1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you ever buy a doll and just hate it?

Sep 25, 2008

1. It kind of happens to me. I bought an AOD tiny Ai Ai, I loved him
      on the picture. But when I get the doll, I was so disappointed.
      I tried two make up, different style without getting to love him..
      Something wasn't right with him......

But the story ends in a good manner. I use the boy body for my
      Leeke soda (with a dress to make a girl). I made a girl body MSD size for
      Ai Ai head, and i fit perfectly! The odd feelng was caused
      by this huge head on a little body, and by the girlish look. Now, I like her!
      A picture of the girl MSD version of AOD Ai Ai

2. Sure did! I bought a Dollzone fullset X & when he arrived I was just horrified. In his promo pics he looked like he had this gorgeous dark Goth face-up but he actually just had some brown smeared around his lid line. VERY disapointing! I even redid his face-up to look more like the promo pic but I never could warm up to him. He's made very wary of Dollzone now & even most of the other Chinese companies which isn't fair, I know, but I just don't want another disaster on my hands. Thank goodness someone in the marketplace loved him so he ended up with a good home after all.

3. I don't actually hate her, but I definitely didn't get attached and I never grew fond of her.. I SO thought I wanted her, but it turns out I didn't... Hasty decisions are no good!:...( Oh, I'm talking about my Volks SD10 Sara. I'm actually selling her right now..

BTW you guys, did someone here buy an SD10 from Tenshi no Sumika? if so, how much did you pay for the doll plus tax? I bought from there too and I COMPLETELY forgot how much I payed..*_* please, it's important, will someone reply?..

4. And I couldn't be happier with her! ^.^ I love her to death!:aheartbea:D

5. I actually have a story about this. I bought an AoD Juli from the marketplace (as a big sister for my DZ Fei). When I got her, there was the usual excitement about having a new dollie in, but after a while, I just realized that I wasn't bonding with her at all. I was in the complete mindset of selling her and getting a different mold, but decided that I should just give her a new faceup and give it a little more time. After her faceup, I just completely fell in love! <3 I am just soo happy that I did not replace her.

6. Oh yes! OHHHH YES! My first MSD was a volks Nasia. I got her for a hell of a deal. I thought I was in love with the face sculpt. I thought, you know, its a Volks, so I;m getting an amazing deal and I love her face.

I got her. And I opened her and was immediatelty disappointed. I didn't name her what I had wanted to name her (Akemi, which was reserved for a doll I'd never get rid of ever), and then I ended up not bonding with her. I felt like everything I did for her looked wrong. It made me so mad!

Finally I decided she just was not working, was not GOING to work, and yeah, I finally sold her at a loss (And even BETTER deal for a Volks Nasia) and now she has a loving home.

But i hated that doll instantlly. And I'm glad she's finally got someone who can love her for what she is.

7. I just got a DIM/AR hybrid off the marketplace. She hasn't been here a week yet, but I haven't given her a name or anything yet. She doesn't have any hair yet and she's getting new eyes, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to bond with her when she's complete, but as of right now, I don't know whether I'll keep her or not. I really hope I can bond with her because if I sold her today, I think I'd still be sad to see her go. So I don't hate her, but I don't love her either. :(

8. I never hated a doll right out of the box. The only one I really didn't get along with was my Soom Onyx. She was pretty and all, but she just sat around without charater or proper name. So I sold her on a few weeks later. I just don't have much with girl dolls. If I had to sell one now my Kaede would be the first to go also.

9. I have one incoming I'm starting to have reservations about... I won't see him until July, but I'm reasonably sure I won't be keeping him, unless he's somehow magically transformed into a bishounen between now and then.

10. I know what you mean.

My first BJD, minRyuichi is a Elfdoll Hana Devil. Don't get me wrong, I love him, but he doesn't fit into my storyline in any way. He's supposed to be 12, but my storylines are all 18+, so he just ends up sitting. [NO SHOTA!:sweat :lol:]

I rarely even take him to meetups anymore, since I'm afraid of losing things off of him. I lost his pillow once while I was out [I carry him around in a sleepingbag, since he's so little] and when I lost his pillow, I panicked! It was eventually found a few days later, but the damage has been done. He stays home and sits in his chair.

If I could, I'd sell him to someone that would actually play with him, but InuYasha thinks he's kawaii and would fuss if I sold him.:doh

Ryu

11. No, not yet. And I really hope I never do. I probably wouldn't be able to hate any doll, really. I think I would just try to make them lovable. : )

12. Nope not yet, but I sure hope that doesn't ever happen! >< Even though I wouldn't like them, it'd be hard to just sell them... 'cause it's like you 'made' them, and then turned out you didn't like them and 'threw them away'... but I think it'd be a better idea that if you really didn't want him/her, then you should sell them because there's alot more people whom really wants them...especially if the doll was limited XD

13. yes a couple of times...the first was a Bobobie Dark tan doll and when it arrived it had scratches on the face near the faceup and white scratches from them sanding it down and not polishing it..it turned my stomach..I contacted Junkyspot {place where I bought it} and posted on the forum which I was also contacted by a Bobobie representative.
      Emory was willing to refund me, and the rep also wanted to take it back and have it fixed..but in the end someone wanted to buy her just as she was so it all worked out. and i ended buying another doll..who, I don't remember..

another doll is an off topic doll I believe.. but she was lilac..and to me she looked like an ugly grey...I could stand to look at her...sold her quickly.

14. For me I wouldn't exactly say hate, more like dislike. I recently bought a Dollti tiny (not naming since he is OT here) and although he is really well made and cute he is just way too small for my liking, still not sure if I want to keep him or not. :(

15. I have a freebie head that came with my girl that I just can't like. I mean, she's cute, and I've seen some minifee DES heads that I think are totally adorable, but her specific structure is just not my style. Tried a face-up, but I think it's her profile that bothers me, I guess.
      Then again, I wasn't expecting her, as I thought my order was before the date they started their summer event.
      I'm thinking of maybe handing her off to my sister, if she likes her when she comes down, or perhaps going ahead* and selling her.
      * no pun intended, really.

16. I was so excited to get my Bobobie Apollo, but was kind of disappointed upon his arrival. He was smaller than I thought he'd be (smaller than my Abio Angel boy, and I'd always imagined his character to be the taller of the two) and I wasn't thrilled with the joints of his body. It wasn't until a few weeks after when he got his own clothes and good wig and right color eyes that I was finally totally happy with my decision to purchase him. Now I love him to death, smaller stature and all! :aheartbea Lucky for me, all it took was a little image tweaking and willingness on my part to just let the doll shape the character instead of the other way around. But I agree with momochu - I really hope I never do end up purchasing a doll that no amount of tweaking could ever make me love.

17. I was very nervous that my doll wouldn't turn out to be what I wanted before I got into the hobby.

I've found that it helps to make a connection with a doll before you get it, if that makes any sense.
      For example, my sister told me to plan everything for the doll I wanted before I got it, so I would know exactly what I wanted. And in doing so, I picked the perfect doll. :3
      I've never been happier with her, either. :D

I've never bought a doll that I wasn't happy with, either. The floppiness of my Bobobie irritates me from time to time, just because it's very hard to take good pictures of a doll like her. The stringing is too thin and she can't hold both of her arms out at once. Ugh.

I've thought of selling her and getting a Puki instead -- better posing, cuter, better made, most likely, too! -- but I could never bring myself to part with her.

18. I don't think I could ever hate a doll, but I have certainly not liked it once it's arrived.

19. I don't think I've ever hated a mold, but I've had experience of recieve and not being what I had in mind. Typically I keep it and try like whoa to change wigs and styles, but if the fit isn't right out they go for something else. I don't feel guilty about it, someone else will love that doll more than I do, right? ^_^

20. Oh good god yes. Sadly I've had that happen a couple of times, once with an Angelregion Jade, then an AR Glow in the Dark, and just about every Bobobie I've ever had. And just recently with my Akando, I really wanted to like him and I tried like crazy once he was here, but I just expected him to be much bigger then he is. And that's totally silly because I knew the size and everything, but oh well >_<