1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you hate dolls?

May 15, 2010

1. Me, too. I always loved dolls, but I was always soooo fussy about whether they looked realistic and beautiful. My less realistic dolls never got played with. Cabbage Patch Kids did sort of have a draw for me because each one was unique and individual and had a birth certificate; I was interested for that reason, but after getting one I didn't really play with her as much... ultimately those dolls couldn't hold a candle to dolls that weren't cutesily deformed. I finally settled down with American Girls and became a pretty serious collector of them until I was about 15 and sort of got distracted by other things in my life (by which I mean I got the internet. Eheh.) But BJDs are far more perfect than American Girls could ever have been.

2. I've never liked em, I had my babydoll and barbies but hardly ever played with them unless there was a friend coming over who did want to play with the barbies xD
      I prefered lego and knex and drawing xD
      I collected stuffed animals though :D All had names and some story :p was a hobby together with my sister :p

The last years before BJD, the only doll I had was some wooden body model with moveable joints and with no face xD

I got into BJD because I met a friend of a friend on a fair and she had her DoC Si with her ^^ I liked the dolls but never wanted one *cough* but curiosity killed the cat and I went looking on forums and met the dutch community and half a year later my first doll stood on my doorstep xD

3. I guess, really actually thinking about it, I was into dolls as a kid. I had a ton of Barbies as well as my stuffed animals and toy cars and horses... And they all got good screen time. Had a couple baby dolls that were really special to me, too. And then I "grew out of it" and wasn't interested at all. Got rid of all of them except the baby doll I'd had since she was half my size (given that it's a doll maybe the size of a newborn, this is a while).

Even when I was first introduced to BJDs (my best friend got one and I babysat him for about a month while she was on a bicycle trip and keeping him secret from her parents), I thought, "Oh, cool, pretty, but I'd never want one."

... ahahahahah. I did hold out for about a year with that mindset. Somewhere in there another friend introduced her dolls to me, and I fell head over heels, and another year later my first is home.

4. I hate baby dolls when I was a kid, 'cause their eyes are a bit creepy... until now.
      But I really dolls that is something adult like BJDs, 'cause their eyes are really caught me. Their face, their lips...

Man, I wish I could bought 'em if I have money.

5. I had Barbies and baby-dolls growing up. I hated porcelain dolls though, Eugh. Still do. I discovered BJDs about two years ago, and iono why I love them. I was just so fascinated by their pose-ability and how customisable they are.

I got into photography a year ago and recently told my mum about BJDs and what not. I'm looking into getting a job so that I can get my first BJD this year hopefully. It just seems no one is hiring >.>"

6. All of the users post has been very interesting. Somethings that were just alike and remind me of a few things. More life to this thread :D

7. I think alot of us have similar stories.
      I never really hated them, I just wasn't interested till I found bjds.

I had dolls from when I was born. Being a girl, I automticaly inherited a collection of dolls from familys around the world travel, which lived on a shelf and I was forbidden to play with; I had various disney dolls, baby dolls and one porcelain, which I either had no intrest to start with or lost interest as I grew older. There was model horses too which I was actialy interested in (I rode alot before moving for uni) but they all went as I 'grew up'.

As an adult, it was very 'not like me' to get into any sort of dolls. But there was something about bjds that grabed me. I can't remember hpw I found out about them, but once I started with them I knew I wanted them.

8. Honestly - I've always loved dolls. I was one of those little girls with a horde of barbies etc. I also used to LOVE to sit and stare at my moms porcelin dolls and hold them. I went through a faze where I thought I was 'too grown up' for them lol, (Jr.High - dumbest years of my life) and then when I got abit older I started collecting barbies and other dolls I liked to display around my room. Moved from them to pullips and then finally to BJDs - which I had fallen in love with back during my awkward Jr.high years lol. I'm just about 23 now so it's taken me a long time to get here but I'm very glad I did. :)

9. No, I didn't hate dolls as a child. But I was not super crazy about them either .. I had my Barbies and one porcelain doll I think, that's it. As I grew older though, I got more and more scared of dolls; Now I could never ever be in the same room with one of these creepy baby/child dolls (not meaning to offend anybody, in case you're a collector, but they're really really frightening to me) for longer than 5 minutes.

BJDs are pretty much the only exception, a few more maybe, but nothing worth mentioning.
      I could never be seriously scared of my boys, never.
      And I randomly found out about BJDs when I was browsing a forum (not dolly-related) and one member had a picture of their doll in their signature. I had no clue what they were and didn't get to ask the person, so after a lot of google-ing I finally found some information about BJDs and lusted after them for about 2 or 3 years. I also found - my then favorite - companies, Luts, D.O.D and later Migidoll. Still crazy about Migi ^^ No wonder, that's where I ended up buying my first doll.

10. always love dolls since i am a little girl. when i am like 5 or 6 years old that's 1987 or 1988 , there's a very very cute japanese doll that only about a finger tall you can purchase house every thing you can find in the real human world for her. love that brand to death, and then here came sindy and barbe when i'm in middle high. till now i'm 28 there are bjds out there............................

11. I loved dolls as a child- I had a huge collection of Barbies, Bratz, baby dolls, etc...just about any pretty ones that came out (although I don't have 99% of them anymore). I would always spend hours playing with them every day, because they were my favorite toys ^^.

I found out what a BJD was after I found out about Dream of Doll somewhere.

12. My parents always bought me dolls. I really had no interest in them. In fact, my brother played more with them while I liked his toys better too. I also had a strange incident with a talking doll, and that made me scared of them for a long time. BJDs look nothing like the dolls of my childhood, so I eventually warmed to the idea of having one.

13. well barbies ..ughh the ones i most hate i use to cut the hair and take hes head off or do weird experiments with them, like given to me dog for playing lol! ..they where always the same color and there prototype of the perfect girls etc etc ..wit BJD you can make them as you like change them and make them to you imagination . omg i wish BJDS where invented when i was a kid i will probably got me room full of them (like me mom wit her porcelain dolls xD)

14. I wouldn't go so far as to use the word 'hate', but I was largely uninterested in dolls as a child. I preferred model horses, stuffed animals and Star Wars. I got into abjds through an interest in manga--it was a natural as they often share stylistic traits. Being involved in the bjd hobby as given me a much greater appreciation for dolls in general, though I'm still picky about what dolls I'll own -- I also have come to like 1/6 obitsus and I'm quite enamored with Pullips. However, most of my doll funds still go to my bjds.

15. I loved baby dolls. Still have a large collection of them lol.
      Also, I have five porcelain dolls from when I was younger.
      I even liked Barbies. I wouldn't play with them, but sometimes I would change their outfits and look at them XD
      Only ever got one American Girl because it took me two years to save for her.

For me, it was all about how pretty the dolls were. I'm really picky in that respect.

16. Did you hate doll as a child and now you cannot get away from them
      i never really hated them. they just bored me even i always found them pretty.
      so i asked them as birthday present and after 10 minutes i was like : man, that's lame! i just stick with dinosaurs!

and how did you get involve with doll in the 1 place?
      well as i said, i still had dolls. in fifth grade i filled a box of things i wanted to get rid of (the dolls were in it) and i invinted my friend to take a look in it and she found my bratz doll. then she told me she had bratz dolls as well! so then i started to like bratz and i now have like 50 xD
      so that's pretty much how i started to REALLY like dolls. eventually i heard about BJD and then it was over and i can still hear my wallet scream in horror (wtf)

17. To be completely honest, I never hated them in the sense that I wouldn't go near one, I was sort of indifferent towards them. When I was younger, I remember I was very much a Legos, Bionicles, Transformers, and stuffed animal person, I guess they can count as dolls in a way, though. I remember I had this one Barbie that I kinda liked, but meh, it wasn't anything that special. However, while I didn't have much of an inclination to dolls as a whole, I absolutely deplored the feel of plastic that most cheap dolls are made of (that or cloth), and I hated its shinyness as well (consequently, when I became interested in BJD's, one of my bigger fears was that the resin would be completely smooth and shiny, thankfully I found that resin is much more matte than the plastics Barbies are made of.)

I got into BJDs through a random blog post somebody had displaying Black Ducan and was like, "woaahh, is that...porcelain or something?" Because I had never heard of dolls being made of resin and it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, to the point where I wondered if this was truly a doll or a digitalized image. But still, my attitude towards dolls aside from BJDs hasn't really changed, its just that these particular dolls managed to capture my interest and hold onto it.

However, having read/heard haunted doll stories (and being unsure what to believe), I'm somewhat scared of most porcelain/rag dolls, as an individual I've always thought they had a somewhat disturbing quality to them (although I wouldn't hold anything against a collector of such dolls.)

18. I always had an interest in dolls and it went hand-in-hand with my interest in drawing and sewing. It was very handy to have doll models in school for miniature constructions of period clothing. I got really interested in Japanese fashion dolls in the mid-1990s when I was in my early teens and then was introduced to ABJDs through Japanese fashion dolls around 2000-2001.

19. Hmm..I have loved doll and have hated them too. Well..since I'm a little girl I've given a lot of animal plushies..:)..and I love 'em. Then Barbie came to my country..well..to my sight..I like them..especially the mermaid since I love mermaid..but as I grew up I start disliking 'em..well..maybe because I think Barbie is for little girls and I want to be an adult. But three months ago I was interested in Pullip..when I saw BJD Ai I stumbled across this site..and saw Pocket fairy..and I start fell in love over and over again in BJD :aheartbea..still dislike barbie, porcelain, and etc dolls though. :sweat

20. As a male this is sort of a funny question. Growing up it was mostly Transformers for me. Though, I believe I had at least one Barbie at some point. I think a lot of boys did, but most would never admit it. I always took good care of my toys too. I was never one to burn or deliberately break my stuff.

So I would not say I hated them, but they weren't really something that was a part of my life as a kid because it was a "girls toy".

Now, well I don't care what people think of my interests. I think you stop caring about that the older you get. A couple years ago when I was big on Anime and Japan I naturally bumped into BJD photos. The photos stood out to me when I saw the detail in the clothes. It also helped that they were these cool goth-like clothes. From there I had to know more about these things and that was the start of it. Now that I know a lot more it only made them more interesting.