1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you ever buy a doll and just hate it?

Sep 25, 2008

1. I'd feel so guilty if I sold a doll, regardless of if I hated it (though I've never hated a doll before, only disliked). If this happened to me, I think I'd offer it up to my mom (for free or a drastically discounted price), so to keep it in the family, and if she didn't want it, then might resort to selling it... But, I'd still feel guilty...

2. I/ve never hated a doll after recieving it, but there are some that I sort of fell out of love with & sold. One doll I sold right away (SOOM Sabik) just because he was too tall & skinny for my taste. I don't feel guilty about it because, well, they are dolls......And I know they will make the new owner happy.

3. I'm still having some issues bonding with Libra. I love him, but I think it's his faceup... so I'm working on learning face-ups so I can 'fix' him.

4. i must change mine, i just bought 3 heads on ebay (wanted the des the other two were just extra) and i think the other two are cute, however they really aren't for me. :( so gonna sell/ trade one and give the other to a friend. since her boyfriend is taking her one and only doll head and using it in a trash sculpture :/

5. My first doll I started to dislike and realised (thankfully before i considered selling him) that his character was all wrong! So he's talking a majour overhaul =)

My second doll is on his way and I'm actually really worried that I wont like him, or he won't fit his character...I'm hoping for the best

6. I love my Iplehouse JID. I just hate that she will not sit upright without some effort or propping up. I am hoping that some hot glue and/or wire work will fix that. It may even be that where the string is too tight. But I will need to take her apart to find out. Bit of a nuisance but it will be a learning experience.

7. yes, once I bought a doll and just couldn't bond with her. It was a beautiful mold, super popular but she did not do it for me. I sold her, and the new owner is so happy. I get pictures all the time.

~Gus

8. There were some dolls I just didn't bond with, and there were others that I simply detested, and as a result, made me dislike all my other dolls as well and even consider leaving the hobby! (Once I sold the head, I suddenly remembered how much I loved my other dolls.) They were both for a specific character, for whom I still can't find a mold.

9. I've bought dolls... and as soon as they came home to me I knew that they weren't what I wanted. But I always try to give them a chance before making a rush decision... most have grown on me, but there were a few that I just couldn't bond with, so I sold them. I'd never sell a doll that I have had for a while, and have bonded with tho... but I think that when a doll first comes, if it's not what you wanted, then re-sell it and buy one that you will be happier with.

On a side note... one doll that I bought and instantly didn't like, I tried for 3 months to bond with, but just couldn't so I sold him... well I see him all the time at conventions, and I know he's happier in his new home (plus I get to visit, so it's nice). No regrets at all... :)

10. There are dolls I've hated, but not out of the ones I own. ^^; Some sculpts are just so bizarre to me, and I can't ever dream of owning one. That isn't to say others would love to own it, so if somehow I came into owning one such doll, I'd be sure to find it a good home.

11. My first doll- an SD sized girl. I LOVED the pictures and to this day, I LOVE looking at pictures of her she is absolutely gorgeous. But when I got her- I just knew she wasn't right for me. I gave her sveral months, to bond, and it just didn't work. So I sold her- and she's in a great home now where she's loved. I love looking at her new owner's pictures of her, and still think she's beautiful but am glad I don't own her anymore. The second SD sized girl I got I loved her dearly..but I just..couldn't bring myself to put any effort into her. I showed her to a friend of mine who fell for her immediately and let her buy her from me. I know now that SD sized girls aren't right for me. So now the only girls I buy are tiny sized.

12. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who took one look attheir new doll and thought "no way!". It's so jarring to have happen - especialy when it was my first doll.

13. After I got my Bobobie Pandora I really didn't like her :sweat I did feel a little bad for buying her because I made such a fuss about her, but luckily she went to a good home. There's a young girl here in town who really wanted a dollfie so baldy so I sold my Pandora to her, I don't feel guilty about buying the doll at all now because she's with someone who loves her.

14. The only ABJD that comes to mind for me is my Yamanaka, who's a Volks FCS MSD Sunlight boy. First off, I don't hate him, but he didn't thrill me when I opened his box the way I hoped he would. I think its because I ordered him on impulse, without any pre-planning, and then felt kind of guilty over the whole thing afterwards. So although I've had him for over a year now, I've only recently begun to enjoy him. It took buying getting him a different wig from Volks during Dolpa NYC 3, and new pair of eyes at a doll meet this past Summer. I did think about selling him, but I just couldn't because it somehow felt like a defeat after all the time Volks took with me while I was placing the order. And now, two years after the fact, I'm finally getting happy about having my boy Yam. Sometimes, it just takes time to fall in love I guess. ;)

Juli DC :)

15. I'm pretty worried about this actually, since I have a habit of expecting more than there is >.>;; (like the last Harry Potter book, I waited so long to read it, that when I did I was quite dissapointed with how it ended...since I was expecting better)

I know deep down, that I'll love my boy either way x3 Its just nerves I think...

16. The first doll I got, I had such a huge hassle getting him from the company, that I really resented him for a while. I'd ordered my Mythdoll Little Leroi JUST as the company was going defunct, and it took months of broken promises on their end, and threats to report them to the internet crime division from me to finally get him shipped out. When he came here, I found several things I didn't like about him... his head is small, it was pudgier then I thought it'd be, his head is set too far forwards on his neck, which is a bit thick, there were gouges in his arms from a bad mold, extra resin on his torso, his ears are too far back, his hands are badly sculpted, his eyewells need to be sanded out more, and all the resentment I had for the company and their treatment of me was focused on him. I felt awful. I'm too sick to work, so all my doll money comes from doing chores for my parents, babysitting a rabbit, and other such things, so it takes me a LONG time to save up for a doll.

But... over time, I found myself liking him more and more. I took him and sanded his seams, minimizing the gouges in his arms, and the extra resin on his torso, I sanded his cheeks down, and I plan to sand his eyewells out, and find some replacement hands for him. Now, I couldn't think of parting with him... the money I'd get for him wouldn't be worth it in my eyes. I still don't think he's right for the character I had in mind, but I plan to keep him around, just as a different character.

Also, I recently bought a Puki Pipi... She looked so teeth-rottingly adorable in all the pictures I'd seen, and I had bought another doll from Fairyland and had been very satisfied with their customer service and quality. Waiting for her wasn't the horrible hair-pulling experience with my first two dolls, and maybe that should have been the first clue. Sure, I squeed at the tiny thing when I opened the box... But I just haven't been able to bond, she's too tiny, too light, and I can't put a character on her... she's just a doll. I've tried everything I can think of; doing her faceup, sewing clothes, carrying her around... I just can't bond. I look at her, and I just feel cold.
      So, she's going to be sold, hopefully she'll find a home with somebody who will love her a lot more.

I've learned that I HAVE to have a character thought out, well in advance of getting the doll, as well as the fact that anything smaller then a Yo-SD/Bambicrony/Honey Delf/etc is just too small for me. I'm planing to use the money to buy the head of a character I've wanted for a long time, and love.

17. As someone that has yet to buy her first doll,i gotta say,the scenario of me ending up hating the first doll i buy...Is quite frigthening...I think thats partly way i joined this forum,so i can get a better view of all the diffrent dolls that excist out there...So far i have just decided that she well be a girl and nothing more...

18. Well, I'm not sure I can hate a doll. Before Arisa came, I tried looking at other dolls that would suit me, but they just didn't feel right.

Arisa was the only doll that I was commited to get. When you feel that spark, you know when you're getting the right doll. Call it instinct, but I haven't been disappointed with my choice.

19. When I got my Lati Red I was totally frustrated and disappointed. He was strung so tight he was basically unposeable, and his head was tiny. He had a beautiful face, but I didn't like his body and he looked absurd with my other 60cm doll. I ended up deciding that I'd rather stick with MSDs and sold both of them.

20. I think I won't ever sell a doll. Even though I won't like it, I had thoughts about it when purchasing. I fell in love with it (otherwise I won't buy a doll) or at least it's photos and if it's just a single head/body I would have been even more sad because I planned it for a body/head and so both would be "useless". :(
      Happily Mayou was as I imagined. ^^ She just looked like on the photos and is just lovely! ^^

Laoky