1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you ever fight with yourself

Sep 24, 2011

1. Hahah..I fight myself most of the time..especially now..I've been wanting to buy the new DD Saber Alter, and yet hesitant because of the price and I'm not really a fan of saber..I just wanted teh doll..
      I sometimes feel guilty whenever I pay for my dolls, but since it's my own money and I enjoy having those dolls, I don't mind spending large money on them..as long as I enjoy my hobby..

2. Just like cats, as well. One of my cats scratched a brand new piece of furniture I'd gotten when he was younger. He'll still do it, too, even now that he's a lot older. My other cat will chew plastics. You'll soon discover thousands of little holes in plastic bags if you leave them where she can find them - and she's pretty crafty. She's also sort of tried to chew my doll's hands and feet a few times. Both have had their share of destroying unplugged wires as kittens, too. Then there's the shots, and the constant protection of your stuff. You never think things are in harms way until a baby or small animal discovers them.:lol: That collection of small porcelain figurines in that cabinet never got in the way of anyone in your home. But bring in a puppy or kitten, still getting used to and exploring his surroundings, it becomes a number one place of interest - because there could be toys up there!

That's why they say you should baby/puppy/kitten-proof your home. You never hear of doll-proofing your home, luckily.:lol:

I think that collecting these dolls already puts you in the "eccentric" category, but that's not a bad thing. You don't need to like any anime, either - I can recall seeing a thread dedicated to discussing collectors who weren't into anime at all. The BJD hobby is full of diverse people of all different ages, nationalities, beliefs, etc,. Stay here long enough and you'll see you fit right in. :)

I've never had internal fights with myself on buying dolls, though. I've always liked dolls, ever since I was a kid, and that's stuck with me since then. Sometimes, I have questioned *why* these dolls were so expensive (when I first learned about them), but never have I really felt uncomfortable about buying these dolls.

I do remember, once I finally ordered my first doll, asking myself if I was ready to spend $300 on this. I came up with so many other ways I could've spent this money on - and couldn't because I bought a BJD. It didn't last long, though.

Now I have two.

3. Oh my, I had nightmares the first night after ordering my doll. I woke up sitting straight up with my heart pounding thinking: "Did I really just blew 300 euros on a 16-cm doll?!" And then I realized it was a decision that I made after lots of thinking and wondering, and that yes, I needed that doll to make myself happy. I went back to sleep and never thought about her pricetag again, and now she just makes me so happy.

4. Yup. Every time I order a doll, there'll be that moment where I go "Dang, you're MAD spending so much money on that doll! You could get *list all kinds of other, more useful things here* for that money!" But then, when the doll arrives, that's forgotten. Right now, I'm waiting eagerly for LLT to release their Ludwig - I've totally fallen in love with him and so far, I've succeeded in ignoring that tiny little voice that keeps nagging: "But - you don't really need him. You don't even know where to put him. And he'll be expensive. You know EXPENSIVE!!! How about getting your computer fixed, first, eh? So you can play 'Skyrim' when it's released in November?"

I know I don't need a Ludwig. I also know that, if I don't get him, I'll most likely kick myself later for missing out on that opportunity. It also does help that I buy my dolls only when I can spare the money easily. Or, second option, got enough money saved up in my "use for whatever you fancy"-jar. Right now, I got three of the "big boys" (70 cm range), three small ones (tiny to Realpuki size), two floating heads, one incoming doll-body (again, 70 cm range). *grin*

I'm not the typical doll-collector, either. I'm not into photoshoots. I like Anime but not all THAT much into it, either. I don't cosplay (I prefer live-roleplaying ;)). I write but the dolls are got are from several stories. They're basically "3D-photos" of some of the characters from some of my stories. Basically, what I do with my dolls is have them sit around here in the room, slowly yellowing, sometimes taking them to one of the rare meets here, sometimes taking pics (when they got new wigs or clothes), sometimes watching a movie (mostly horror-movies) with one of them. (Well, it's nice to have something to hold onto while Michael Myers is stalkign Jamie Lee Curtis - again ... *gg*). That's about it. I still think it was worth getting them.

5. I do that. I take a lot of time deciding and during that time, I weigh the pros and cons and sometimes, even though I can afford it, I feel bad spending so much on a BJD so I tend to go back and forth about it and sometimes, it can get a bit tiring. But right now, I'm planning on starting up an Etsy store for BJD clothes, so these dolls are an investment.

6. In the beginning I was also reluctant to start or not to collect dolls, so long ago, in the beginning was single and carefree, now I'm home, children, employment, and tight budget. But the dolls are a way for me to relax, I love dressing, sewing, photographing, creating characters ... it's a time I have for myself and I love it.

At home-Hwang Lee (Luke # 1 DOD), Erik (Don Ringdoll)
      Waiting for Erin-Head (or-Doll) Cherie (Iple house)

7. No-- out of all the fights-with-oneself that life brings, this one isn't one I've had. I am single and childfree and have a good job, so my time and my money and my living-space are all my own. And I love these dolls. I love collecting them, and shopping for them, and shopping for their shoes and eyeballs, and re-styling them, and photographing them, and just looking at them sitting there in the living-room. If I weren't blowing all this time & money on the doll collection, I'd be blowing it on some other hobby that made me happy; it's just that this happens to be what I'm into.

(I should be more honest with myself, though, in one regard: if I didn't spend so much on doll shoes, that money would just be spent at the Fluevog store for myself! ^^ Right now, I think the dolls & I have a fairly even balance of foxy designer shoes for ourselves.)

8. I always argue with my self especially when it's a really expensive doll. Do I really need it?. I guess I don't but if it isn't harm full to anyone or yourself and it adds to your life in a healthy way why not. We all need happy calming thoughts, the dolls do that for me. When it becomes something that is stressful move on this isn't for you.

9. I don't argue; either I can afford a new doll at a given moment, or I can't. If I can't, I wait until I can and don't worry about it.

10. Most of the time now. Since a baby came into my life its really made me question if it's still worth the effort to keep collecting. But every now and again I'm reminded of the joy in brings me when I start to fiddle with them or do a project. My Hubby is the one who keeps me going in the hobby. He says I'll drive him crazy if I'm not doing or thinking of something all the time.

11. Oh it's so funny to find that topic! I'm planning of buying my first BJD, and I'm just thinking all those things you people said! It's so reassuring. *discovers the joys of the BJD community*
      I'm not struggling, but I sometimes wonder what I could do with this money and do I really need her? But I guess this kind of pleasure is not a need.
      But still, BJDs are beautiful artpieces, as you said, it's a sort of collection. What's more, it gives us pleasure, pushes us to be creative, makes us happy..It's anotherway to take care of ourselves, not by buying us brand new clothes (for example), but by buying a BJD. Some people buy expensive watches, cars, or collect buttons; why not collect dollies? Why would that be more eccentric than putting a lot of money in a shiny and powerful car; it's just something that is supposed to roll and take you where you want? Or why is it more eccentric than buying frames? :) (It's just a question of point of view..really relative in my opinion!)
      So anyway, we seem to be a lot in the same situation, so no need to worry! *yay* :)

12. I have argued w/myself over big ticket items (well, perhaps bargained is a better way to put it) my entire working life. BUT I'm retiring now, & having decided that I want to really get into making photo stories w/BJDs, I'm delighted to spend the money I have on this hobby (which covers sewing, photography, dolls, travel to conventions, just about everything I love!)

13. All the time! I never spend money I don't have and never buy on layaway, so it isn't worrying about not having the funds for a doll. It's simply the guilt I feel at spending so much on a doll. I would never allow myself to spend so much on a piece of clothing or even a beautiful pair of boots or even a winter coat, I choke when I have to buy new software for my computer too and yet they are all 'usefull' things surely. What use are my dolls? These things go through my head and I just get freaked out... for a while at least. It doesn't take that long for it to wear off though and another resin beauty comes to live with me!

14. From another daughter's perspective--even moms are allowed nice things (or maybe the term should be especially!) I can't count all the money my own mom's spent on things like candles/jewelry/handbags. Why are dolls any different? (Sure, there's the argument dolls "just sit there"--but so do necklaces. And sure you don't "need" dolls, but plenty of women don't need designer bags, either, but have them. Same with shoes, etc. etc. etc.)

I know it's difficult to spend on "frivolities"--probably even more so if you're a parent. But, if you work hard and won't suffer from the purchase--and especially with dolls, if they're something that will bring you joy and give you a creative outlet (something I think a lot of "typical" adults lack), then that's...great. I mean, that's a lot more than a designer hand bag can do for you! (...I think. xD)

15. Agreed! My Mom has always put family first, taking care of us and buying us things. She has finally gotten to a point in her life where she is doing things for herself and both my sister and I are so happy for her! Seeing her fulfill her own wishes is almost like watching her come to life, I only wish we had encouraged her to explore her interests more before now. It is true, happy Mom = happy family.

I do have small fights with myself sometimes over buying doll things but that is because I already have so much. The fight with myself is more like "Should I buy doll X or by myself new shoes or go to a nice restaurant?" Dolls usually win.

16. I did fight myself, but I always win. ;)
      I did worry in the begining a little, the expense. But I made my decision.

17. I am still going back and forth with myself over whether or not it's something I want to get into, and have decided to buy one small doll to start, and I am going to be starting up some home made jewelry/clay and clothing items to sell online and if I do good with that hopefully it will be enough to put towards more dolls and doll related items. I think also seeing some dolls in person will help me decide. I have been invited to a local halloween get together that I think I will try and make it to. I love to do all crafty things and have really fallen into a rut lately so getting interested is already sparking up some creativity. Thank you all for your replies it's really helping me out and I figure if I buy something, decide I can't get into it or not right now I can just sell it and wait! I just feel guilty. That being said the thought that my DH puts $600 on his car payment each month makes me feel a bit better about wanting to spend that much on something for myself ^_^

18. I fight with myself all the time and I have the bruises to prove it.

But... you should see the other guy!

;)

19. Sometimes I sit there and look at my two credit cards and think...I could sell them all and pay off the credit cards and still have money. I could never do another swap again, never worry about pleasing people (of course, that's because I'm an idiot who worries too much about what other people think), never have to buy another wig\pair of eyes\think about characters and matching\COME UP WITH BACKSTORIES...

I could use the money for a puppy or a kitten...wait...I'm allergic. Dang. But I could do charitable things with it! I already do that...though...when I can... But I should do more and they take so much from me! I should do more and...well...

So I sit there, kicking myself for what I imagine is the HIGH DOLLY LIFE. But it's not really. I have a laptop. A camera. And dolls.

That's basically it. I don't own a television. I don't own a game system (well, I have an old DS I don't play). I don't even own an APP PHONE. I'm sorta boring and basic when you think about it, and my life past my dolls is...well...I don't have one. Everything is my dolls. I make clothing for them and others. I write stories based on their characters (which eventually I will publish if I weren't so slow and lazy). I like taking pictures of them and of places around them, but usually...yes, it involves them or I have them around.

They're my family. Because I can't have a family of my own. Yes, I know I have my parents and my sister's family, but that's not like having your own family that you've made. And this is the family I made. And it makes me happy and doesn't hurt anyone.

So I think I'm good. And a little hungry. [ponders food]

20. I am currently fighting with myself all the time. I know I could afford one doll for a start, but it still seems to be disrespectful "wasting" the money I get from the state