1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you get nervous before your first meet-up?

Aug 27, 2009

1. The first meet I'll be going to is in January...it's a Secret Santa meet so I'm double nervous.
      I'm sure I'll be fine though.

2. I was! It was a zillion years ago, but I remember being all first-datey about it. I was a little nervous that everyone would scorn my dolls because they had their default LE faceups on instead of being hand-painted. :XD: But I knew that my boys looked their best, so that helped me relax about it. I relaxed even more after one of the doll's uniforms got a squee-response.

I was also nervous about getting lost in Golden Gate Park, because I always get lost in that damn park, it's huge. But I found everyone, and they were all wonderful people, and I'm still close friends with some of them after like 8 years.

3. Oh goodness yes I was nervous. All I had was a Resinsoul Yao who I sprayed with UV Cut MSC... but it was gloss instead of matte, so my poor doll was all greasy looking. Her default faceup was bad, she had a bad fur wig, she couldn't stand and I didn't know how to restring. I was a mess, thinking I would be scorned for not having Volks or Soom or anything like that but everyone was so nice and accepting. n_n

4. I was very nervous my first meet. I drug my poor husband along for support and he sat there bored for hours because I was having such a good time. Everyone was really awesome. We've moved a few times since then, and I'm always a little nervous when I go to my first meet in a new area, but it's always been worth it! Even if everyone at the meet isn't nice, I have so far always found a few people to talk to and have fun with.

5. I've never been to one! But I think I would be pretty nervous.

6. Oh, of course I got nervous! Before the first meetup and before many after! Unless you are a type who never gets nervous in new social situations, that must be pretty common!

I usually go to meetups on my own, so this can be awkward. But sometimes I knew people who would be there, which helped.

However! I have found that it is VERY easy to go to a meetup! Usually the doll people really stand out because of the dolls and the doll-carriers, and that makes us all one happy group. Also--the attention is partly on your doll and the others dolls, which makes ME feel less in the spot-light and more comfortable. And--you don't really have to just stand there awkwardly... You can fuss with your doll. You can go look at other dolls. You can take photos of your doll and other dolls. All this without having to open your mouth! And then you can actually ask about other dolls, and most people enjoy talking dolls back... so this is easier than just a party situation where you don't know if you have anything at all in common! :D

7. Yeah, I got pretty nervous before my first meet. I ended up dragging two of my friends along as well because I didn't want to go alone even though I was super excited about going. Everything turned out fine though and I had a lot of fun.

8. I've been to a couple of meets and STILL get nervous at the idea of going to another. I don't really know anyone there, none of my friends have dolls, so I'm going in blind. Everyone there already has their own friends and I kind of feel like the odd man out. Hopefully that will change after a few more, because I really like meeting up with other doll people!

9. I was a little. It is weird putting usernames to faces, but we all loved the same thing, and I got along with everyone. I love meets, and I go to them whenever I possibly can!

10. I could have been much more nervous than I was -- brand new to the hobby, no doll yet, knew exactly jacksquat about them -- but I was involved in the process from the start, and my first meet was with a small local group of hobbyists who were happy to let me hold whatever I wanted to hold and ask silly questions and get silly answers and generally be a low-pressure newbie. It was a great deal of fun. I have the best local group, I swear to god.

11. I have only been to one meetup so far. I was more excited than nervous. I'm glad i was not the first one there though. It was very laid back and people were just sitting around with dolls scattered everywhere. Everyone was friendly and just wanted to chat about our bjds and take photo's. It's fun to meet other collectors too.

12. Yes, I was extremely nervous when I went to my first meet, but is was great having a friend with me who was also having her first meet as well! Though, luckily we quickly got over it thanks to a sweet little 8 year old who came straight over to us and placed her fantasy doll in my hands and then continued to place her in the right spot to hold her while saying "Now don't drop her! I want to show you the rest of the family!" which then she proceeded to show me the whole table and then showed off some other tables as well. It was so cute and I loved every minute of it thanks to that little girl and everyone else because they were so welcoming and warm to everyone!