doll, err, rather...the doll hated me :sweat
      there was something in his eyes, resentment maybe? now i sound crazy. it's a shame because he was my dream doll, the first doll i had ever seen and immediately fell in love.

it must be horrible finally getting a doll in the mail, opening the box and pulling this exact expression: :horror: followed by "omg...it's hideous!"

10. I've had 2 dolls that I really didn't like when I got them even though I loved their pictures on their respective company sites when I ordered them. The first was Dollzone Celine - when she arrived I knew she wasn't for me. just felt wrong.

The other one was DOD Ducan. He's SO gorgeous on the company site pics and his face up was just beautiful but I couldn't get over his sticking out ears or the DOD body which I really disliked after having only CP boy bodies around. I felt guilty but I sold them both on here and I hope their new owners love them. I realised later that they both were very 'set' characters already when they arrived and I've realised I prefer to create my own from scratch and sort of have more unique resin kids that are more from me and not so determined by the company. So it was a good lesson to learn I guess!

11. I have never just flat out hated a doll.. usually it's a bit of shock that they aren't what I expected, and I have some trouble bonding. When I got my Dollfie Dream, I loved her body.. but hated her face. That led to a ton of different faceups and makeovers for her.. I tried everything. I even tried modding the face, but in the end I just couldn't love that weird pinchy nose and so I just took it off of her body. The head is in no condition to sell, but I'm currently replacing it with something I will like much better.

12. Nope.Although i was sort of asked to buy it.
      but yet i also think that i love her so much.
      and i cant ever bear to sell her

13. I once bought a big boy doll that I was not wildly in love with because the one I really wanted was out of production. When he arrived, I realized that he would never be an adequate substitute for my dream doll, so I sold him. I learned a valuable lesson from buying him, though. I absolutely will not buy a doll unless they have the "wow" effect on me.

14. Yes. Back when I was still trying to find just the right mini for my crew I'd ordered a DOD Yen. The pictures made that doll look absolutely adorable and after much deliberation I decided he would be the right 'one'. I had to wire transfer to get him, since at that time DOD didn't take paypal and their card thing was all sorts of unstable. Paid extra [nearly 100 something in fees alone just to send a wire] and then began the long wait.

I waited over 8 weeks for that doll, I was so excited just to be getting him and when he finally came... I just hated him. His head was smaller than my Leeke Honey's head [who was half the size of an MSD] and his face was all squished near the bottom. His eyewells were so deep that they looked like shelves and the body and over all lack of posing ability killed me. The resin quality was also a bit on the cheap side when compared to my [at the time] Volks, Leeke and CP. I was so disappointed after all that time of waiting but attempted to make him work anyway. No matter what faceup I put on him, his shelf eyes kept throwing me off [and this was when I was still in the beginning stages of the hobby, so modding was an unknown to me back then]. No matter what wig I put on him, it wouldn't fix his tiny head syndrome [regular MSD wigs were too big and would shift and show wig cap]. No matter what angle I tilted the camera, all the issues with his squishy little face were glaringly obvious. I have this huge thing about proportion and he was 20 shades of off so that also killed it for me as far as he was concerned.

I was so disappointed and just couldn't get over all the flaws so I ended up selling him pretty quick. Even with the few dolls I've sold throughout the years, I don't think there's been another that's been that bad of a disappointment and dislike for me.

15. I adore each and every one of my dolls, fortunately. I'd feel awful if I bought one and didn't love it!

16. Not really, but I did have trouble bonding with a doll.
      She took 3 months to arrive and the wait was very stressful as the money had left my account but not gone to the company as they had changed their payment method, I waited a month for my banks to refund the amount. It was really hard getting them to help. The company was mostly great, saying it was fine and they would hold the order as I am a good customer, then I'd get a different person answering me saying 'Where is the money? We are we will cancel the order!' I had dread sitting in my gut for the whole 3 months. I really didn't think I'd be getting her. She finally did arrive but too near to Christmas for me to plan and buy things for her. She looked nothing like the character I'd planned her to be and it took another 3 months before she did. I never hated her, but bonding was so hard I kept thinking should I have just cancelled the order as I didn't love her the way I should of and I felt bad for that, it wasn't her fault. Also her headcap magnet fell out pretty soon after getting her so I couldn't handle her without it falling off. She was tough to love. But we've struggled through. :)

17. Not 'hate', but I once bought one, opened the box, and immediately thought, "why did I buy this one?" I gave her a week and then sold her. My feelings didn't change, so it was her time to move on.

I'm glad to say she is now in a very happy loving home. :celebrate

18. My first BJD was a tan Hound. He's moved to a new home, but not because I hated him. He was just too big after collecting 16" fashion dolls.

I *hated* my two OrientDoll winged tinies from the monent I first got them. Real shame I didn't just return them to the store. They looked sooo cute in the closeup photos, but I never look at them at home with a zoom lens. Their bodies had lots of joints, but they were extremely limited in range of movement.

The one doll that I absolutely loathed from the minute I opened the box was my Dollzone tan LinLan. The DZ 60cm girl body is so nasty-fugly. She had a nice face, and the hands were graceful, but that body was just awful. I had her listed for sale within 24 hours.

There other disappointments, and dolls I sold off to afford a different size range, and others that I had to sell to get out of financial trouble (still working on that). I guess I'm somewhat lucky that the ones I couldn't stand were wither inexpensive, or sold off quickly.

Russell

19. A Shiwoo I recieved. I waited three months, and when I go him out, he was so not what I wanted =/ Months later I sanded off the horrid patch of rough resin that ruined his face-ups, made his nose softer and sanded the stains off his eyes, and sold him - to someone who loves him to bits! ^__^ So he found home eventually <3

20. I've had lots of frustrations with dolls because they either weren't what I was expecting right out of the box, I couldn't get their faceups right, or they didn't have the right wig/eyes/clothes. I don't know why I thought I'd ever be able to do a puki's faceup by myself. *_* They're still sitting in the doll cabinet faceup-less after two attempts.

I've been frustrated, but I've never outright HATED a doll I've bought. I give myself a bit of time, attack the problem from a different angle, try a new wig, attempt the faceup one more time. But once it all falls into place, it's absolutely lovely. :D

I do have the 08 Man event head that I'm not too thrilled about that I may eventually sell. But for now he's sitting with the other floating heads wearing a silly hat. I need bodieeeeees~ :chibi