1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Did your FIRST doll come with a faceup? - Pt.2

Dec 10, 2017

1. I ordered my first doll blank, but the production time was so slow that another doll arrived to me in the meantime that I purchased from the MP that did come with a faceup. I had plans to send the blank doll to a faceup artist when it arrived.

2. Um... sort of? My first doll was secondhand, and she arrived with a half-finished faceup that the previous owner had tried. Of course I bought it with the intention of wiping it and starting from scratch though.

I came to this hobby through the fashion doll repaint hobby, so I had no interest in a doll that already has a face. The whole point is customization! (for me, anyways)

3. yes, my first one did. i loved the company faceup and thought that starting with a blank doll would be too intimidating right from the start. since my first bjd wasn't an oc of mine i didn't feel the need to go so customized - later ones though, are being planned out closely with room for different faceups!

4. Yes, all three of mine did, actually. I'm a horrible procrastinator, so I figured if I shell out for the company faceup (or in the case of my DC Jodie, he already had a custom faceup from a previous owner), I'll have a doll right out of the box I can take pretty pictures of. I'll get around to trying my hand at faceups one of these days.

5. Mine came with a face-up, but he was secondhand and an amazing deal-- he was basically the full set doll for the same as the blank one. I like his default faceup, but I think I'm gonna wipe it sometime and give faceups a try.

6. Yes, I ordered my first doll directly from the company with face up. Since then, I always buy blank dolls as I like to do the face up myself :kitty2

7. I got the default faceup. I didn't want my doll to have a blank face while I waited to commission a faceup artist haha

8. Yes. My first doll came with a face-up since I still want to practice mine until I actually do them on a resin doll. I didn't want to wait until I felt more comfortable doing my own and have a blank doll sitting around forever.

9. I got the default faceup for my first doll, and she's kept it since. It's been four years and I honestly can't imagine her with any other faceup.

10. Mine came with his factory faceup and still has it. I was too nervous to get him blank and try my hand at painting on resin. I was practicing on off topic dolls at the time since they were much cheaper and I wasn't worried about staining them. I took a couple of years away from the hobby but I'm getting ready to start practicing again and he should be getting a new face before the end of the year.

11. Yes, I would never buy a doll without a faceup because I'm in this hobby purely for the aesthetics not the artsy side of it. That and I would find it both difficult and inconvenient to send my doll off somewhere for a faceup, I just prefer to get it one and done with the company.

12. I don’t yet have a doll, but my first one will not have a faceup. Doing that sort of customization is what drew me to the hobby in the first place, so it’s easier than having to wipe her. I’m waiting until I get decent enough at faceups that I feel I can do a doll justice, then I’m allowed to order my first full doll.

13. My first doll didn't have a faceup because I was absolutely determined I would do it myself!
      Oh wow.... I learned pretty quickly that not only were faceups difficult for me (no art background), they're especially difficult on a >7" head! However, my initial failure with that first tiny doll face gave me the drive to keep practicing faceups to get better. It was such a defining experience for me beginning the hobby. The struggle all those years ago is funny for me to think about now but it certainly wasn't funny back then! :lol:

14. Both of mine have company faceups on them; I don't have the skills for faceup stuff and I'm not a fan of them blank at first, so to me it's worth it to have a default faceup at least when I order from the company.

15. @ker246 That’s exactly why I’ll be diving in headfirst with a 1/3 doll! *_*

16. LOL I support that decision! I have zero plans to attempt a smaller-than-SD-sized faceup ever again. I have so many SD floating heads that are a ton of fun to practice faceups on. Having a bigger canvas definitely helps!

17. My first doll was a full set, I just wanted to see what a resin doll was, so I bought the tiniest I found.
      Then I decided to live plainly my new hobby so I bought all my other dolls blank and did everything myself.

18. Even though I've worked with all sorts of art mediums in the past I still have yet to reach a point where I'm comfortable enough to work on an expensive doll. @_@ I'll get there, someday! But for now, all of my dolls have come with faceups so far, including my first one.

19. Mine both came with face-ups. I don't know how to paint. I would like to re-do Lele's eyebrows at some point because I think it would change his expression, but I don't know if I would have the courage to do it.

20. My dolls came with face-ups because I was too afraid to do them myself and damage the dolls. My next doll will be my first without face-up because I want to shell a very special character. At the moment I don‘t feel like wiping any of my doll‘s current face-ups because I would feel terrible about it... I think I am a bit special when it comes to this xD