1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you ever fight with yourself

Sep 24, 2011

1. I have been looking at, wanting, dreaming and wondering about BJD's since ever I saw one...and I think that was some 10 years ago....But totally not sure on that one. Tho it has to be atleased 7 years now. And just the other week I bought my first one! And did I have to battle myself? YES!! Cause it still is a big sum of money to spend on myself when theres bills to pay, children to be taken care of and a husband who has some wishes of his own. And then there is this thing with me and hobbies you see, I have too many of them! I seriously like to try out EVERYTHING I see. I stopped going to exhebitions about handycrafts and things cause I just LOVE creating stuff and I wanted to try everything I saw there!
      I want to know how it works, if it works for me.. what I would be able to do with it, if I am able to do make the thing I visualise. So I tried out my fair share of hobbies....bought quit the set of items to go with those hobbies... And half of them ended up never to be used cause I just dont have the time for them all between work, kids and housekeeping.
      And now I wanted to buy an expensive toy?! HOW was I supposed to not feel guilty for that?
      I had soooo many doubts before I went to get her and even when I was standing there and gave the money to my dolls former owner...I nearly felt an idiot to pay that much money for yet again another new hobby! And was so afraid it wouldnt be what I thought it would be...that I would have to sell her again...
      And its not like I didnt put any thought to starting this hobby prior to buying her! But still....
      And since then I have her I have been SO busy with her...making clothes, researching what ever is needed to know about her, searching for stuff I need for her, Thinking up new things I want to make for her... Its a hobby with so many faces... I can put at leased 3 but maybe even more former hobby's in to this one!
      As it turned out I nearly cried when I finally took her out of her box when we drove back home seems I really wanted her!
      Do I feel I finally can justify having bought an expensive doll when I do not have that much money to spend? Sometimes I do...some times I dont. I expect these mixed up feelings will go on for a long time...lay dorment for a while and maybe get worse when I decide I want to buy another doll (erm....Ok I admit I am already thinking about it and looking for ways to save up! But dont tell my husband! :lol:)
      I feel a little less guilty now that my husband (who thinks the whole thing of grownups playing with dolls is absurd) seems to understand a bit WHY I wanted one...sees how happy I am with her and isnt as grumpy over the whole thing anymore. But I am not sure how he would react to another one ;)

2. I do beat myself up over how much money I have already spent on this hobby. Usually when I want/need to make a more practical purchase such as a sofa or some other large and useful item, but then find myself wincing at the price. It worries me that I am happy to spend not much less on a single doll! I worry that my priorities have become skewed somewhere along the line.

3. At the moment I'm waiting for my first doll.
      The first time I was not myself from the idea to give a large sum of money for what I don't know.
      But then I decided that I can't know for sure, if not I'll try.
      Let's see what will happen next.

4. WOW LIFF you sound exactly like me!! Seriously. I am the same way. You should see my crafting area downstairs. I have so many things that I wanted to try and stuff that's just been sitting and not getting used because I had ideas for what I could make and that I could sell them online. But at this point I barely have enough time making christmas gifts because my kids are still needy and by 9PM I am exhausted.
      We have a personality trait that a lot of other people don't have. We are called scanners. I started to read a very interesting book that explains it. Basically people like us can't commit to just one profession or hobby. We like to try bits of everything. A jack of all trades, master of none of you will. And there's nothing wrong with it :) We just like to experience a variety of interests that make us happy. When I remember what the book is called I will tell you and maybe you would like to read it!

I am still waiting for my first on topic dolls to arrive. one is stuck in customs and one is being processed. They will be easier to work with than my tiny babies so I am excited to see how I will enjoy it. I am already thinking about making my own wigs or eyes lol. And if I had the tools and knowledge I would even try to make my own doll!! But that's a bit too complicated and time consuming.

Volchona I hope you enjoy this new hobby for yourself, I am sure you will though and before your first doll is here you will be ready to buy another!!
      I have already been tempted to put a doll on layaway but I have other priorities that need to get paid for (vet bills :( The thought of spending $300+ on a doll doesn't scare me that much anymore!! I am always looking at outfit ideas, jewelry ideas, wondering how I can make my own shoes etc. I am feeling like this will be a great creative outlet for a lot of us despite our inner conscience protesting us!!

5. If I had bought my favourite doll at the beginning of this hobby, I am sure I would have not bought so many dolls. I kick myself over this. Maybe I should just sell my dolls and just keep my fave. I don't know. Looking at getting another doll. What a hopeless position to be in. Stupid dolls.

6. Being a single Mother of two kids and being the cheif earner. I can well understand the delima of spending money. I find I just have to limit my collection, and budget. I started the hobby way back in 2004. Didn't get my first doll until about a year later. Bought the head first, then the body a few months later. I still only have 8 dolls and a few floating heads (Christmas and Summer events). I will be shortly out of work (due to health reasons), so I will not be buying any more dolls for a time. I love the hobby and plan to keep it. But sometimes we just have to slow down. Besides I may only get two more over the years because of shear space limitations in my apartment and the time it takes to maintain them. Everyone has limits, just adapt around them. Besides, its important to spend time, money and effort on you too. Just keep it in balance with lifestyle. Just because some have 100's of dolls doesn't mean you have to follow suit. Sometimes one is all you need, like my daughter. She is happy with her Dreaming El and has no burning need for another. Everyone fancies, but living within one's means and keeping your head is all about succeeding.

7. Oh yes, definitely. Because of the money issue of course, but also whether or not I'll love them when they arrive. When I splurged for my first doll I was freaking out a lot before she arrived but once she go there there were no more worries! I have decided to really look into what I absolutely love before diving in, but I think as long as you put those bills that are a priority first, you can go ahead and dive in!

8. This is actually one of my "hobbies" that I don't fight with myself over. It fufills so many things for me that the amount of money spent just isn't important. For example I've always been interested in photography but never had much encouragement to pursue it until I had my dolls as models. I also write and having physical representations of my characters is invaluable.

I would also say that I am not really a "typical" doll owner if you define loving anime or having a unique style as something that is typical of doll owners. I'm also not into it for the collecting aspect which makes me weird in my own local doll group but in the end it doesn't really matter since it makes me happy :D

9. Sometimes I wonder if I'm really enjoying my dolls enough to justify the $600 each of them cost, and I do question whether I really should be in this hobby. My big problem is that I don't really know what to do with them - I bought them because I liked them, but now I'm not really utilizing them as much as I'd like to. I'm not into OCs or photostories. I am into photography but there's only so much you can do with an indoor studio and I can't take them outside. It also doesn't help that I can't seem to touch them without messing something up. So they end up sitting there, and I feel like I'm neglecting them. At the same time, I look at the doll I have on the way, and other ones I might want, and I get really excited about them, so I know it's not that I've lost interest.