1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you get your boyfriend/husband into the hobby? How?

Jun 17, 2019

1. My husband probably will never get into the hobby but he accepts and supports it because it makes me happy! :)

2. I just recently joined the hobby but my boyfriend is very interested in it. He is helping me build a roombox and he is thinking about buying a pipos cat or mouse. He is a tattoo artist and he has always painted so I am wondering if he could do faceups. It’s so fun to share a hobby with someone.

3. No, lol. He appreciates the art of it, and he's glad I have a hobby I enjoy (though he hates the cost), but he's not playing with or collecting any dolls of his own any time in the future :)

4. I think my boyfriend will not end up in the hobby but he is super supportive about it *-*

5. Actually, my husband very much supports me. We discuss how my ideas can be actually put into reality. He is into model railways, and we both like to think out of the box. He knows a lot about different materials and what you can do with it. He lets me use all the tools in his workshop.

But he still has to take the very final leap of faith...we will see.

#45 Ipledreamer, Jul 21, 2019
      Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    6. i dunno if my boyfriend would ever own his own BJD (i did help him find a character to make into an obitsuroid & im really happy about that!) but he's very supportive and encouraging of me and all my hobbies! it's one of the things i absolutely love about him ♥

(and of course i support him in the same way! i may not be into minecraft redstone the way he is but i love seeing the crazy things he builds and how excited he is about it all!!!♥)

7. I got my (at-the-time-best-friend, now-wife) into the hobby. I didn't really do anything in particular, I just loved my dolls and let her play with them, and soon she wanted one of her own! Now between the two of us, we have a ton, LOL.

8. My girlfriend seems pretty interested in them after I showed her the 1/3 9S BJD :XD:

9. I can’t say that I carried away my husband with her hobby. But he helps me during the filming, in crafting, with 3D models and their printing. He is also quite calm about hobbies and does not see anything terrible in him, we have fairly related hobbies and we support each other. :)

10. That would be a dream come true for my significant other to also collect ball jointed dolls, though, knowing the cost of this luxury hobby, I'd fear for our finances haha. Alas, right now the most I can feasibly ask for is that someone at least tolerate my gushing in excitement about the hobby.

11. Yeah, my then boyfriend now husband was like that. When we first started dating, I started discovering the world of BJDs. I am into collecting other things (stamps, antiques, stationery, anime/manga, Star Wars, books, etc) and he was into video games as well as some overlapping stuff (books, antiques, anime/manga). I told him about how I wanted a certain BJD but was saving up for it. About a year or so into dating, he asked me if I wanted a special piece of jewelry or a doll from a different company as he had a set amount he wanted to spend that day. I wanted a doll so he brought me to Volks USA Showroom back when it was in Torrance. At the time, the first floor had all these figures/models, but the second floor was all BJDs (standard SDs, MSDs, and DDs) as well as the FCS stuff. I think there was a man there creating his FCS and few other guys checking out the DDs and other figurines/models. I think seeing the men there made him feel it was socially acceptable to be into this hobby. While I started picking out my first doll and figuring out what wig to wear, shoes, and all that, I asked him his opinion on different things and he was totally supportive on top of willing to pay for it. In the end, we kind of created a doll together.

Funny part was when we got back to his parents' place, his mom was so disappointed upon seeing the doll as she was expecting an engagement ring.:|:doh:...( The engagement ring came later. :hug:Since we had a long distance relationship on top of a long engagement, we made visiting Volks one of our main date locations. About one year later, he got his first doll. We've been in this hobby almost as long as we've been together so it's nice growing old with someone that is not only supportive but into the hobby.

My best friend, also into the hobby, did a similar thing with her boyfriend now husband. If I remember correctly, it was a double date and we were showing them around southern California with the Volks showroom as part of the tour. Her boyfriend was more interested in the first floor with the figurines and models with only a slight interest in the second floor with the SDs and DDs. Again, similar scenario where there was a mix of females and males in the showroom which again made things socially acceptable. I think this was around the time when the Rozen Maiden dolls had been released as well as some Fate stuff and possibly early Hatsune Miku. Eventually, they got married, had their honeymoon in Japan, and they went to the Volks showrooms over there and each got their own dolls.:kitty1

So I guess the formula to a successful conversion is to find a local showroom, pack it full of manly men (seriously, there were some really tall, muscular guys creating their FCS dolls), throw in some non-threatening/masculine scale models/figurines, show them some dolls that remind them of something they are interested in (anime, manga, video game characters), create positive associations each time you show them those dolls, get engaged, get married, and somewhere in-between get a doll or two.:evilplot::dance:kitty1

Funny thing is, both our Dads are kind of the typical, hyper-masculine type of guys and they both are really supportive of our hobbies. His Dad is the typical east coast kind of guy that worked in a power plant, rides a Harley, and likes to have projects around the house. My Dad was a nurse, an all-around handyman, likes collecting guns, and also has lots of projects to busy himself around the house. My father-in-law and mother-in-law would find little things that are BJD sized for our dolls (like a Royal Albert "Old Country Roses" tea set BJD sized, a tiny watering can, tiny fake flowers, plates, etc) and even allowed us to host a couple dolly tea parties there with my friends. We even brought my doll to a couple of D&D campaigns with my husband's group of friends/male relatives. There were some where I could tell that if only we brought them to the Volks showroom back then, we might have had more converts. Muahahaha.:mwahaha My Dad would fuss with making sure I put my dolls in the curio so they won't get damaged and said whenever I wanted to to get him the materials and he would make me a furniture set for my dolls. And this is all when I'm in my late 20s and early 30s. :whee:

12. Surprisingly yes. I introduced my dolls to my boyfriend and he said they were very cute, he likes my Doll Chateau snail the most. He then started following my BJD instagram and has even said that he was interested in the hobby. I was sooo happy that my boyfriend was so interested in my dolls, not a single friend or family member was interested in them. Yesterday, again, he told me he plans to get himself a doll. I think my heart jumped. I told him I will help him choose the doll and make sure its legit and guide him through the process of getting his first doll. I am so excited, my dolls will get more friends yay! I think I chose the perfect bf :dance

13. He supports me 110%, and enjoys seeing all the cute dolls :3nodding: he let's me talk for hours on end about them too :D I dont think he would own one of his own, but he (and i) have a large anime figure collection so that's more of his personal taste, but he DOES often find doll size props and ask if it would work!! He has said before that it would be fun to make some as well; I love him so much :love

14. My wife is interested in them and supportive of me but doesn't want any of her own. She loves to sew, though, and makes clothes and accessories for me. C:

15. I think my husband secretly thinks my dolls are creepy, but he's never told me that. He's not interested in getting into the hobby, but he's very supportive of my love for dolls. He's helped me a lot with wiring lights in a dollhouse for my Latis, and he bought me a display case for Christmas that he spray painted white. He's really sweet about my interest in this hobby, and never makes me feel embarrassed about it.

16. I don't think I'll ever be able to get my bf into the hobby. He really dislikes my resin dolls and thinks they're creepy. I almost positive he dislikes the boys more than the girls. I accept that my dolls are creepy to the general population so it's not the biggest deal and he usually doesn't comment on them.

He does seem to be okay with my Dollfie Dream but isn't interested in getting his own. He keeps pushing me to buy more character dolls which I don't have a problem with but I'd be lying if I said I don't want resin dolls anymore.

Maybe when I'm feeling particularly rich I'll buy a DD Shijou Takane and then finally he'll like one of my dolls. I was thinking of buying Takane for him someday, but let's face it, she would still be my doll and he wouldn't touch her.

17. Not at all, and I really doubt I'd even try; in fact I don't even really tell him about the dolls I DO have haha. It's not that he hates them or that I think he'd be unsupportive. On the contrary: he's TOO supportive! It's for the same reason I don't tell him about my writing or let him see any works in progress -- I know he'd ask questions and want to know more, and having to talk about my creative process is my ultimate kryptonite (for a lot of personal history reasons).

He's not a particularly artistic or creative person, anyway, and I can already tell he'd be put off by something like buying a blank doll and building it into a personal one of a kind. He does love tabletop games and D&D though, if he had a "main" character I could probably encourage him to make a character shell, maybe even get him to pay me to paint it for him :wiggle Unfortunately he doesn't really care when his characters die in game and has more fun building them rather than becoming attached to any one in particular, so I can already see us putting all this money and effort into shelling his character only for the character to die a week later and him to move on to building a new one lol.

18. My wife is supportive of me having a hobby and will often laugh good-naturedly at looking over at me to find that I'm browsing doll sites again or have a close up disembodied doll eyes photo up on my screen. She's even had me direct her to some sites to browse on her own, and has mused out loud on "if I were going to get one, what kind would it be". But I've actually reminded her that really it's ok if these dolls aren't her thing! Ultimately I'm waaaaay more invested in them, and I can tell when she's engaged in something that's more her style (indie vinyl toys and wood furniture lol). I don't need her to get into the hobby, it's already great that I can talk to her about it, and show "my children" (as she calls them) off to her

19. Kind of. He doesn't hate them and thinks it is cool they can be customized even though he jokes they are creepy.

I'm allowed to use all sorts of OCs and characters. He also thinks it's be cool if I made a couple video game characters later on, which I definitely plan to do

20. I am trying... really hard to get my man into it. But he says he "can't get over the price" even though he said he is buying me Charm Doll Baron. LOL

Thing is, he isn't really a collector. He doesn't buy things for him self or really own anything.