1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did your FIRST doll come with a faceup? - Pt.2

Dec 10, 2017

1. I've updated my doll faceup and also made her new eyes :3nodding:

This is one of the reasons I wanted to start with a cheap doll, just in case i messed up something (faceup, clothes, eyes, anything)

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

2. For me. Yes. When I first time buy. I don't know how to get faceup So I Just buy one with faceup

3. I bought my first doll blank, and I was really excited to paint her myself. I have been painting for decades, and figured if I can paint well on paper and canvas, why not resin faces? So I was pretty confident. I did a halfway decent job on her, too....but it was more the sculpt than my skill. She was an incredibly realistic sculpt (Elfdoll Rita) and the amazing detail in her face did so much of the work for me. I realized that as soon as I tried to do faceups on dolls with less realistic sculpting...and ended up floundering around making a mess of their faces. I may have lots of experience with art, but my art style doesn't lend itself well to the type of faceups I want on my dolls...I use lots of heavy contrast, bright colors, stylized shapes and sharp lines in my paintings, but the faceups I want are super realistic. I've since found that it's more enjoyable for me to have someone else paint my dolls than to try to force myself to practice a style of art I don't really like doing so that I can paint my own dolls.

4. yes, she was. I had to do my first face up on her.

5. I'm in a situation similar to thedarkeststar13 as well... :sweat I've been an artist for years and thought oh the face is all done for me, this should be a piece of cake!

My first doll came with her factory faceup, which I immediately removed, thinking I could do better and...
      [​IMG]

Not really. That was her original on the left, and my attempt on the right. :...( Astrid you poor thing, oh what I've put you through. Rest assured though, I redid it several times after that and currently she has a face (by me--practice does honestly make... better?) that I find quite agreeable.

[​IMG]

6. I got mine with a face up too!
      But had it wiped of in few months later.
      I didn’t dislike the face up but the character I want her to be finally became clear to me so I decided to said good by to her default face up!
      I’m actually waiting for the head to be arrived after commissioning some artist to do their face up 2 months ago. I’m so excited :D

7. @PurpleCheeseStick you did improve thru practice! I actually like your current faceup better than the original default.

8. Awww thank you! ImI glad to hear it ^__^

9. I wanted to paint my dolls myself from the very beginning. It feels more personal to me and this way their faceup styles all match.

10. My first doll was a gift, and part of the gift? A face up to match the OC he was shelling! He still has it, and even with a few minor oopses from his tendency to surprise swan dive, it still looks great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
      (sorry for the wig frizz, I'm testing the color on him before I buy The Wig)
      Faceup by Quetz!

11. I bought my first doll with a faceup, and I think I would've left the hobby pretty fast if I got her blank. I've wanted to do faceups since I found out what faceups were, but I found that particular learning curve incredibly disheartening once I finally wiped her. (Should have just bought a practice head.... stupid.)
      You blank doll first-timers are so brave! <3

12. I bought my first doll with a faceup because I was way too scared to try to do it myself (and still am)! But my goal is to try to do the faceup of one of my dolls one day!

13. My first doll came without a faceup. I attempted it but I was so terrible! Then I won a giveaway on tumblr for a faceup with a really great artist who was just starting out and as soon as my doll had a custom faceup I fell in love with her. I still kept ordering dolls without faceups though, and with each attempt I got a little bit better. I prefer custom faceups - either done by an artist or by myself. If I had lots of money I’d probably have more artist faceups but I find I bond the best with my dolls when I’ve painted them myself.

14. My first one did not have any face up, she still needs a better on as the one she got from me.:lol:

15. Nope! My fourth doll is coming with the faceup though— I’m hoping it comes with the freckles (Doll Chateau Snowborn)! If not, I’ll play it by ear.:kitty2

16. My first doll come with face-up although that's because my friend help me find artist to make up her.

17. My first doll came without a face up, because I wanted to do them myself. I was afraid of it first, Moreover because she was tanned, and... well, I just gave it a try and it worked out for me.
      To be honest, I only have one doll with company face up and did all my doll’s face ups myself ever since I joined the hobby.

18. I find face ups to be the best part about this doll hobby so of course I get them all blank :D. I had some oopsies the first time but I've done some practicing since then :]
      Quite a bit of research is required for the best and safest materials though

19. I agree with the demonunicorn that face up is one of the best parts in our hobby. After all, this allows you to create a unique image for the doll. That's why all my dolls came blank. And I did face-up on each of them myself. I had many, many oopsies the first ;) and keep getting them. But I think the main thing is to keep trying.

#59 Tornny, May 24, 2018
      Last edited: May 24, 2018
    20. i got my first doll without a faceup because the company faceup is very plain