1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you hate dolls?

May 15, 2010

1. I think dolls for me for the most part have been a rather neutral type of thing. I don't love them but I don't hate them either. I did have Barbies (about 75 of them) from various years, skin types, ethnic backgrounds, etc. My cousin on the other hand was the driving force for me to completely abandon Barbies all together. I found myself playing with his Spawn, Ninja Turtle action figures more than my Barbies. I did have one doll that was really creepy. I kept it in the waaaaaay back part of my play closet that I had at the time. It was a porcelain doll of Shirley Temple. :: shudders :: that thing I swear could look into your soul and it felt like it was going to devour it. Scary! Thankfully, that doll is long gone. BJD's on the other hand are not scary at all. They are rather adorable for the wee ones and quite handsome and beautiful for the larger variety. I think by accident I stumbled upon either Volks or the early Luts store and wanted one for my very own.

2. I have always loved dolls. I only had 2 barbies when I was very young, later 5. I had a Playmobil house, paper dolls, and about ten dolls that were my sisters and brothers (I'm an only child) or later something like an orphanage. I also played with my mom's old dolls, one of them was blind (had lost her eyes) but I loved her. Then my mom threw her away!

I still have my dolls (at our cottage) and love them. The most beautiful one is Anna, I actually thought about taking her into my own apartment!

3. I didn't hate dolls, but I grew up not being incredibly fond of them. I was (still am) a bit of a tomboy, so I wasn't really into playing with dolls or dressing them up, etc. I had barbies and bratz and stuff but I was much more into Pokemon and trucks and the like. I got into American Girl dolls when I was a pre-teen, and that came to a huge shock for my family since I was so anti-doll, and always said I was. (But then again, all my girl dolls were very tom boyish, haha).

After I got into cosplay and went to an anime convention I fell completely in love with a ball jointed doll at one of the booths. I thought they were so beautiful and unique and expressive, and considered them pieces of art. Six and a half dolls later, I guess you could say I got over my strong dislike for anything doll related. I guess it still hasn't quite hit my parents yet, my mother came in while I was ordering a new doll yesterday and said, "When are you going to be over this whole doll thing?" And I told her I probably wouldn't ever be, haha. :3

4. when i was a child i was in love with doll's like barbie and ponies like that , but then one day i saw my big brother watching this horror movie called "Chucky" and from that on i just hate dolls and scared out of them :doh ( i was 7 and i already had my wild imagination so i'm afraid my barbie will woke up in the night and kill me....)

then when i turn 13 i saw this picture on google when i google 'doll's (i'm in love with scary doll when i was 13 ... i know weird ... =/) its a BJD doll , and its love in first sight ~
      i do love them but at that time don't have any plan to buy them first because i don't know where to look for them and second because i never buy online stuff before ~
      then few of my friends who is otaku like me knew the BJD stuff and the website , they also google it for me and that's when i knew i have to get one !

5. Um, I wasn't much of a dollie kid. I had some barbies, yeah, but I preferred G.I. Joes to them because they had better articulation. Articulation is also a huge huge attraction for me to BJDs. I mean, huge.

6. I always liked dolls, as all my old friends said "oh you're too old for dolls" i just kept it a secret that i still wanted to have dolls... since i have nothing to do with them anymore and i am more selfconfident now i just love to show that i love dolls, and that i am collecting them <3

7. I've always liked dolls too, even though I find some dolls can be a bit creepy.

8. I never liked dolls, but I did like plushes, Pokemon, Power Rangers... all of the "cool" or "boyish toys". Then I discovered Pullip/Taeyang and bought some of those, then moved on to some Tonner, and finally to BJDs. Honestly I thought BJDs were really freaky at first, and now I don't know how I could ever think that. They are the most beautiful dolls in the world. So I'm kind of surprised that I am in love with doll collecting now considering my history ;)

9. Did you hate doll as a child and now you cannot get away from them
      No, i liked dolls! I had barbies, action figures, etc. for the majority of my childhood. My sister and I got porcelain dolls on special occasions as well(which we still have). When i was a bit older i didn't play with or buy them as much, and at one point eventually stopped, my interests went to videogames and drawing and whatnot. XD;; Fast forward a few years and here we are! Collecting BJDs and a few other dolls.

and how did you get involve with doll in the 1 place?

I first saw a BJD in a magazine, it struck me as cute and i wanted one so bad! I wasn't able to get one for several years until i finally said 'Enough is enough! I'll save up for the doll!' I saved up my christmas money, collected all the loose change in the house, sold some of my manga collection, and did chores, two months later i had done it! I ordered my first doll a month after that and almost a year later my family has grown and is still growing(oh gosh a whole year haha!). My sister owns my first doll now, since he wasn't right for the character, but i still feel a bit of fondness for him, so i'm glad he gets to stay close. >///v//<

10. I never liked dolls as a kid. They always used to scare me, to be honest. Especially porcelain dolls, and those horrible clown dolls - which every kid seemed to have in the mid-90s. I love BJD because I like creating and customising I think. To be honest, other types of dolls still creep me out. ...I think reborn dolls are the worst, because of the uncanny valley factor. *shudder* xD;

11. I used to love dolls when I was a young girl. When I turned 8, I was "too old" for Barbies so I gave those away. I now love BJD's :)

12. Did you hate doll as a child and now you cannot get away from them
      I was never overly fond of dolls. The only ones I was ever given were "Collectible" meaning that I wasn't allowed to touch them. I left them all with my mother (who was the one who actually liked them) when I grew up and moved out.
      I did have a family of stuffed animals with complex relationships and backstories. Until I saw this post, I had actually rather forgotten all that. Apparently the bjds are filling a void I didn't realize was there. :)
      and how did you get involve with doll in the 1 place?

I stumbled into a panel about them at an anime convention and have been obsessed ever since!

13. Nope, I always loved them.

14. I absolutely detested dolls as a kid I assume I am making up for it now

15. I never liked dolls as a child, but I did like action figures (and plush toys). Regular dolls mostly ended up being used as targets when my brother and I were playing soldiers.

16. I never really hated dolls; I've always collected them at points in my life, then took breaks or changed the kind of dolls I collected depending on the ...mood? Then I took a break for a few years while I slowly migrated into and studied the BJD hobby and here I am now xD

17. Short answer:

I didn't like dolls as a kid. I had all the complete Fisher-price collection ( the house, the car, the minivan, etc.) But I never played with it much, my sister did. Then one Christmas my dad bought me the Fisher-price pirate boat and I was in heaven! I loved Fantasy as a kid, I wanted dragons, and animal figurines, stuff animals, and barbie horses (I still have my collection of twenty barbie horses to this day, which includes Nibbles the one that moves etc.). I would never play with dolls of any sort. Always give my barbies to my sister. But I loved figurines and action toys, I had the complete set of Ninja turtles as a kid. And when Pokemon hit the U.S. I had a lot of those toys.

Now I love BDJs. I still am not into barbies or franken high dolls, etc. Just anime figures and BJDs for me. The closest thing I have to a doll is my Little apple red doll. Thats it.

What got me into BJDs was ebay. I was looking up anime figures when I came a crossed the small Obsitsu dolls, which brought up the bigger ones which I then did a search and found Dream of Doll, fell in love with Elf Ducan, found DOA, Learned how to get him, and well, the rest is history :)

18. I didn't really like fashion dolls like Barbie when I was a kid: I thought their faces weren't cute at all, their bodies sadly lacking in articulation, and they couldn't even stand by themselves. I did own a vinyl, fabric-bodied, 15in baby doll for over a decade. It wasn't a collector's doll, just a child's toy that cost $3 at a discount store in 1996.

But when I saw bjds online in 2001 or so, I really wanted one (don't remember why, exactly; probably because they were the first articulated dolls I've seen). However Volks was the only company I knew, and they were ridiculously expensive to me at the time (they still are ridiculously expensive, but now I can afford it ;)). And from learning about bjds I found out about Momokos and other articulated plastic molded dolls from Japanese manufacturers, and have a couple of those as well, now.

19. i really wasn't interested in dolls. a new doll i would play with for a day or two and then stop. only two dolls stick out in my mind that i loved. one of them was a "water baby" did you ever see those? they were rubber baby dolls that you filled with water so they were squishy? i dont even know if that one counts because it was a care-bear water baby lol.

and the other was a little boy baby doll, i went through a "mommy" phase where i had to carry him everywhere and feed him and change his diaper and all that nonsense. but i think alot of that had to do with seeing alot of pregnant women around at that time.

but barbies and porcelains never held my interests more than a day or two. i had them, but i never really liked them. i preferred stuffed animals. i did enjoy displaying and dressing some bratz for a while because one of them was pretty punky and i thought it was a refreshing change from dolls i was used too.

the door to the doll world opened with living dead dolls and little apple dolls, i love little creepy things that are also cute and i soon became obsessed with LDD'S and LAD's, and from there i have become quite the doll collector, my BJDs are my favorites but ive even started to collect dolls that are similar to barbies and brats (monster high, i still have to have my dose of creepy/cute )

its always really strange for people who have not seen or heard from me in a long time to figure out how many dolls i have and how much i truly enjoy them. im really glad i didnt let the whole "your to old for dolls" thing get in my way. because this is a hobby i really do love. its a very big part of my life

20. I loved dolls as a kid, I loved my barbies. I grew out of it probably around 11-12? Then around my teens I started getting into anime and collecting anime dolls and figures and that's actually how I stumbled on BJDs! I was checking volks out for model kits and I saw, I think Megu first? It was a long time before I actually got a doll though. Definitely YEARS went by before I saved up for my first one :)

I saw BJDs cool since I first saw them, and followed the releases, volks, luts, custom house, etc, by the time I got my first one I think souldoll and soom were out already!