1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you ever buy a doll and just hate it?

Sep 25, 2008

1. I hope you are happy with your mermaid when she arrives. Hang in there with finding the right wig and outfit for your little Mei. Sometimes it takes awhile and what WE think will work, doesn't. sometimes what works is very different from the vision we have for them.

2. I do too much research to hate the whole doll. I have problems w/certain sculpts, bodies, etc. My Implehouse Camille's eyes are SOOOO tricky to get right w/o making her look like some maniacal creature, & she won't sit properly. IH EIDs ~sigh~ I look at that post about posing them, try to get mine to do it (feeling a bit sordid, as if I'm following a Tantric manual LOL), doesn't work or looks funky ~blah~ But then just look at the gorgeousness & don't care LOL My Souldoll Kay is done to look like an old guy so the sloping shoulders don't bother me at all on him but I'd never get a SoulDoll body for one of my young hunky characters.
      I guess I've not had any trouble adapting to the individual characteristics of my dolls, because each one I've gotten has looked like the character they are shelling.

3. I think you hit the nail on the head here. There's usually something to love, something to hate with almost all of them. I just got a Mecha Angel. LOVE the sculpt. Hate the way he poses. The body mechanics are terrible. But he is so beautiful I wouldn't part with him, even if he refuses to do what I want him to. I've had other dolls that pose perfectly, but the sculpt was not breathtaking. So like with people, you take the good with the bad and make the most of what you have to work with.

4. To me dolls cost quite a bit of money and most bjd companies don't accept refunds, so I sure as hell better like it! I've had frustrations with dolls due to their posing abilities but it was their face sculpt that drew me to them in the first place so I can get past that flaw. Dolls that I did end up not liking and selling are those that were bought on impulse and somehow just didn't work with me. -_-

5. Yes. I've sold my AIL Elijah, because I cannot recreate his character (not the right clothes, not the right wig, ect...) And it was... Frustrating. After that, I was so down, and I figured out that I really liked the mold, I really liked the character, But I had to get rid of the idea to associate both.. So I've purchased an other AIL Elijah, And now, I'm in love with him ! :3 He has the same name, the same type of wig, but hey, he wears what he want to wear! -what's cute on him, so XD-

6. Yes, and it's extremely frustrating when that happens. i am very picky about my dolls and several times i received a doll that looked nothing like company OR owner pictures...at least from my POV. these aren't necessarily ugly dolls i'm even talking about - many of them are aesthetically "nice" or "perfect" - but i know when a doll is definitely not for me.

7. I have received dolls that I've not exactly 'hated' but that I've found it very difficult to love. I generally do loads of research before actually buying a doll, looking at photos on Flickr and on here, as well as asking questions of owners as well as the company themselves.....but sometimes despite all that a doll will not be what I expect....
      I did all of the above with my Iplehouse JID Asa in real skin, but when she arrived her face up was so different from what I'd ordered that I thought the company must have made a mistake. They told me that no, the faceup types shown on their site are "just a general idea...." She was a lovely doll, good quality and very pretty, but just not what I'd been looking for so I had her adopted. :(

8. Hate's a reeeeeeeeally strong word. I had one that I didn't like. I bought a Pipos Baha here on the MP and I desperately tried to make him work. A couple of people at a meetup I went to had them and I really liked theirs. In the end, I just wasn't happy with his posing, or his body shape, or his resin color. Eventually, I sold him. Thankfully, he's well-loved by the sweet girl who bought him from me.

Other than that, the other two I got exceeded my expectations. I originally thought I wasn't going to be as happy with my AoD, but now he's the best doll I could have asked for!

9. I actually hated my 2nd doll (DZ) right from the moment I got him out of the box. I got him from the MP and he was really not as great looking as in the pictures I had received. And on top of that he seemed really bulky...After many different wigs, eyes, styles and whatver I still did not like him. So I gave him a final chance. If the new face up didn't do it, he had to go.
      Luckily for him it turned out okay. He still remains a bit difficult to work with sometimes, but I guess that's the way he rolls :3nodding: