1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you get nervous before your first meet-up?

Aug 27, 2009

1. yeah, i am going to my first doll meet on saturday and i am a bit nervous. but i am going with my oldest daughter....she's 32...so i won't be alone and i think we will have lots of fun. haven't decided yet which doll to take...i'd really like to take akando but he's sooo heavy!
      i hope we will meet some really nice doll people and have a really good time.

2. Oh, of course! I've only been to one so far, and I was shaking and feeling sick and clutching my boy and think 'Oh well, maybe I should just go back to the Dealer's Room instead...!'

But it was really fun for the short while I was there!~ ^w^

3. I think it's just natural to be nervous when meeting new people for the first time; no matter how big or small the group is. I was pretty nervous too during my first BJD meet, and what made it worse was that I was the organiser as well. :XD: It all turned out great in the end though! I've since been to different meets in different cities (and countries!), and have found that people in the doll hobby are generally very welcoming and also very helpful with newcomers to the hobby.

And you generally don't have to worry about any awkward silences too cos if you ever run out of things to say in polite conversation, just bring up some doll-related topic! That'll get things moving again for sure! :)

Good luck and have fun!

4. Yeah, I was really nervous. I'd spoken to the people for a while on the board for the area's meet ups but I get kind of shy when it comes to meeting most people ^^; I kind of sat on my own for a little while then tried to talk to people. I had fun but the 2nd time I went was more enjoyable because I knew who everyone was and referred to things they'd said online kind of. But I still get fairly nervous before a meet even now ha ha. So many people to talk to and so many dolls to remember @_@

5. Don't worry, I was super-nervous, too XD My mom literally had to shove me towards people because I was so scared to strike up a conversation. Thankfully most of the people I met were very nice. One piece of advice I do have to offer is that if you don't like your first meet, don't let it stop you from going to others, especially different groups. My first meet went okay, but I didn't really love the experience. It was a convention meet, absolutely huge, and a couple people (though not most! Most were wonderful!) were very rude, even though I was being really polite :/ I considered skipping another meet a month or so later at a nearby mall, since I didn't love my first meet, but I decided to go anyways. It was a much smaller group and I had a great time! Don't worry too much- just relax and have fun, be social, and enjoy the view of the beautiful dolls :D

6. My first real meet-up was just an extension of our fashion doll club so there wasn't anything to worry about. We'd been meeting for years & a friend started bringing her BJDs &, once I started on them, so did I. She posted a notice here & on ZoZ & it was amazing how many people started coming. It really gave our little group a kick in the ass.

I can imagine how scarey it could be though for someone not used to doll meetings. I think some of the folks who started coming to our group may have felt awkward but once they realised that we were a harmless, goofy gang, I'm sure they simply started enjoying themselves. It can be difficult to start something new but if the meet-ups in your area are anything like ours you'll end up having a great time.

7. i was nervous for first meetup last year. as i do not know much bjd friends, however after attending, den i realised that actually some of my own friends already do own bjds. and they were surprised to see me at the bjd meet too. and we had more topics to talk bout apart from music and cosplay.
      before the meetup, i was worried that i couldn't get along with them.
      however during the meetup, everyone is friendly and they were quite creative, by having conversations with their dollfies, and coming up with short stories on the spot . i was stunned at first, but got used to it already.

8. Doll meets always make me nervous. So much can go wrong! What if people don't like you/your doll/your taste in chocolate cookies etc. Then you get there, everyone is lovely and that's the end of it.

9. I went to my first meet up at a convention. I wasn't nervous at all but was extremely excited about meeting other doll loving people. Maybe if it wasn't at a convention I would have been more nervous.

10. Holy crap I was SO nervous at my first meet! And if I hadn't had gone with my gut instinct of "RUN AWAY!" I wouldn't have met the most amazing friends ever!

11. Yea I was really nervous, I didn't even have a doll yet. But I dragged my friend along and we both had a lot of fun. Now I can't wait to go to our monthly meet-ups. I do still get alittle nervous if I'm going to a meet with a lot of people I don't know, but it always turns out okay.

12. AHAHA! But you had fun, didn't you, Dhampir.

Actually, I was so exhausted I passed out and by time I woke up and got all my errands done and was on my way, I was too excited to be nervous.

This may be because I do a lot of weird stuff though and I'm used to meeting people I've never met before.... maybe.

13. hehe I'm going to my first meet too soon! it's at a con too O.O so I'm major nervous! but I'll have my mom and a friend with me :)
      I read all the 'horror story' things too >.< which didn't help....but I'm sure it will go great! :D

14. Yes, I was nervous. To help me open up, I asked in the meet up thread if anyone would be interested in carpooling and I went to the meet with someone who was already established in the group of friends who go to all the meets in the area. That way she could introduce me and I could take it from there.

15. I was an old hand at fashion doll meetups and conventions, so my first bjd meeting didn't faze me much. It was however, very different from a 'regular' doll meeting, mostly because it was outdoors and everyone was posing and taking pictures, but I got into that really quickly. Plus, the average age of the participants was much younger than the fashion doll groups and I was one of only 2 males at the meetup, and for the sf bay area (this was a few years back), that was strange too.
      Nowadays, there are so many meetups in this wide all encompassing far-flung area that I can't attend all of them! I encourage everyone to try it at least once - yeah there will always be a sour faced harpy or two with a chip on their shoulder in every group, but you can always avoid them at the next meetup...:lol:
      Alex

16. Just had my first meet-up yesterday~ The people I met are very nice~

Not really nervous before the meeting, only worried about lost direction, so I went to there a little earlier~

17. I've been to a few and I still get really nervous, thats mostly why I don't go because I think about it to much.
      You could try to think of how fun it would be rather then all the things that could go wrong. (maybe I should take my own advice;))

18. My first meet up was a bit of a surprise because I didn't know what to expect. My friend took me and I was amazed not only at the types of dolls and their dress, but also the friendliness of those who were there. The welcomed me with open arms, even though I had no doll at the time because I had just ordered a Mini Riz from Planet Doll. They are still so supportive.

19. i actullely went to my first doll meet last week in wichita! yeah i was a little nervous but more excited...wasn't sure what to expect i was a little afraid that it was going to be a bunch of older ladies giving me dirty looks because of my piercings.... but when i got there it was mostly people only a few years older than me and there was a girl there with more piercings than me! and the one older lady there was the one i talked to the most!!! the dolls were AMAZING!!! i was also afraid i will break some eles's doll and didn't want to touch any of them but i had ALOT of fun and can't wait for the next one!

one bad thing though is between the 3 of us we won 4 outta the 10 door prizes! we felt bad so we decided to make a couple of outfits to donate to the next meetup!

20. I haven't been to a doll meet, though I have seen a BJD at an animeconvention.
      I was very excited yet very nervous at the same time xD I went to talk to the owner and asked if I could hold her doll... it might've been a good idea to tell her that I had never held a BJD before ¦D; So then the poor doll's torse flopped backwards, making her wig fall off. It could have been worse, but it gave me a good fright o.o