1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you ever buy a doll and just hate it?

Sep 25, 2008

1. Nope, and it would terrify me to think of that ever happening...

2. I couldn't imagine. It would make me sick.

3. Yep. Sold him in a week. He looked totally different to the default pics (without that faceup, anyway) and just wasn't what I wanted or expected at all. Beautiful, but just... not... right.

4. Oh definately. I bought a doll and hated it. But it was a cheap-o doll I bought to experiment on, so that's to be expected. What I didn't expect was for my hate for this doll to grow each day. I bought it to practice mods, but I had to do soooo much work on it to get it looking (and functioning) decently that it made me resent the doll. And the mods I did weren't the mods I wanted to practice anyway. I don't and never did think of it as "my doll" it's just a random thing really. I ran out of mr white surfacer right as I was almost done with the doll, so it's been sitting in parts for about 4 months.

5. ive got a head i thought i could bond with...but that didnt happen, so i gave it to a friend who said she'd like to have a go. 2 months later i get a call " ive done everything to it, ive painted it, wiged it, gave it at least 20 different eyes. i hate him" shes a gore mongrel so when she gave him back i wasnt surprised that she had modded him and made him all bloody. i just hope i can sell him off to some one who will like him. i really do feel bad for the poor thing :( *hugs the bleeding fool*
      expect to see him in the marketplace...tomorrow.

6. Yep.

And I knew for sure how little I cared for him when, within hours of arriving, he fell backwards and his head-cap fell off and an eye fell out... and I didn't care. If it had been any of my other dolls I would have probably experienced heart palpitations, but as I... uh... wasn't feeling the love I just grabbed him, stuck his eye back in and his head-cap on and... ignored him for a couple of months before selling him and replacing him with yet another Delf.

7. I'm having problems bonding with an Obitsu right now. I don't hate her and in fact when I first got her body I loved how she held a pose! But I just got a new head for her and although it's quite lovely I can't quite make a connection with her. She's based on an original character of mine and I don't think she quite matches what I had in mind. For some reason I think I'd feel terribly guilty about selling her.

8. I traded a doll for a Kid Delf Woori once; mostly because the other party really liked the head I was selling, and I was looking for a mini-sized head for a girl. The Woori was adorable, especially after a new faceup, but the doll just wasn't for me. So it wasn't really hate, just general not-for-me.

9. If you look at owner's pictures of dolls, and really love them even sans Photoshop, then you usually won't be disappointed. I think I had thoughts about selling Azel (the SchA) because a) for six months he was a head until I saved up enough money to buy a Volks' body and b) because I had one doll for over a year when I got him, and I practically couldn't imagine two.

I think Shin (Isao) I fell in love with through his pictures, Azel (SchA) I fell in love with over time, Atelair (FCS) I fell in love with as soon as I took him out of the box, and Melange (Aika U-Noss) I fell in love with as soon as I did modifications on her (granted, she's not perfect yet, but she's getting there).

There's a lot of different ways to like something, but I haven't seen many disappointments unless the doll was damaged/wasn't as described/ the person didn't do that much research.

10. I've had one was pretty but the expression annoyed me a little. I ended up selling them and the new owner was happy, so I'm glad.

One doll I thought I would love, but he arrived severely flawed and missing his faceup, had to be sent back, had to wait again. Its probably the reason I never really got attached to him.

11. (I really did not hate the dolls, it was probably more of a "not the right doll for me")

12. Hmmmm I wont say that it is hate at first sight but there are just some dolls that I dun bond immediately due to various reasons but I try to give myself some time and out of the 2 times, I changed my mind after I gave my doll a new faceup while the other, I just kinda gave up cos it just wont work out no matter what.

13. I was afraid that I wouldn't like my doll when I first got her because I got her insted of the one I had been wanting for a while due to money issues. But she ended up coming in and I loved her right away. Now my only problem is whether or not I'll have favoritsm once I get the doll I had wanted for a while...

14. I'm waiting on my first, I'm trying not to build it up so when I do finally see
      her for the first time I'll be sooo excited! But I got the doll I absolutely
      wanted and loved so I don't expect to be disappointed.

15. Well, it has sort of happened to me twice- but hate seems a harsh word for how I felt. Disapointment seems more appropriate.

The first time was with my second doll. She was a limited edition and I was so thrilled to have actually got my hands on her second-hand. Hoever, when she arrived she was damaged (which the seller had not told me) and then she had a part of her outfit missing, It took months to resolve and just totally ruined the doll for me. I sold her after nearly 3 years of attempting to bond and bought my beautiful Emanuel (DOD Ducan) with the funds.

The second time was again a limited edition but I bought him brand new earlier n July. When he arrived I liked him, but just didn't work out how I wanted. I didn't hate him and tried so hard to bond with him and kept changing his face-up and thinking that maybe it was just time I needed. But, it just seemed he didn't fit in with the rest of my resin babies. I sold him and bought Aki and Aki is perfect and fits right in with the rest.

16. I wouldn't say I hated him... but I bought a Kill_U SP and always thought something was a little off about him, he wasn't as pretty as I imagined and his face wasn't how I expected. I loved him of course and thought I just didn't do a good job on his faceup or something. Actually, what I had and was sold was a Kill_U 2nd, I just didn't notice for a while and he didn't look right to me because he was the wrong mold. :sweat I replaced him with the head I wanted for him and now he's absolutely perfect. His old head is probably going to a friend who loves my doll, so everything worked out in my case.

17. My own DD seemed a little different than on the Volk's page. I think it was the lighting though. :/

18. Ack what a nightmare I cant imagine but I have seen that happen on the baord with other people...

19. Well... sadly this has happened twice with me now.

My first doll, a Kid Delf Ani was basically purchased because 1.) it was readily available, 2.) good friend pricing, and 3.) my friend needed the money...

I never really bonded with her as well as I thought I would have... and now I got an Angell-Studio Gus Girl for my birthday last month and I just can't bond with her, either... I hate to sell her right after I've gotten her, but... you know.

20. Actually I think that those reason were very justified what it boils down to is you were trying to help out a friend :)