1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you get your boyfriend/husband into the hobby? How?

Jun 17, 2019

1. My SO likes the Witcher and I guess he wouldn't mind getting a similar doll to have it displayed. He'd certainly not play with it though or redress, etc. We're both 'kids at heart' but we have separate hobbies and I like it as it is ;)

2. Man, this could have been written about my husband. Every time I get another, he asks, "This is the last one, right?" I always answer, "No, there's a couple more." because I basically ignore him about my dolls too and I don't want to get his hopes up. I also kinda try to play down the price. I think he'd have a heart attack if I told him I spent $800 on a doll.

3. My husband is super supportive of all of my creative endeavors, including my dolls-- he compliments my work, encourages me to make time for my hobby, is genuinely appreciative of the creativity and skill I put into the things I make for the dolls, is always happy to look at my latest doll projects or photos when I'm excited about how they came out, and he actually likes building me stuff for my art/doll room (his hobby is woodworking/carpentry.) He has absolutely no interest in owning dolls for himself, and I can guarantee he never will-- but I don't try to get him interested or feel like I'm missing anything. We share practically every other interest aside from my dolls and his woodworking, and have so many other things we enjoy together, I'd actually rather just have the dolls be my one thing I do on my own, just like I appreciate the rad stuff he makes in his wood shop but don't personally feel any desire to do it myself.

#23 thedarkeststar13, Jun 19, 2019
      Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    4. My husband really doesn’t understand the hobby. He thinks it’s a waste of time and money. Now I feel embarrassed taking photos in front of him

5. I'm the only one in my family that's really into the hobby. However my dad does appreciate the artistic value of my dolls =) When it comes to my boyfriend I feel like even though he knows why they are so expensive, he really wants me to stop buying them =P He sort of has no relationship with them whatsoever I guess, he's quite indiferent other than wanting me to spare my money XD

6. Please don't feel embarrassed! You should always be comfortable in from of your loved ones even if it's something that makes them uncomfortable =) They should eventually get used to it and at least be happy for the things that make you happy =)

7. My husband is a big supporter of my art, and he understands my desire to fill my living space with objects that make me happy, but he himself is just not the kind of person that collects anything. He does get excited when I show him dolls I really love, but it's more in a supportive way than in an actually interested in it himself kind of way. He does think they're too pricey though so he'd prefer if I just stuck to looking at them online lol.

8. No that is impossible to me…

9. I second that! Agree 100%.
      Besides you’re not doing anything wrong, it’s your hobby. Don’t be embarrassed.

10. This, more or less, Is how my boyfriend feels about it. It's really only the price of them that he cringes a bit about. He does have one collecting hobby himself, though (collectable card games, like Magic the Gathering).

11. My boyfriend is definitely interested! I don't think he'll ever get his own dolls because of the price, but he likes mine enough that he just enjoys the ones I get. He's wanted to get into doing face-ups though, which I've never wanted to do myself so it works out great. He can practice on my dolls to his heart's content and all I had to pay for was gloss and MSC! He also helps me look for doll scale props, pick out wigs and eyes, and brainstorm outfit ideas. It's sort of like we share my collection :lol:

I keep being worried that he'll think I'm spending too much or taking too much space on the dresser (it's basically all mine now) but he's always 100% supportive. :love

12. My husband knows all the dolls by name, I have six of them. It also helps me to carry a carrying bag and for a long time wants to make me a guitar for guys 70+, but he doesn't support me when I spend money on a new doll :lol:

13. My husband buys dolls for me -- what more could I want?

14. Funny enough I ended up getting my husband into the hobby with me. It started with me showing him what they were and getting back into the hobby myself. Then he helped me in getting my grail doll and despite being a tiny bit creeped out by them at first he fully wants to start his own collection.

15. Mine has a doll but he bought it one outfit and kinda just was happy with that lol He is supportive of my hobby though. He does want me to try to get his a new faceup sometimes. He does like buying stuff for my dolls and helps with putting in their eyes etc since I sometimes have trouble with fine motor things...

16. i would try if I had a boyfriend XD

17. Sadly, no. I tried and failed. ;v;

18. Yes! It was a happy accident of sorts, because I was going to sell a doll he always liked and he said "no way! If she's going I will take her". So that was his first doll and the second happened the same way, but then he got into it and started to keep an eye on new releases. He has a thing for critters and event dolls, so he is at times more up to speed than I am ;) And he has quite the collection now!

19. I got both my husband and my best friend, who is male, into dolls. When I first started dating my husband I told him about my dolls and about six months into dating he wanted his own doll. He has more clothing for that one doll then I have for all my dolls. My best friend loves hobby’s and after a long time of being my friend he expressed an interest in dolls. He spent six months picking out his doll and is now waiting for it to arrive. I love the hobby and I love that they share this hobby with me. They don’t have an outside community for the hobby we most stick to ourselves although I have been trying more and more to get to know other people in the hobby as well.

20. This is such a cool thread, I love reading all these stories. Haha, if my husband was afraid of my dolls I’d scare him on purpose. :)

But he’s not; in fact when we moved in he built a shelf for my twelve little apple dolls and those are about as spooky as they come.

He rather likes my dolls—I don’t think he’ll ever want one for himself but he’s supportive and has even done some minor repairs. It probably helps that the characters they’re based off of are ones I’ve used in RPGs with him so he’s familiar, but really he supports anything that makes me happy!