1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you hate dolls?

May 15, 2010

1. Growing up all my mother ever did was throw Barbies my way. I grew to despise them as a child because I wasn't the kind to sit down and be all girly. If anything else I was a wild child with a love of the outdoors and super tomboy. However I could differentiate between well made porcelain dolls compared to the cheap plastic Barbies. I saw that they were more of an artistic/aesthetic kind of collection than a toy. BJD's aren't toys in the very least due to their fully articulated forms and realistic appearance. I've seen a few used in contemporary art in a few galleries to make fashion statements or just there to evoke feeling. I first ran across them in a few years back in high school and was immediately intrigued. Ironically I keep a lot of high detailed PVC figures of female protagonists from games as a collection, a collectible art form as opposed to a toy.

2. I didn't ever hate dolls but I didn't particularly like them either. Like most others I had a barbie but never really cared for it, cut its hair off etc because I was quite tomboyish. I did have a few collectible dolls which came in their own case and book describing their story but I didn't like their aesthetics, only the fact it was possible to change their outfits. As a result of that it was suprising when I began liking BJDs, but to me they are on a totally different level to the other dolls I'd owned. I first saw them when looking through cosplay sites and someone had made a transferable tattoo for a DoD Homme Ducan cosplay. They linked back to DoD and thats when it all started.

3. I was never too keen on the baby dolls but I was fond of my barbies when i was really young!
      Then becoming a huge anime fan I collected the figures especially the moving ones and when I found BJD's it was like a match made in heaven because I thought of them more as giant figures 'dollfie' = doll figure so it was love!

4. I loved all toys when I was a kid and I love all toys now! :D I'm not sure I really had a preference of dolls over other stuff when I was younger... but I did like to play with them a lot. I used to mix and match my toys, so, Ariel the Little Mermaid dolly would go off and have adventures with my bears and other assorted toys :D I had one Barbie that my uncle gave me, but I was more into Disney Princess dolls and Julip dolls.

I've never been scared of dolls, and didn't even know people were scared of dolls until I got into the ABJD hobby and everyone started telling me how creepy my dolls were O_O;

5. Nope. I played with Barbies all the time growing up. But they weren't the main toy of my childhood, they were one of several. However, I am more into dolls now then I ever was as a kid.

6. I only had one Barbie I actually played with as a child (out of about 11) and that was rollerskating Teresa. I loved that doll because her knees could bend and she could ride my She-ra horse :). I mostly played with plastic animals, Jurassic Park dinosaurs, My Little Pony, and beast wars Transformers. I actually still have almost every one of my cherished childhood toys. I used to put barbies clothes on EVERYTHING even the Transformers and dinosaurs! I was a weird little girl :lol:

7. I love dolls ever since I was a child. I bought all the dolls I want when I was a kid. Well, not really... but I did have around 2-5 dolls per month back then, not including holidays and birthdays. I also have lots of stuff toys. most of them came from my dear grandmama, i can still remember when she gave me, my younger sis and my younger bro ten stuff toys each. The said grandma also gives us lots of toys back then. XD

8. I was never a "barbie girl". At all. I had a couple when I was younger but they pretty much stayed in my closet. I was more the "Let's go run and play in the woods and get dirty" kinda girl. I never thought I would be interested in dolls, ever, but I guess it just had to be the right kind of doll hehe. I'm hopelessly addicted to BJDs now ^_^

9. I suppose I was very much a 'barbie-girl' when younger but I like teddies a lot too as well as building and modeling from kenix/lego but not animal themed toys. I had a lot of barbies as a child, a lot of the time it was the clothes and looks that got me interested in a doll. I also loved pollypockets, dollhouses and minatures, the whole display of them is what got me interested, I love the designs, the aesthetic look of the models. So the aesthetic sense was very strong even then.

But I always hated baby dolls and porcelain dolls scare me. I did get a baby doll for the sake of 'trying to be like other little girls' but that didn't end well and even now childlike BJDs are usually not my cup of tea. So I didn't hate dolls but I didn't love all dolls either, just what I found beautiful and pretty. Dolls to me are always about the clothes, the fashion, the overall beautiful presentation and an air of perfection. I aim for the same things with BJDs.

10. I still hate dolls except bjds because they scare me a lot, like porcelain dolls and others. I was playing more with hot wheels than Barbies when I was young. And the first time I saw a bjd on internet, I though it looked very scary, but now I don't think so xD duh

11. I loved dolls when I was younger but then I came to notice their really creepy smiles and wide eyes and got creeped out. O_O Especially after hearing about Chuckie...I used to love Barbies and stuff but then I grew to really hate them. Still think a lot of the dolls are really creepy...then again I think all dolls are creepy except for BJDs. I was never a doll addict but when I saw a BJD for the first time I was really really surprised to find myself actually wanting them. They weren't like any other doll I'd ever seen and they weren't the type of dolls that I saw everyday. ;)

12. i didnt HATE them. i just disliked them. i HAD porcelain dolls and barbies but i rarely played with them and when i did it was because that was the only way i could include myself in with my cousins/little sisters friends. and modt of the time then all i did was set up the furniture and dress the dolls before playing the games maybe comb out their hair and then i was bored. i liked to take care of them though. and the few i did enjoy it was because i used markers to make them vampires or witches or goths. well i also enjoyed my brats dolls but i only liked looking at them. i had the winter edition jade and some other kind of jade (rocker?) i loved her punky clothes i liked that she wasn't a "pretty in pink) doll like all the other dolls around.

then one day in hot topic little apple dolls caught my eye. i was curious because i overheard some girl talking about one of the dolls "stories" so i went on the website. at first i was just in love with the pictures but then i started reading the stories and fell in love with the dolls after that and wanted a few of them. and then another day at hottopic living dead dolls caught my eyes and i fell for them too. i started collecting living dead dolls (still have not gotten any little apple dolls just yet though) and again about a year later in the mall i saw a begoth doll. i want to have some of those too. and like 3 years ago came across custom vampire/demon baby dolls on ebay and still really want one of those too but before i could buy one i fell in love with BJDS and bought a soom heliot =]

but all of the above dolls are creepy so i would have never imagined getting a more "normal" dolland while its true most of my dolls will either be strange or creepy some of them will look pretty normal and im way excited for them =]

ive had a COMPLETE turn around. i went from not liking ANY dolls to collecting BJD's and living dead dolls and still wanting to collect little apple dolls, begoths, evangaline ghastly, delilah nior, loopyboopy dolls, pullips, gravenbabies and more >.< dolls are alot of fun for me now. i get excited over all types of dolls.

13. I'm not very fond of dolls when I was younger (I only remember I had two dolls) and I'm much more into Lego and computer games (Yep, I started to poke computers when I was 5.:))

I got into BJD when I saw their pictures. They're very beautiful and suits my taste a lot. Thus, the hobby started.. *_*

14. I didn't particularly hate dolls when I was younger, but I know I didn't like them. I was way more interested in Transformers and dinosaurs than "those girly things." Even as I got older, I wasn't really that interested in dolls. BJDs caught me wholly by surprise, strangely enough. I guess it's more due to the fact they can pose human-like, and you can change out practically everything about them.

15. I didn't hate dolls when I was younger, in fact I liked them a lot. I was afraid of procelain dolls though.
      When I was younger, I had a lot of barbie dolls/character dolls my relatives got me from Japan (which I all still have although they're sadly stashed away and never really played with anymore). I don't remember when I stopped "liking" them though. I do remember looking at one of my dolls when I was younger and wished how I could make clothes for it/style the hair etc. Then I found out about BJDs mannnny years later and remembered what I wished for before. So now I find myself as a dolly person again. ^-^

16. I loved anything and everything that looked remotely like a miniature humanoid when I was younger. Be it dolls, action figures, sticks I could tie together in the shape of a person.

When I got older I collected figures (still do actually) but I didn't get into bjds until someone on LJ linked a picture of a luts doll they were asking for for Christmas. It seemed sorta creepy and expensive, but it reminded me of Sasori from the anime Naruto and I couldn't get the image out of my head. Eventually I impulsively bought a BJD and the hobby sorta slowly snowballed out of control from there.

17. I didn't hate dolls but I didn't really like them either. I had a few but rarely played with them. I preferred animal figures and toys or stuffed animals. I had a ton of my little ponies and Sylvanian Family toys. I still have the Sylvanians, I gave the ponies to my niece. I think it has something to do with my natural aversion to other people. I don't particularly like people and I find it very difficult to interact with them. As a child I wasn't interested in playing with toy people. I had no idea how. I much preferred animals in general, real or toys. As an adult I think I use the dolls as a way to interact with people without having to interact with them. I am still never 100% sure how to interact with other people and I sort of practice that with my dolls I guess. I also find I am more interested in how humans relate to each other now than I was as a child. I don't understand it so it makes me curious. I play that out in the dolls. I study it, write it, and then put those characters into dolls who I can interact with.

18. I used to hate dolls, but fell in love with BJDs.

#58 Xuchilpaba, May 17, 2010
      Last edited: May 21, 2022
    19. When I really think about it, the only reason I really "liked" dolls, namely barbies, as a kid was because they were toys xD "Waterproof" toys at that... no clue why, I just remember I like having toys I could drown in water o__O xD (I don't do that now, but, just saying, would get quite upset when we'd had to toss a plushie of mine because I dunked them in the kiddy pool 8C).

Other than that, I didn't like dolls at all. The word "doll" itself was associated with something feminine, which was something I wasn't by far. My favorite thing were Hot Wheels cars, and the closest thing to a "doll"-doll were horses :U

However, when I saw BJDs, all stereotypes associated with the word "doll" were eliminated from my mind and replaced with this wonderful, if expensive, obsession :D
      (Just today my teacher abbreviated the word "worksheet" to "WS" and I thought it meant "White Skin" for a minute XDDD;!)

20. I didn't hate them... but I never really liked them that much. I was the kind to destroy my barbies in every possible way xD
      I also never really liked puppet-like dolls (Joints and stuff) xP

I really do not know why I like BJDs though xD
      they are just too pretty to not like xD