1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did you see a doll in person before buying it?

Oct 4, 2017

1. I like to see the unedited pictures first. It's nice to see what they will look like dressed up but the closest I can get are pictures on the internet. I feel a lot of places try to bait and switch with what you are actually getting vs the pictures they had to sell it...

2. Nope. I bought my first bjd just looking at the picture. When I received, it is beyond my imagination, so beautiful and heavy. I thought will be like barbie doll size and weight and is plastic.

3. I had only seen pictures of bjds before I had purchased my doll. I do wish I had see a minifee in person before I bought my doll, so I could have gotten a better idea of the body style I was buying.

4. I hadn’t seen the specific doll I own before I bought her and the same goes for the boys I preordered. I had however seen other dolls in person at anime conventions before. Actually seeing those dolls is what made me want to get my own.

5. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to see BJDs displayed at an anime convention prior my first BJD purchase. They were Volks models, if I remember correctly. For the sculpts I've purchased, however, I have not seen them in real life thus far, only online. :)

6. Like most things bought online, it's not easy to get a view of the actual thing beforehand. The best way, as others have suggested, is to go to doll meets. There are also conventions, maybe doll shows or cons, or maybe friends or others who own dolls can help out.

I own well over 50 dolls and didn't see any bjds in-person before I bought one in 2004. But right as I got him home, I found out that friends owned bjds and we got together right away--so I've been seeing lots of bjds in meetups and conventions and doll shops since then. I usually do not see specific dolls before I buy them--but sometimes I do. I have seen one or two at meet-ups that I fell in love with and ended up buying later. And several times I've bought a doll at a bjd convention--so I got to see it before buying. But that is rare.

7. Not my first one, wich was a resinsoul mei, bought it from a pic, but this year i was on a little
      Dollfair, and there i saw very different ones for the first time.
      So ebody walked around with a momonita and i found it the cutest little
      One i have seen...

8. The closest I could get to seeing a doll in person was watching unboxing-type videos online...still, thanks to those, I got a way better sense of how big some of these dolls actually were!

9. Not the specific one I ended up buying, but I went to a couple of meet-ups to see and handle some dolls before I bought any. It helped me narrow down what size I wanted to get, and I was able to get a lot of questions answered on how to handle and care for them. My friend used to travel to doll shows in Japan quite often and took a lot of pictures, and I did a lot of research before choosing my first doll.

10. No, I don't. but I just bought a blank head for face-up practicing first before I bought my really first Doll.

11. Yes! My first two dolls I bought at a doll cafe in Korea, so I got to gaze at them closely and handle them a bit before purchasing.

12. Nope, my first head was sent to me as a gift from a friends I had never seen a bjd before in my life! Going to a meet next weekend so I'm excited to see full dolls for the first time!

13. I wish I could see one, but there are no stores here, and all the meets are on the other side of the state. So I will just have to go by pictures and what I can find here.

14. Nope! I just took a leap of faith. :whee: However, I'd love to see some of the ones on my wishlist first.

15. I'd never, repeat, NEVER seen a ball-jointed doll in real life before buying one. Even now I'm the only person I know locally who has one.

16. Never. Only pictures online or youtube videos with dolls. So when my box finally arrived I was so exited, didn't know what to expect. Because you can't even compare the pictures and the real one ♥

17. If I could, I definitely would. But so far I'm stuck to unboxing videos and reviews of the doll first. :)

18. The only dolls I saw before buying is my Irrealdoll Enoki ^^ and my Doll Chateau Bella ^^ that I saw at a convention

19. Yes I did ..
      it's always nice if you can have to such an access
      I lived in japan so i have access to see lots of dolls in real from store and i can decide if i like them or not
      Or volks events as well.
      It's always benefits you the most

20. No, I didn't. To be honest the only I have seen in person is my own luts doll.