1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you purchase a "test" doll before fully committing to an aspect of the hobby?

Mar 2, 2015

1. I didn't want to purchase a test-doll but I think I ended up doing it anyway.
      I found a doll within my price-range that I thought I liked but I didn't bond with her at all (she was intended to be a certain character and I was not able to see the character in her) so even if she is no longer with me I think she served her purpose cause I learnt quite a bit about BJDs and about myself in that purchase.

2. 100% the same story as me. I got a Resinsoul An as my first doll years ago. He was very affordable and looked decent, but once I got him I realized he just wasn't a good fit for what I wanted. On the upside I learned a lot too! I got to practice modding and learned how NOT to treat a BJD :sweat Poor guy sure got banged up a lot....

3. I probably should of. Buuuuut I brought two dolls straight out. Waiting to get them. One is on layaway. And I'm entered in a Volks lottery.

4. My first doll was also my first hybrid.
      I did originally have the intention to start with an MSD instead of an SD to feel out the hobby. However, I went and bought an SD head. Now MSDs are not in my plans haha. I did end up buying a cheaper body to offset the cost though hahaha.

5. I am still waiting to buy my first real BJD...but it is scary, even tho I am a grown women! It is hard to know which dolls come as pieces, and which dolls are already together! If you don't really know anyone selling them, it is easy to be mislead on the internet...and i absolutely refuse to buy one that isn't authentic. I wish there was a way to buy a damaged doll, but everyone seems to know how to replace what is damaged! I am most interested in dressing the doll...and would like a MiniFee to dress up as a dancer from a Degas painting and and in Renaissance dress! I did buy a Blythe before I found this sight...just to see if I liked making smaller doll clothes than 18" size. <3

6. I never wanted to buy a alternative test doll (that I only like), because it'll be cheaper.
      I always wanted the real thing and a doll I really love from the start. :D
      In this case I really recommend to save money a little longer for your higher priced favourite doll.
      Because the cheaper one will probably never be the same. :kitty2

7. Hi :)
      No I didn't have a test doll. I saw my first bjd, fell in love and had to have him, was way out of my budget at the time but that didn't stop me lol saved up, and got him.

8. i brought a used doll that was in bad condition and said yep I want more

9. Never. My first doll (see my avatar) was my grail at the same time.

10. I tagged along on some dollmeets when I didnt own dolls just so I could interact with my friends'. There were all sizes and sculpts, so it really helped me make a decision there.

So all my dolls are ones I wanted right from the get-go. Pretty big ticket, seeing as I went straight for an SD and up hahahaha

11. I never did get a test doll. i just went "i want these. i'm 30 and the world is going to heck. might as well".

12. I don't do "test" anything, I find it is more financially sound to just go for the thing you want. I understand the "what if I don't like it?" fear but in most cases it can be resolved simply by waiting - not sure if you want something? Wait a year. And do research while you wait. If you STILL want it after being fully informed and a years wait than the likelihood of you liking it us pretty darn high. That's my take on it :)
      The first doll I ordered was my grail, that I eyed for years before taking the plunge. Every time I'm ordering the doll I ask myself "it this is the last doll you ever order, will you be satisfied with the choice?" and unless I can firmly say "yes" on the subject I put the order aside and think some more on it :)

13. I did not buy a test doll on purpose, but it sorta happened anyway. I thought I would want to collect mostly the MSD size assuming SD would be overwhelming and my first doll ended up being one of even smaller Soom faery legend boys that I fell in love with at a meet up. I still have him and love him, buy he made me realize I hate sewing teeny tiny things. I'm always worried I'll break something on him and since he's tiny any flaw, such as wig hair our of place, is way more apparent.

I've stuck mostly with SD since and I'm really glad I did. I find that size really satisfying. I did go all in on my first SD doll though, no test doll there.

14. I want to say sort of. So the doll I went with first will be my tester. Not necessarily for a face up customization but for dress up and making clothes. It wasn't my grail doll but I wanted to see if I could keep interest in bjd active and it in good condition.

15. Well yes I bought a test doll and I decided that I like bjd’s but I sold her long time ago tho :D I guess I couldn’t bond with her much

16. My first doll was a "test" doll. I never liked dolls before this hobby and didn't know how much I'd really like him, but I liked the idea of customizing him to whatever I wanted. I'm glad I still have him, he opened new doors for me.

17. An on-topic test doll? No. But I did buy a strung ABS Hujoo and an off-topic obitsu to see if I actually liked this hobby and could commit to it or if I just thought it was neat but not for me.
      My first (resin) doll was my favorite after doing a good bit of research, though she was kind of cheap ($190 for a MSD) :sweat

18. Oh, I kind of fit into both categories. I contemplated getting a more affordable doll for my first one and even made a list of cheaper dolls/doll companies to buy from, but ended up with going for Volks because of my then boyfriend/now husband and I honestly have been content ever since. Especially after encountering the alternative dolls in person at meet-ups shortly afterwards or from what my friend had access to (whether her personal collection or when she did face-ups for other people), it just reaffirmed my decision to stick with Volks with potentially buying from Iplehouse and Luts later on. Meeting other BJD owners in person or through here has helped a lot too with so many aspects as well such as what sizes/scales I did like or didn't like, if certain companies' resins were to my liking or caused me allergic reactions, where to buy clothes/shoes/accessories from, and so much more.

Funnily enough, I actually purchased a bunch of cheaper sewing machines (~$20) because I had a sewing phobia (childhood accident) so I thought going for the cheaper ones would help me get over it since they were smaller and not as loud/powerful. Unfortunately, I got more frustrated and wasn't successful with sewing projects as the sewing machines would break down or sew weirdly. Years later, after talking to my husband's aunt that is proficient in sewing (does a lot of quilting and has various sewing machines depending on whatever her sewing project is), I asked her what she recommended for a good beginner sewing machine that could grow with me in my skills over the years. I ended up putting on my wishlist for a Hello Kitty Janome sewing machine that had a metal internal mechanisms that was around the $200 mark at the time which was later given to me as gift by my in-laws. Using it coupled with taking sewing classes at Joanns made me realize I should have invested in a higher quality machine sooner (on top of taking classes). I'm at the point now where I want to have an embroidery machine, a serger sewing machine, and another sewing machine that would be more like a workhorse sewing machine with lots of functions for both clothing projects and quilting projects. Even though the Hello Kitty Jamone is still going strong, I kind of want to take care of it and let it sit prettily somewhere since it's worked so hard and so well for me over the years.

19. Kind of yes, kind of no.

I ended up making/3d printing my own test doll. My library had a free to use with materials provided 3d printer. wondering what i'd make, i thought of bjds that i'd seen and admired from afar on the internet years ago. there was a free bjd model on thingiverse that i took and modified and then printed at the library. inital clothes, eyes, and wig totaled about $30? It was so much work for the final product, but I ended being so pleased with the final product that i decided, yes, bjds were a thing for me that i'd invest more in.

There was head sculpt that i liked, but didn't like the body it came on, so i didn't get it and ended up impulse buying another (rather expensive) boy that i didn't really bond with... lol then i discovered the 2nd hand market and found the initial headsculpt i liked, bought it, bought a better body for it, and then sold my first doll.

20. I'd say I fall into both, too. I take a long, long time (years, no joke), and do a ton of research when making commitment purchases, so I wanted to make sure my enthusiasm for BJDs in general was worth the price tag. My budget wasn't through the roof, but I also knew I didn't want a doll I wasn't excited about. I chose a Dollshe Fashion Diana, partially because of the sale, but also because I legit think she's lovely.