1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you get nervous before your first meet-up?

Aug 27, 2009

1. I went to my first ABJD meet up last week and I was a little nervous I knew 3 of the people that attened which helped but every one was wonderful.

People asked before touching Evangeline over all it was great, we have plans for a halloween meet :chibi

:bcake

2. I was pretty nervous, but that's because I'm kinda shy (I used to be so shy I could barely talk around my friends ... but I've mostly recovered), and also because I don't have my doll yet.
      Once I got there I was fine (probably a little quiet ... but still fine).
      It was really fun and the people were super friendly. I was a little scared to handle a doll for the first time, but the owner was really nice and showed me both of her dolls and how they moved.

3. I was but not because of meeting people. I was afraid my doll customization would be laughable. I like doing things well and I was afraid of being embarrassed if my dolls did not hold up to other peoples dolls. Silly fear really. Everyone was very nice.

4. Well at the moment I might be meeting up with some people at the NYC Anime Con and yes I am nervous. I probably have met a few people already on accident at my last anime con without even knowing it but this time its going to be intentional.

I'm a very shy person and meeting new people(and dollies) is nerve wracking for me.

5. That's totally normal. When I tried to meet up with the doll collectors at the annual anime convention, I just stuck my head in the door and then ran away! All I've heard is that everyone is so nice so I really regret it. Just be braver than I am and I bet you'll have better luck.

6. I totally did, since I was the host for it! LOL I ended up being late for the meet up that day too! :o

Rozga

7. I've only met up with one person (I think we're the only 2 DOA members in North Queensland) and I was a little nervous, but I went with my friend and she went with her husband and it was fun. (: I'd never seen a 70cm doll in real life before, so it was pretty cool, and it was nice to be able to show off my boy to someone else involved in the hobby.

So I think it's natural to be nervous, but just go with a friend and it'll be fun. (:

8. well, my first meet was at my home, I was pregnant at teh time so I couldn't really go anywhere too easily, but lots of great people came so it was fun!
      but I was a bit nervous of course.

9. I went to my first one was month and I was so nervous. I was the first one there and was constantly watching the door for someone to come in who looked like they were for the doll meet to after the first couple of poeple got there i started to relax and really enjoyed it. I have another tomorow so it should go smoothly :)

10. No. I organized the first meet up for my area and I was so busy baking and making little signs and gettiing my dolls ready that I didnt have time to be nervous.

11. i got nervous, i looked at some of the other peoples bios and saw everyone had like 20 dolls and i just had one msd bobobie. and then I got lost on trying to find the meet an was late getting there. but i had so much fun, and now i really look forward to the next

12. Oh, god. I was so nervous about my first meet. I was afraid my hands would sweat so much that I'd drop my dolls, and then my tummy was warning me I'd puke on them... It's hard for some people to believe, but meeting new people, especially in situations that are outside of my comfort zone, gives me nearly crippling anxiety.

...and having a good two hour plus drive to make it to the meet didn't help with psyching myself up for it, either.

But I went, alone, without even my actual doll but instead a rescue I was working with before rehoming (my SD was at the time out for a full body spa--restringing, wiring, sueding, blushing, you name it), and a couple of pukis that have since found new homes.

But everyone was super nice, and I've since dragged my husband to one, and a friend of mine as well. I've encouraged other people to come to the meets, too! I've made some really great friends this way.

13. My first is in October, my friend MIGHT be coming but I'm going with my mum too, ha, but I'm soooooo nernvous. I'm really hoping they're nice or whatever cause I'm new to the hobby and young compared to all the other BJD-ers, it seems! Ooooh, nervesnervesnerves!!!

14. I might be going to my first meet up on the 19, and i am sooo nervous!! The fact that my friend might be going with me helps but only a tiny bit. I'm worried about when they will think of me since i don't own a doll yet and i'm scared b/c i don't know anyone and i dont know what to expect *bites nails* I'm really super excited but i'm really scared as well.

15. I was a little nervous my first meetup because I had only seen dolls at anime cons and talked to enthusiasts on live journal (they were the ones who talked me into getting my first one) and only for a month here at DoA, right after I ordered my first. I figured I would still have fun taking photos, even if was just of my one and only beautiful boy. Everyone was friendly and wanted to see Shuichi's abs (I think he was the first Iplehouse anyone had seen) and I got to see my first Volks and Dollshe sculpts up-close and personal. Now one of the Hounds lives with me!

Only SD-sized dolls were at that first meetup so I had never seen anything smaller. A few months later I saw my first MSD-sized and YoSD-sized at my second meetup and it was so exciting to see so many variations. That's one of the many wonderful things about meetups - SEEING the dolls and how they compare and contrast to each other.

Back then, the locals only met every few months or so and now there's usually a meetup somewhere in the area every weekend. Definitely a difference! I cherish these friends.

The DFW group loves to meet potential doll owners and new doll owners at our meetups. We love to talk about lots of things besides dolls, too. We also welcome Pullips, stuffed animals, other doll types and action figures.

So don't be too afraid, okay? 99.99% of the doll people are some of the nicest people you will ever meet and will love talking resin with you.

16. i'm trying to get over being nervous and i just had to ask this but... you named your doll Shuichi?!?!?! that's an awesome! makes me think of gravitation ^_^

17. I was sooo nervous. My mom dropped me off at the train station,and i had to go into the city by myself, wandering with my doll. I don't go into the city by myself on a NORMAL day. So doll meet was uber scary for me. I eventually found my way and had so much fun. Doll meets are now one of my favorite things to go to. Always a treat to see the new dolls, people, and even the oldies, to see if anything's changed. It's normal to be nervous- but it's worth all the panic and anxiety.

18. Augh! I know how you feel! For my first meet-up, I was totally nervous on whether or not anything would go right at all! But everything went fantastically despite my horribly pessimistic way of thinking. I gained a new awesome friend and even so, the people there were just amazing. Waayyy more awesome than I expected. Don't be nervous! You'll be having so much more fun before you know it. ;)

19. I have to admit that I haven't gone to a meet in large part because I'm shy and nervous about the whole thing (someone even sent me a PM to encourage me). But they sound like fun!

20. I was really nervous when I went to my first meet. Like, I was SO nervous. I was going 'alone', the only person to accompany was my mum [[the fact that she was there didn't worry me, but I guess it made me a little nervous. My mum is usually cool and she was into it so I think we were both welcome. xD]]. I had the 'what-if' thoughts as well, and am really shy in person, so I thought this was just a bad idea. But everyone was really friendly and willing to talk and help and answer any questions and it was just silly fun.

The only thing that was a tad awkward for me was the fact that everyone knew each other really well and I was the new kid. xD It's my own fault though, for not participating in more doll meets, as well as not getting on here more often and talking and making friends.

Even so, you have no worries. Just think positive. Everyone on here is incredibly nice and helpful and you'll be fiiine. :3